Sponsored: Apothic Offers Gamers A Taste of Refinement

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Sponsored: Apothic Offers Gamers A Taste of Refinement

Apothic offers a distinctly blended wine with a bit of a darker flare.

Something about the gothic aesthetic speaks to many a gamer out there. Maybe it's the mutual aversion to the sun, preferring dark basements with only artificial light to see by. Maybe it's the shared love of cosplay, preferring to represent all manner of escapist tendencies, rather than be your average Joe. Apothic offers one more thing to bring these two subcultures together.

Whether you prefer the darker side of wine with a deep red, or you like things a little lighter with a sweeter white, Apothic has you covered. They offer crafted blends of Zinfandel, Syrah, Merlot, and Cabernet for those with darker tastes. Their white blend sounds particularly sweet, mixing Chardonnay, Riesling, and Moscato. Then, of course, there's their latest, Apothic Dark.

Next time you sit down to play some Vampire: the Masquerade, you can try the Apothic Dark in lieu of blood as your refreshment of choice. You can even enter to win some fancy accoutrements below.

[ignitesocialmedia=facebook/apothic/experiencethedark/?ref=8d88d1b014baa81c3f3c00964efc2ece width=640 height=330]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Holy shit I've seen some advertising that doesn't understand demographics before but this is something else.
Gothic fine wines? For people who play video games? Jesus.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Another sponsored ad showing up in the news section. This.. isn't going to be received well. Bonus points for referring to gamers as having an aversion to the sun and being basement-dwellers.

Sorry was I supposed to discuss something on-topic here? Can't say I've ever heard of blended wines, let alone knowingly tried them.

Edit inspired by someone's later post: Oh yes, I sprung for PubClub membership to avoid all the ads on this site. Gonnae no give me ads please?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Yay, another brand added to my 'never buy list.' (helped by the fact that most advertised products are US only).

Wine is at best meh for me, I prefer harder liquors like Vodka and Whiskey.

As to the article itself, I'll let Team Rocket take it away.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'm only going to let this slide because you mentioned drinking it while playing "Vampire: The Masquerade". This is an admittedly alluring proposition.

Too bad I don't like alcohol.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Advertisement? in my news section? AGAIN? This together with forcing Smosh of all people onto us kinda lets me believe that Alloy Digital doesn't quite know what kind of target audience we are, nor that you do not try to force ads in form of news articles.

Also this clearly lacks Dracula's "what is a man" speech.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I love wine and this looks like balls in a bottle. Sponsored news adds look like a permanent fixture, but they could at least try a little. Not only is it terribly offensive to all the readers but it doesn't even fit in the format box; it needs a friggin' scrolly bar for the second half.

Escapist, the only way to redeem this is by giving us enough news posts in the next 15 minutes to knock it completely off the front page. I don't think that's a bad compromise.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
This is really disappointing to see on The Escapist... At least find adverts that suit the audience guys. Or better yet, keep the adverts out of the news section. All you've succeeded in doing is making sure nobody who visits this site will buy Apothic wine.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
First the smosh deal, then the Escapist Extra's program and now this.

Guys, why do you make me WANT to hate you?

Also, hard liquor or cocktails only please. Wine is really hard to find a good tasting one for but I'm too spoiled on whiskey and cordials and flavored vodkas to want to bother with wine.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
You know, I kinda enjoy these ads. I get to laugh at the cringe-worthy lines clueless marketing executives think appeal to my demographic.

The Escapist Staff said:
Maybe it's the mutual aversion to the sun, preferring dark basements with only artificial light to see by. Maybe it's the shared love of cosplay, preferring to represent all manner of escapist tendencies, rather than be your average Joe.
Hahahaha, you see it's funny because gamers are all socially mal-adjusted people who spend all their time in their parent's basement dressed as anime-girls. And the people who pay Alloy Digital for ad-space totally know how to relate to a modern audience.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Sooooo, this should go over well.

Apothic Red is actually one of my wine staples. Good Merlots have been hard to find lately, so I've been looking into blends. Picked this one up on a whim and was pleasantly surprised. I may have to try the Dark.

So from a gamer and a wine drinker, I'd recommend it.

Sorry, carry on with your flaming now.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I dunno, I have plenty of Ontario VQAs to choose from at good prices here.
It's not the best wine every time, but sometimes you can find a true gem that season for a really good price.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
So ... you guys are posting blatant advertisement as news posts now?
That's quite a bit disappointing ... I mean I know you need your ad revenue and all ... but, can you at least keep it out of the news feed? Or give pub-club members a way to opt out? : \

And sorry Apothic, but I'm not living in my parents basement and prefer a good scotch or occasionally gin to go with my gaming sessions.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I've actually had Apothic Red before and I can't say it was my thing. I usually like blends, too. Keep the coffee tastes out of the wine, please. Though I guess that could appeal to any number of coffee addicts.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
hentropy said:
I've actually had Apothic Red before and I can't say it was my thing. I usually like blends, too. Keep the coffee tastes out of the wine, please. Though I guess that could appeal to any number of coffee addicts.
Hmm, I don't taste coffee. I'll have to remember that next time I drink a glass..

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I'm glad my pub club grants me adverts. Also, who drinks wine? Bourbon is where it's at!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So we got ads in news section now. i am dissapoint. I mean escapist is already classified as extremely aggresive advertisement, but then you had to go and do this.....
well, fool me once, shame on me. Wont fool me again though, ill just ignore everything like this now.

ALso yay for not udnerstanding your demographics? i mean the polls in tis forums shows that if anything we are untraditionally sober and your advertising wine..... now wine is the finest of the alcohols but still this makes it look like every gamer is a guy with a monocle sitting at computer screen and going "yes, indeed".

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Teoes said:
Another sponsored ad showing up in the news section. This.. isn't going to be received well. Bonus points for referring to gamers as having an aversion to the sun and being basement-dwellers.

Sorry was I supposed to discuss something on-topic here? Can't say I've ever heard of blended wines, let alone knowingly tried them.

Edit inspired by someone's later post: Oh yes, I sprung for PubClub membership to avoid all the ads on this site. Gonnae no give me ads please?
Hey now, I do have an aversion to the sun and if Florida wasn't so close to the ground-water table I'd have a basement that I'd frequent for gaming purposes.
Now I also like wine and was huge into V:TM back in the day so this targeted advertising DOES actually fit a demographic within the wide-spread "gamer" demo. Maybe it doesn't pertain to you, or maybe a sarcastic joke about the "all gamers are basement dwelling sun-haters" goes over your head (which is how I chose to read it).
Can we as gamers accept that while not everything applies to us that we're diverse in tastes and therefore some targeted adverts fit some within our sphere?
At least its not a firearm advert saying "Heard you like Call of Duty, well you'll LOVE the new X23-People Destroyer! DISCLAIMER: We don't advocate the use of firearms to solve your social problems, but if thats your thing we have ammo just for you!"
And mind you this comes from a guy who loves firearms and is a responsible gun enthusiast.