Sean Bean Narrates Train Simulator 2014 Launch Trailer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sean Bean Narrates Train Simulator 2014 Launch Trailer

Sean Bean - yes, that Sean Bean - explains why the Train Simulator games are so much more popular than you think they are.

Train Simulator 2014 launched today and once again we may now all take a moment to ask, who buys these things, anyway? It's just mundane, workaday stuff, right? Why would anyone bother making a game about it - and more to the point, who would play them?

People who like trains, that's who - and there are a lot of them. Sean Bean says so, and as far as I'm concerned if it's good enough for Sean Bean then it's good enough for me - and for you. "They want the destination," Bean intones, referring to the day-in, day-out passengers who ride the trains without ever actually noticing them. "We are different. We are many. We are rail fans."

When I first started watching this trailer I expected some kind of ironic twist - assumed it, really - but it's straight-up sincere from start to finish, and better for it, I think. A tad saccharine, perhaps, but heartfelt and honest, too. It's a nice change. And here's something else to think about: As a Twitter [https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/383249169172815873] friend put it, "Train Simulator makes enough money that they put out trailers narrated by Sean Bean now."

And before you ask, no, he doesn't die at the end. But it really is him.

Train Simulator 2014 [http://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/] is out now on Steam and in fine retail outlets on the other side of the ocean.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
That...woah...

That really is a damn inspiring trailer, I love the monologue there. Damn well written with damn good narration.

Gosh I'm actually taken aback by that. I did not see that coming. And if it's supported by Ned Stark, well, must-buy isn't it? Definite GOTY.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Beautiful. And odd. Because I saw a lot of myself in there; I'm one of those "head down, headphones on"-guys. I do appreciate the views at times, but it's mostly a means to an end to me, yes.
A colleague of mine actually went on a holiday recently specifically to ride trains from place to place. I guess he's different than me.
Still, I couldn't help but "squee" a little at recognizing a number of German trains, trainstations and other locations I have actually seen firsthand.
I really, really doubt I'll get Train Simulator 2014, because it's just not my kind of game. But that trailer? That was amazing. Kudos.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I half expected him to die halfway through the trailer.

For serious though, I've never quite understood the fascination people have for trains. Cars I get, even if I'm not into them. But large machines that just go forwards on rails? Eh, to each their own.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Beautifully narrated. Aww, that made me feel all warm and fuzzy. The feeling will last until tomorrow morning when I'm standing at the platform waiting for ScotRail's shambling wrecks to trundle me into town.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
If this wasn't for a game it'd make a damn fine advert for the British rail services. o_O

I am never going to play this game, but that trailer made me want to regardless.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
And before you ask, no, he doesn't die at the end. But it really is him.
Damn, that's exactly what I was going to ask.

Are these games actually fun? I assume someone must be buying them if they're still making more, but they kind of give the impression of being shovelware, or at least way too niche for the average gamer.

P.S. Thanks

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
Ah Sharpe, so many jokes made about you i occasionally forget what an immense actor you are. Give train simulator 2014 the credit it's due that was a good advert. Almost made me consider buying it but i don't want to risk flash backs of Bangor to Chester on Arriva Trains Wales *shiver*, although if i lived in Switzerland i would travel by train as much as possible.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Covarr said:
Are these games actually fun? I assume someone must be buying them if they're still making more, but they kind of give the impression of being shovelware, or at least way too niche for the average gamer.
They definitely are niche (heck, even the trailer makes a point of talking about the specific subgroup this kind of game would appeal to, as opposed to "those others").
But I wonder how much it costs to create a game like this. I bet they don't sell a lot of units, but if creating a simulator like this doesn't cost too much (perhaps also thanks to most of the information for the railway nets, geography and so on being available from previous iterations with slight modifications as required), it might still be profitable; explaining why they keep getting made.
That, or some higher-up dude is a "Rail Fan" who keeps shunting money into it despite it not being profitable... ;-)

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
E eck, that trailer were right proper! If it had whippets and a brass band it would probably cause a singularity of northernness. I'm still not going to buy the game though, it seems a bit too normal for me. Maybe if it had some kind of rampage mode where you literally go off the rails and drive a train wherever you damn well please, then I'd buy it.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Skeleon said:
Covarr said:
They definitely are niche (heck, even the trailer makes a point of talking about the specific subgroup this kind of game would appeal to, as opposed to "those others").
But I wonder how much it costs to create a game like this. I bet they don't sell a lot of units, but if creating a simulator like this doesn't cost too much (perhaps also thanks to most of the information for the railway nets, geography and so on being available from previous iterations with slight modifications as required), it might still be profitable; explaining why they keep getting made.
That, or some higher-up dude is a "Rail Fan" who keeps shunting money into it despite it not being profitable... ;-)
If I had to wager I guess I'd say it's a distinct possibility that it's made by a company more akin to Crytek, whose main business isn't in video-games but still produce related technologies that can easily be adapted to video games.

Perhaps a company producing real training simulators for actual train companies which they then adapt to a consumer version for sale as a 'game'.

Definitely a good trailer, second-best train video in my book. This [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHkKJfcBXcw] being the first.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
I couldn't tell if Sean Bean dies at the end of the advertisement or not. If so, I'm sure it's game of the year.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Well that was a strange yet actually quite good ad for Train Simulator. I do kind of get why these games are popular, when I was growing up my Grandfather kept a model railway in the loft. As he got older and couldn't climb up there anymore so he got rid of model set and starting playing Train Simulator games to keep his hobby going.

Also with the amount of dlc these games get I am still baffled as to why their hasn't been a replacement bus service simulator expansion :p

DVS BSTrD said:
One does not simply ride British rail.
With the annual fare hikes British Rail rides you.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I'm sick to the back teeth of simulators constantly being treated like some sort of worthless piece of garbage that only an idiot would want to play. I'm also incredibly tired of the sarcastic tone this website in particular takes. And that's coming from a steadfast Escapist supporter.

I remember playing simulations of signal box operations when I was but a wee lad. I think their creation was someone's hobby project; they each came on a floppy disk and had the most basic graphics. But the true workings of a busy mainline and the pressure of keeping to a timetable was quite detailed.

A genuine interest in railways, both old and contemporary, is a bonafide hobby for some people. How would you like to be treated with such derision for playing video games? I think we can, most of us, relate to that at least.

Such a shame it takes someone like Sean Bean to actually ignite a little respect.

Covarr said:
Your level of interest in the subject material defines how much enjoyment you would get out of these games. But there's no denying the quality. I haven't played one for a while but I remember when Microsoft's own train simulator came out in 2001. A variety of trains, routes and activities to complete with real attention to detail concerning actual railway operations. It's probably only train fans that appreciate the ability to drive the Flying Scotsman on the Settle and Carlisle line during the heyday of steam.

There's a huge community which supports these games with constant DLC and route updates as well. A small team of people made a full workable route for my local preserved steam railway which they now sell in their shop as an add on for MSTS. I personally found it quite exciting to see such a local line rendered in 3D.

Sadly there are many simulators of poor quality which serve only to tar all other games in the genre with the same brush. Although I'm not knocking their existence, i'm sure there's as much of a niche for farming and haulage simulators as there are for train sims.

Denamic said:
For serious though, I've never quite understood the fascination people have for trains. Cars I get, even if I'm not into them. But large machines that just go forwards on rails? Eh, to each their own.
Just out of interest, what do cars have that trains don't?

I'm more of a steam power person myself. Perhaps it's a British thing but there's just something I admire about the industrial revolution. All that raw power from something as simple as steam, designs that seem convoluted now, almost brutish, but still manage to remain elegant. Perhaps that's just the romantic in me :p

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Aw. And here I was waiting for Sean Bean to die some glorious train-related death at the end. I'm honestly disappointed.