3DS Surpasses Lifetime Wii Sales in Japan

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
3DS Surpasses Lifetime Wii Sales in Japan

Nintendo 3DS software made up 60% of top Japanese game sales this week, helped in no small part by Monster Hunter 4.

A lot of gamers turn up their noses at Nintendo's Wii system these days, but a few short years ago it was widely considered the future of gaming. The humble unit once dominated its competitors in sales, despite a graphical disadvantage, prompting Microsoft and Sony to rush out their own motion controls with limited success. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89278-Wii-Sales-Fall-in-Japan>Considering that the Wii's prospects changed late this generation, how is Nintendo faring as we move into the next? Pretty well, actually, if you live in Japan. That's where the Nintendo 3DS has successfully surpassed the original Wii's lifetime sales, putting a combined 12,752,731 units into the hands of gamers.

Japanese 3DS units aren't just collecting dust either. This week's software sales charts, provided by sales tracking group Media Create, show 3DS software sales overwhelming everything else. 12 of the top 20 handheld games are 3DS titles, with Monster Hunter 4 selling 159,388 copies in the past week alone. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127853-Monster-Hunter-4-Sells-Two-Million-Units-in-Four-Days>And that's actually a drop from last week.

01. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4
02. [PSV] Yahari Game Demo Ore no Seishun Love-Kome Hamachi Gatteiru
03. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Real Reborn
04. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life
05. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
06. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life
07. [3DS] Nobunaga's Ambition
08. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf
09. [3DS] Youkai Watch
10. [PSP] La Corda d'Oro 3: Full Voice Special
11. [PSP] Brothers Conflict: Brilliant Blue
12. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle
13. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
14. [PS3] Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist
15. [3DS] Mario Kart 7
16. [3DS] Romance of the Three Kingdoms
17. [PS3] AKB1/149: Love Election
18. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2
19. [PS3] Phantom Breaker: Extra
20. [3DS] Mushi Bugyou
It's too early in the generation to say if the 3DS will remain on top. The PlayStation Vita's recent price cut and upcoming console releases could easily shift the balance, at least in North America if not Japan. Still, considering the record-breaking sales the Wii achieved in its heyday, the trend is probably worth keeping an eye on.

Source: Joystiq

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I think it certainly says something about the Vita when 2 PsP games are just 8 ranks below the only Vita game on the charts.

Still, good to see the 3DS getting some more support (totally not saying that because I just got one nope [sub](sssssshhhhh)[/sub])

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
So, I looked up #17 in an image search and I'm rather confused about what that game(if it's a game) is.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Not surprised. Unlike the west, Japan REALLY loves Monster Hunter. I mean, it's really, REALLY popular. They actually had a MMO, several of the games were only released in Japan. It also is more of a "killer app" market, willing to wait to buy a system for a single game.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
-Dragmire- said:
So, I looked up #17 in an image search and I'm rather confused about what that game(if it's a game) is.
It looks like some kind of idol management simulator/dating sim thing with, instead of pictures, real girls.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Fanghawk said:
It's too early in the generation to say if the 3DS will remain on top. The PlayStation Vita's recent price cut and upcoming console releases could easily shift the balance, at least in North America if not Japan.
Sounds like wishful thinking IMO, the 3DS lead is so massive that I don't think there's any chance of it being overtaken. The Vita could get much stronger but I don't think it has any chance at actually taking the top spot.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
I can see this happening, considering I'm about to go buy a 3DS of my own later today. Just WAIT till Pokemon XY comes out, those numbers are going to climb even higher.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
I think it certainly says something about the Vita when 2 PsP games are just 8 ranks below the only Vita game on the charts.

Still, good to see the 3DS getting some more support (totally not saying that because I just got one nope [sub](sssssshhhhh)[/sub])
Actually I think it says more about the PSP or possibly Sony. Having a Vita game in second place does mean it's selling quite well and so does a PSP game in 10th place. I'm actually quite impressed with Sony's support for their older consoles. Also I am quite happy to see what game holds the second place. Its success might mean a second season.

KDR_11k said:
Fanghawk said:
It's too early in the generation to say if the 3DS will remain on top. The PlayStation Vita's recent price cut and upcoming console releases could easily shift the balance, at least in North America if not Japan.
Sounds like wishful thinking IMO, the 3DS lead is so massive that I don't think there's any chance of it being overtaken. The Vita could get much stronger but I don't think it has any chance at actually taking the top spot.
I am always one to say we should withhold judgement and I have to say I agree here. The 3DS currently holds 85% of the market (a number which seems to be increasing a little bit by bit) so the Vita overtaking the 3DS seems unlikely. With the 2DS which cost less and the upcoming generation of Pokemon I expect Nintendo to move some more units in the coming month. I do think that Sony might be able to secure a bigger market share than their currently 15%, but they've got a long way to go to reach the top.

Edit: Just checked up some statistics from before GTA V was released. Monster Hunter 4 was the best selling game globally selling almost 6 times more than number 2 on the list. That's impressive for a game only released in one region. In hardware sales the 3DS was on top (more than 3 times higher than number PS3 ranked second) mainly because of Japanese sales. Yeah, Monster Hunter is an amazing console mover.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
uchytjes said:
-Dragmire- said:
It looks like some kind of idol management simulator/dating sim thing with, instead of pictures, real girls.
It's one of the Idol Group AKB48 Games, where the fans will buy multiple copies despite the quality of the game. It's really a bad game, but the fans of AKB48 is countless and are willing to fork out money.

and The top selling Vita game is actually a Visual Novel adapted from a Light Novel, and Both PSP games in those list are also Visual Novels for the female demographic.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Yopaz said:
I am always one to say we should withhold judgement and I have to say I agree here. The 3DS currently holds 85% of the market (a number which seems to be increasing a little bit by bit) so the Vita overtaking the 3DS seems unlikely. With the 2DS which cost less and the upcoming generation of Pokemon I expect Nintendo to move some more units in the coming month. I do think that Sony might be able to secure a bigger market share than their currently 15%, but they've got a long way to go to reach the top.
Indeed, it seems to me that Nintendo would have to actually stop selling the 3DS and for all those potential sales to magically turn into Vita sales, for the Vita to stand a chance. Even then I'd like to see what the software sales charts looked like.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
uchytjes said:
-Dragmire- said:
That makes far more sense than what I thought, I figured a movie was accidentally included in the game list.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
hazabaza1 said:

SomeLameStuff said:
I can see this happening, considering I'm about to go buy a 3DS of my own later today. Just WAIT till Pokemon XY comes out, those numbers are going to climb even higher.
You guys gonna buy the normal ones or the XL? I've recently started heavily wanting one myself and while I really kinda want the XL, I can get the normal for about half price, new. And every deal on ebay/gumtree (a local ebay...thing) has been snapped up like instantly, so paying $100 less is looking pretty good. Thoughts?

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
KDR_11k said:
Fanghawk said:
Yeah, that was a truly bizarrely optimistic prediction in Sony's favour. Easily? Hardly. It's not beyond the realm of possibility, of course, but it wouldn't be easy and it wouldn't be any time soon, it'd likely take the Vita well beyond the point where Nintendo retires the 3DS to reach those kind of sales.

Another important thing to remember is that the 3DS has had such phenomenal sales all without its biggest "killer app": Pokemon. The first 3DS pokemon title has yet to hit, but regardless the system managed to sell like crazy with just one hiccup early on.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Wait, Nobunaga's Ambition? Romance of 3 Kingdoms?
Are they remakes of the Koei games, or just ports?

I'm gonna google the crap out of them now ... I played the whole Koei library to death back in the day.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Great to hear, the system is has been the mot attractive by far this year. Now if only the Wii U can make such an amazing turn around as the 3DS did. I think it's possible, but it will be a lot harder for Nintendo to pull that off.

Sicht

Jun 4, 2011
I'm surprised sony keeps trying their hands at the handheld console race. They keep messing up because it's just one of those type of markets that nintendo has a strangle hold on. The original psp while enjoyable was hard to compare to the ds imo.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Sicht said:
I'm surprised sony keeps trying their hands at the handheld console race. They keep messing up because it's just one of those type of markets that nintendo has a strangle hold on. The original psp while enjoyable was hard to compare to the ds imo.
The Vita would of done just fine had they not fucked up to high hell the price of the memory cards.
Just a 4GB one costs around $20.00. The more worth it 16GB is basically the cost of a new game.
That was practically suicide for the handheld. Especially when it relies to much on downloaded titles for the bulk of it's library.