Rushing With Ron Howard

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Rushing With Ron Howard

Ron Howard might be the most big-earning, blockbuster-producing, award-winning Hollywood filmmaker to still qualify as underrated.

Read Full Article

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
This doesn't have any significance to anything but for me as a german it's kinda funny that you have to point out that Nicki Lauda is, in fact, a real person. He's one of the most famous names in german speaking sports media and you can hardly watch a Formula 1 race on TV without him giving his opinion on it.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I was actually expecting this one to be little more than a boring, generic sports film. Glad to see that it's at least a good generic sports film, though I'm expecting my relatives that own operate an F1 parts store to be ranting and raving about this one soon enough.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
As above, really thought it was going to be boring and another supposedly true story movie. But after this, I might catch it if there is time for me.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Will go and see this at some point. I actually suonds like you have far more to say about Rush than you do about Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2, so how come this one got relegated to the article?

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
I saw this at the cinema on Wednesday and loved it. Granted, I'm a sucker for sports movies but this was a genuinely good movie regardless(unless you write reviews for Rogerebert.com *sigh*).

It's not without its flaws of course. I think it was strangely paced near the end and Olivia Wilde was given pretty much nothing to do which I think is kind of a waste.

Anyway, as for Warrior, I thought that movie was great. Didn't remember it ever being in cinema but I have it on DVD. I remember the only reason I watched it was because I saw it IMDB's top 250 and was like "It's a film about MMA... and it's good?". Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised.

red dragon 52

May 4, 2010
Thank god they have finally made a good racing film. There hasn't been a good one since Steve McQueen's Le Mans, and that was in 1971.

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
Whenever I hear Ron Howard I think of his simpsons appearance..
Not too favourable

AntiChrist

Jul 17, 2009
Zenron said:
It's not without its flaws of course. I think it was strangely paced near the end and Olivia Wilde was given pretty much nothing to do which I think is kind of a waste.
Daniel Bruhl AND Olivia Wilde is in the movie?! That's it, I'm booking a ticket right now...

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
Olivia Wilde and Chris Hemsworth. She makes me question my sexuality, and then there's him... Is Thor 2 out yet? With the shot of his bare back? Damn I want to get my hands on those shoulders... ahem. um. Yes, moving on.

I was hoping this wouldn't be a terrible movie. Sounds like I'll be renting it when it comes out on VOD. (We're not big go to a theater people, other than for films we really wanna see.)

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
There is one thing I didn't like about Rush and that was the way it played out Hunt/Lauda's relationship. It more or less builds it's own mythology from scratch rather than portray how close they actually were. Before they hit Formula 1 the two of them actually lived together for a while. I prefer the idea of two friends so driven to win that it causes mayhem and destruction all around them, but somehow their friendship thrives in the chaos.

Other than that I think it's ace, seventies F1 cars are by far the most intimidating monsters I've seen at the movies this year, all noise, violence and fire. I especially love that the physics of the cars is so faithfully portrayed, even when it's cgi they don't suddenly start floating or making impossible turns, which can really ruin a movie (hello Red Tails).

Video review next week please?

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
For once, I actually agree with Bob (Probably because we're not talking about Marvel comic movies). Howard is a great director that doesn't get enough credit because he doesn't have "long takes" or sweeping pans like a lot of auteurs (like I guarantee Alfonso's Gravity will). And forget the Sergio Leone's and Clint Eastwood's. I'd be willing to put The Missing up against or over any of the classic Westerns.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
Based on a true story or not, it still sounds too similar to Days of Thunder to me.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
He reminds me a lot of Joel Schumacher, i'm always surprised by the movies he made, there's a lot of really great movies, mediocre and downright awful films on their filmography. The fact that he made Frost/Nixon is enough for me to acknowledge him as one of the greats. But he's nowhere near my personal top 10 though.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
My big thing with Ron Howard is I'll never be able to see him a something besides Richie, which isnt to say he's a bad director or anything since i usually enjoy movies from him. I just always think while watching is, man, Richie Cunningham made this. I think it is a bit of a shame he's not better regarded (not that he shuld be put on a pantheon or anyhting) but if he ever manages to successfully pull off the Dark Tower Series, I think that will likely catapult him straight into that top ever group and then everyone will be on him and come out as fans before it.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
Why dosn't anybody remember that Ron Howard made Apollo 13? That movie was pretty damn good. Well, maybe he'll get more attention once his daughter stops using Twitter while driving.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
red dragon 52 said:
Thank god they have finally made a good racing film. There hasn't been a good one since Steve McQueen's Le Mans, and that was in 1971.
Hey!

There was Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, which was much more recent.