Cross-Gen Games' Save Data Won't Transfer to Xbox One or PS4

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Cross-Gen Games' Save Data Won't Transfer to Xbox One or PS4

Switching to a next-gen console means starting with a clean slate, even with the games you were already playing.

Sony, Microsoft and other publishers have announced that they will cut players a deal on re-purchasing Xbox 360 and/or PS3 games when they upgrade to their next-gen counterparts. Players who buy any of this season's cross-gen games like Call of Duty: Ghosts, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, or Watch Dogs on current-gen consoles can get the games on PS4 or Xbox One for a comparatively low fee. ($10 seems to be the going rate. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127062-Activision-Reveals-Call-of-Duty-Ghosts-PS4-Upgrade-Offer]) That sounds like a good deal for die-hard fans who won't want to wait to get their hands on the high-profile games they've been waiting for, especially if a day-one console purchase isn't in their future, but there is a catch: Players who "upgrade" from one console to the next will not be able to continue from where they left off on their PS3/Xbox 360 games.

EA and Activision both confirmed to Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/how-to-upgrade-ps3-games-to-ps4-games-1355938247] that single-player data for their cross-gen games, including Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4, will not transfer from one console to another. On the bright side, EA and Activision did say that players' multiplayer progress in those games would carry over from one platform to the other.

Ubisoft sang a similar tune regarding Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag: Campaign save data will from current-gen versions will not be compatible with the Xbox One or PS4 versions. Ubisoft did not confirm whether Watch Dogs, a title that won't be available before the PS4 launches, would face similar restrictions. Ubisoft did not confirm whether ACIV's multiplayer progression would be transferrable.

Though disappointing, the news should not come as a surprise. There is no substantial precedent set for cross-generation save data transfers, especially considering that neither Xbox One or PS4 will be backwards compatible.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/you-can-upgrade-some-big-fall-games-to-next-gen-but-th-1383775591]

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
The only game on that list where fans would actually give a shit about their multiplayer data is CoD: Ghosts. Because I'm fairly certain nobody gives a rat's ass about the Single player game.

However games like AC: Black Flag? That's horrible!
Why would anyone give a shit about their multiplayer stuff being intact?
What kind of consolation prize is that? I'm pretty sure more people care about the fact that their long hours of single player gameplay will be wiped clean provided they "upgrade" to the newer consoles.

I mean, at that point you might as well just wait for the PS4/Xbox One to come out before putting down your purchase. Saves you an extra $10.00 and you didn't invest in your save file.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
When I got my new computer, all my saves transferred over just fine. /pcelitism

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
And my interest in the next console generation takes another... oh wait it's Call of Duty, never mind I don't care.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Well this doesn't bother me really in the slightest at all. Mainly because I generally have the habit of deleting all my game saves for some games from time to time and then just restarting the whole thing from scratch.
I even do it for my PC and Nintendo games, which have the ability to transfer the saves, and in this case are backwards compatible. For me I use the idea that I can't transfer my game saves as "oh, well looks like I get to start over and have all the fun again" and that's usually the case for me.

For others I can only see it being a problem for those who wanna keep their multiplayer stuff for Call of Duty, but honestly that's really it.

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
So I guess this makes the current gen version of Dragon Age Inquisition the much better version in my view, if you want to transfer your save data from the past two games into the third.

Btw I love how it's just multiplayer only data we can tranfer, I made a topic about how game companies would just love to do away with Single Player in favor of multiplayer only games like Titanfall. I think this could be a sign, or something.

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
"No precedent"? What about being able to use PS1 memory cards in a PS2, the PS2 memory card adapter for the 60GB PS3, or the Gamecube memory card slot in the early Wiis?

This may sound like I'm upset, but I'm not. Just bummed. I understand if converting the save files is an issue. The Xbox save files had the same issue with the 360, even disregarding the differently-shaped ports for the memory cards.

I have to say, this does make the whole upgrading process a bit pointless, especially for AC4 and Watch_Dogs. I hope they get this worked out by the time they get the online PS3 games formatted for the PS4. I have heard that the Gaikai streaming is going to be how Sony does backwards compatibility (pop in the PS3 disc and streaming the game is free; supposedly this came out in a recent press release; please prove me wrong if I am), so transferring save files would be useful there.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
The really annoying thing about this is cloud saves should make it easier to transfer over, yet no-one seems to be interested in bothering.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
This is pants on head retarded. I can understand not being able to transfer a save from an Xbone or PS4 to a XBox360 or PS3, but from the older to the newer generation? Can't think why they can't do that. So much for cloud saves.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Easy solution is waiting for the game on the new console. Like before most people want the game once it comes out. Letting people upgrade to the new version for $10 isn't nice of them I guess. But even as they mentioned that upgrade I knew it wouldn't include saved games/files. Just doesn't make sense that they would with all the "No backward compatibility" both consoles stated from the start. So losing your progress should have been expected. If they could transfer the files and data, then people would start to ask how backwards compatibility wasn't possible. That would be a very hard question to answer should they had performed it.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
This is ridiculous. What's the point of upgrading a primarily single player title if you have to start from scratch? What makes multiplayer save data so much different from single player data? You might as well not bother upgrading, or wait until the next gen versions come out before you buy.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Figured as much, which is why I'll happily wait. Watchdogs was really the only game that spurned my interest, and I would say I pretty lukewarm to that already.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
J Tyran said:
The really annoying thing about this is cloud saves should make it easier to transfer over, yet no-one seems to be interested in bothering.
Easier in the same way that transferring your pc save data to a console is.

Infernal Lawyer said:
This is ridiculous. What's the point of upgrading a primarily single player title if you have to start from scratch? What makes multiplayer save data so much different from single player data? You might as well not bother upgrading, or wait until the next gen versions come out before you buy.
Its not actually save data for multiplayer. They are just tracking your progress which isnt tied to a type of console.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
A better question would be why would you make two different ways to code a savefile for the same game? its as if the developers intentianlly wanted to make it harder.