Level-5's New RPG Wonder Flick Gameplay Trailer

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Level-5's New RPG Wonder Flick Gameplay Trailer

<youtube=V75VQc1dyrE>​
Developer of Ni no Kuni and Professor Layton, Level-5's Wonder Flick is equally cartoony and fanciful.

A new RPG is coming Japan's way from developer Level-5 as they work on a new RPG with exploration and turn-based combat. A new trailer published by the Japanese PlayStation YouTube channel shows a lot of gameplay, cartoony and beautiful visuals, and music scored by Nobuo Uematsu.

The RPG will be released on both current- and future-gen consoles as well as mobile devices with shared save data across every platform and exclusives on each. Players customize their own avatars to travel across a field map in a linear fashion and fight monsters. The game launches on consoles next year and on smartphones in Japan this November.

According to Level-5 International America's press release [http://level5ia.com/news/level-5-international-america-recaps-the-level5-vision-2013-line-up/], the company wants to take "the industry by storm with its introduction of a gaming revolution, UNIPLAY--a seamless cross-platform gaming experience allowing users the choice of where, when, and how they play a game by accessing a single shared save data from any device."

Wonder Flick will be the first title with UNIPLAY. The player washes ashore in a world nobody has seen before, where a kingdom is in need of saving and dragons inhabit the earth.

There's no localization announced right now. Past Level-5 games have taken years to localize. Ni no Kuni had a 2011 Japanese release and a NA and EU release this year. Level-5 fans who want this RPG may have to wait a couple years.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V75VQc1dyrE]

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
*pats on console games shelf* Right here. Saved you a seat next to Kingdom Hearts 3.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
roseofbattle said:
According to Level-5 International America's press release, the company wants to take "the industry by storm with its introduction of a gaming revolution, UNIPLAY--a seamless cross-platform gaming experience allowing users the choice of where, when, and how they play a game by accessing a single shared save data from any device."
Let's see here... What if I want to play Wonder Flick on my PC (which, assuredly, I'm not the only one)? And what I don't have, or want a PS4, and don't have a phone or tablet that can handle it?

Yeah... The thing you got to realize here is that in order for UNIPLAY can be useful, none - And I mean none - of the titles can be exclusive to a single device or manufacturer. And from that I can tell in the video, looks like it's only PS4, phones and tablets right now.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I was loving this... right up until I saw the overworld map. COME OOOOOON! Is it so wrong to want a traditional, explorable over world map? I know, in the end, it's just as linear as this point to point thing, but it feels more open.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
If aliens were to invade and judge Japan as a nation based on anime and games they make, they would think everyone in Japan is a pedophile. Children and teenagers as protagonists in most of what they do is just too funny speaking from a creative stand point.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
You know what this trailer gives me serious vibes of? Chrono Trigger. And to me, that is a pretty good thing. Plus, the music is composed by the guy who's basically the Japanese video game equivalent of John Williams and Danny Elfman. I'd say this is going onto my list of things to look forward to... :)

Penguinplayer

Mar 31, 2009
I absolutely loved Ni no Kuni. I believe Level 5 International didn't exist when Ni no Kuni came out in Japan, so hopefully now they will be able to speed up the process and it won't take years for it to come out here.

Dr.Awkward said:
And from that I can tell in the video, looks like it's only PS4, phones and tablets right now.
That's because it's the Playstation video on the japanese Playstation YouTube channel. Wonderflick will come out on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Wii U, PS Vita, iOS, and Android.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Penguinplayer said:
Dr.Awkward said:
And from that I can tell in the video, looks like it's only PS4, phones and tablets right now.
That's because it's the Playstation video on the japanese Playstation YouTube channel. Wonderflick will come out on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Wii U, PS Vita, iOS, and Android.
Oh come on... Japan really needs to realize where the Western fanbases from its past - and their money - has gone to. Is it consoles? No! Is it handhelds and mobile devices? No! Tell me, have any of them at least tried putting enough of serious effort into a PC release (or less preferably a port) yet? I'd bet there would be a lot of money there for a game like this. Just saying...