The Last of Us Story DLC Will Star a New Character

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The Last of Us Story DLC Will Star a New Character

Naughty Dog is starting motion capture "next week" for a new character for The Last of Us story DLC.

The Last of Us impressed countless gamers with its dark world, gritty mechanics and harsh story of a future gone to ruin. That in mind, Sony and Naughty Dog are likely hoping it impressed people enough to make them want more. We say that because Naughty Dog took the time today to lay out its plans for future DLC and finally provided fans with some new, though still sparse, details fleshing out the nature of promised story DLC.

Namely, Naughty Dog confirmed that the single-player DLC will center on a new character we haven't seen before, as opposed to being a continuation of Joel and Ellie's odyssey. According to community strategist Eric Monacelli, the studio "just wrapped up a long casting process for a new character" and will start "our performance capture shoot next week." Eager fans can expect the story DLC to release sometime in December or January.

The rest of the announcement showcased the Abandoned Territories Map Pack, multiplayer DLC which will be the first of three bits of downloadable content that fall under the umbrella of a previously announced season pass. The still mysterious story DLC will be the second part of the season pass offerings will also be "multiplayer focused" and will release in the initial half of 2014. To make the wait a little easier to stomach, Naughty Dog is adding new mutliplayer items to the season pass deal. Players who purchased the season pass will gain access to more than sixty new bits of head gear, including a nifty pigskin football cap. Players interested in buying the season pass can pick it up in the PlayStation Store for $19.99.

Source: PlayStation Blog

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I kinda hope it's something to do with the settlement in the sewers. It'd be interesting to spend a little more time in a stable society.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I hate to be this person, but I bet it's a guy character. Not that there's anything wrong with it, mind you, but I'd be surprised, plesantly, if I was wrong on this wager. I'm just speculating, here.

If it was a female character, they'd prolly get a good bit of positive hype considering the popularity of recent gender politics, IMO. I know I'd be talking about it, and posting about it.
I'd say Naughty Dog could write a good female character, and considering the tone of the game, she'd be dressed practically, and likely a tough survivor.
Considering it's just DLC it wouldn't be a huge risk, IMO, either.
And no doubt we'd see the White Guy Defense Force, and their ilk up in arms about Naughty Dog making a DLC that doesn't pander/cater to them. They may not be a majority, but they'll likely be plenty loud.

If it's a guy (again, not that there's anything wrong with it aside from it) character? Prolly not much hype. It's playing it pretty safe.
Infact stating it's a guy now might lead to more of the sexism accusations from before. And again, I'd say that TLOU is not a good battlefield for that sort of topic.

Waiting until it's released, or near so to announce it's a guy will prolly not get so much heat since the gender politics topics seem to be dropping off, at least as far as the Escapist goes, and I certainly don't intend on turning this topic into one, rather just saying my piece.
Hence the mystery about it. No gender specefic terms. Why keep it a surprise if they don't feel like it'll generate bad PR?

I wonder if this will be a standalone, or not? Might be more profitable to go that way with it.
I see a bright future for standalone DLCs. Lower price point on release, good content, and based off of mostly existing assets ala Blood Dragon, Liberty City stories, etc.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Rebel_Raven said:
I hate to be this person, but I bet it's a guy character. Not that there's anything wrong with it, mind you, but I'd be surprised, plesantly, if I was wrong on this wager. I'm just speculating, here.
Weird, I thought exactly the same thing. Maybe it was just because I remember being disappointed when the game was being announced, when I learned that we wouldn't be playing as Ellie but another dudeman.

Anyhow, day one buy for me, either way.