South Park: The Stick of Truth Hits Stores December 10

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
South Park: The Stick of Truth Hits Stores December 10

It's official: South Park: The Stick of Truth will just make it out by year's end.

Hear ye. Hear ye. South Park: The Stick of Truth, the game destined to break the record for "most powerful fart in an RPG," will hit stores December 10, Ubisoft announced today.

The Stick of Truth, the long-awaited South Park RPG, has survived a rocky development cycle. Originally announced by now-defunct publisher THQ in 2011, Ubisoft purchased the rights to The Stick of Truth at auction earlier this year. The sale, made without the permission of South Park's creators, prompted a short-lived "development limbo." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121647-South-Park-Studios-Fights-THQ-Over-Sale-of-The-Stick-of-Truth]

Before you ask: Yes, of course there will be a collector's edition. The $79.99 "Grand Wizard Edition" of Stick of Truth comes with six-inch Cartman wizard figurine, a map of "the kingdom of South Park" and the "Ultimate Fellowship Pack" DLC, which gives players four in-game class-specific outfits: The Necromancer Sorcerer, Rogue Assassin, Ranger Elf and Holy Defender. The "Ultimate Fellowship Pack" will also be available as a pre-order bonus for the standard edition.

[gallery=1795]

Want to know more about South park: The Stick of Truth? Check out our E3 preview [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/9685-E3-Preview-South-Park-The-Stick-of-Truth].

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Too bad Matt and Trey didn't win that legal dispute; Ubisoft was the worst company to have gotten it's hands on it. Now it's going to have Uplay awkwardly shoved up its ass so that it's only playable once you log in to their servers. I used to be really excited for this game, but now I think I won't buy it.

Ubisoft burnt any good will they had with me when they renigged on the removal of the always on requirement for From Dust by forcing you to log in to Uplay in order to play the game. I showed my support of the removal by finally buying From Dust the day its always-on requirement was removed, and that show of support was rewarded by Ubisoft spitting in my face.

Link XL1

Apr 6, 2010
it looked really good, and then i saw day one dlc... now it doesnt look so good...

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I was really excited about the game until Ubisoft showed up on the scene. If it requires a UPlay account then I'll be avoiding it.

It would be funny if there was a South Park episode about arseholic publishers putting always online DRM on games...

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
I was really excited about the game until Ubisoft showed up on the scene. If it requires a UPlay account then I'll be avoiding it.

It would be funny if there was a South Park episode about arseholic publishers putting always online DRM on games...
Same here. No way I'm going to bother with UPlay.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Based on the amount of coverage this game has gotten I'd kind of just assumed it had been released already.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
Too bad Matt and Trey didn't win that legal dispute; Ubisoft was the worst company to have gotten it's hands on it. Now it's going to have Uplay awkwardly shoved up its ass so that it's only playable once you log in to their servers. I used to be really excited for this game, but now I think I won't buy it.
And it's getting pre-order DLC, after Matt and Trey did their "fuck DLC" speech a while back.

I love Obsidian and I enjoy South Park, but I despise Ubisoft. So conflicted. :/

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
KeyMaster45 said:

Ubisoft burnt any good will they had with me when they renigged on the removal of the always on requirement for From Dust by forcing you to log in to Uplay in order to play the game. I showed my support of the removal by finally buying From Dust the day its always-on requirement was removed, and that show of support was rewarded by Ubisoft spitting in my face.
I have yet to hear from any credible sources that UPlay is required. Mind telling me where you got that info? It wouldn't surprise me is it were mandatory but I'd rather get on the hate train after I get the proper info.

LegendaryVKickr

Jul 20, 2012
Honestly, the one good thing about THQ going under was it attracted more of my attention to this game, and it looks really fun. I don't love Ubisoft, but considering Trey and Matt are directly involved in this, that implies that this game, on their level at least, is being given proper attention and respect. May not be ready to drop money on it since it's Ubisoft, but maybe it'll be a Xmas gift.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
So it's going to have taken them seven or however many months to change the names that flash up before the 'Press Start' screen?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Genocidicles said:
So it's going to have taken them seven or however many months to change the names that flash up before the 'Press Start' screen?
More Matt and Trey didn't want Ubisoft to release it and claimed that under the contract they and THQ signed the rights to the game would default back to them in the event of shit going south.

Looks like they lost the battle.

Good thing I already canceled my pre-order months ago, Uplay is an automatic 'pick up form the bargain bin' flag for me if I even buy it at all.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
pandorum said:
Come on guys its only a fucking costume you do not need to pre-order the game.
Only one person is complaining about Day One DLC, almost everyone else is complaining about Ubisoft keeping the rights or that Uplay coming along for the ride because Ubisoft is keeping the rights.