John McAfee Reveals "Decentral" Anti-NSA-Spying Gadget

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
John McAfee Reveals "Decentral" Anti-NSA-Spying Gadget

And if the U.S. government bans its sale, "I'll sell it in England, Japan, the Third World. This is coming and cannot be stopped."

Former fugitive, founder of McAfee Anti-virus, and by some accounts, corpse [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127611-John-McAfees-Death-Disappoints-John-McAfee]: John McAfee has announced to the world his "Decentral" device at the C2SV Technology Conference + Music Festival in San Jose. The as-yet-unbuilt device will cost less than $100, and by communicating with smartphones, tablets and other devices, it will create decentralized, floating and moving local networks that can't be penetrated by government spy agencies.

"There will be no way (for the government) to tell who you are or where you are," McAfee told the enthusiastic crowd of software engineers. And what if the U.S Government bans the sale of McAfee's miracle device, you may ask? "I'll sell it in England, Japan, the Third World. This is coming and cannot be stopped."

McAfee plans to finish the first prototype of the Decentral within six months, and says the finished product will be compatible with both Android and iOS platforms. "I cannot imagine one college student in the world who will not stand in line to get one," said McAfee.

McAfee, who may have recently dropped a few notches on the sanity meter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125178-John-McAfee-Snorts-Bath-Salts-Uninstalls-McAfee-Anti-Virus], cannot be denied his entrepreneurial genius. In 1989, he founded McAfee anti-virus, a company that was once worth over $100 million.

He says that the idea for Decentral came to him well before the now infamous Edward Snowden ordeal, but says Snowden's actions inspired him. "[after Snowden] it became the right time to make it real." When asked if Decentral could be used for criminal purposes, he said "It will of course be used for nefarious purposes, just like the telephone is."

Source: Mercury News [http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_24198989/john-mcafee-reveals-details-gadget-thwart-nsa]

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Right, so he hasn't built it yet, but once he has, it'd be totally secure against any zillion dollar government agencies.

Ah huh.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Implying this isn't just a false flag by the GUBMENT to TRICK US INTO THINKING we're secure while they really watch everything we do ahahahahehuehuehue YOU CAN'T FOOL ME MCAFFEE, ONLY MY TINFOIL HAT IS SAFE

PS: Sarcasm aside, if it's real it sounds neat.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Right, so he hasn't built it yet, but once he has, it'd be totally secure against any zillion dollar government agencies.

Ah huh.
Government agencies like the NSA are woefully inept when it comes to cybercrime.

There are stories of government systems going down for days at a time because some punk kid made a computer virus that crashed their shit.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Machine Man 1992 said:
thaluikhain said:

Ah huh.
Government agencies like the NSA are woefully inept when it comes to cybercrime.

There are stories of government systems going down for days at a time because some punk kid made a computer virus that crashed their shit.
Oh certainly, not recognising problems like that is an issue, however, if you wave a target in front of them, they will realise it is there.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
So its TOR but built into a physical device?

Not sure I see the big advantage of that.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Ponyholder said:
thaluikhain said:

Ah huh.
Cute huh? I guarantee that it will be smashed through after its first fortnight on sale. (if it ever gets created and released that is)
By Anonymous maybe, but the government isn't known for it's aptitude in hacking and preventing hacking.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Of course, don't want the Government to find out who killed his neighbor in Belize.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
So it's a device that'll ping a wide variety of wireless devices for ips and send dupes of them along with your own so you essentially mask your ip with a crap tonne of others? Doesn't that exist already and I'm pretty sure that does crap all to stop people from finding you through your service provider?

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
My first thought: it's not going to work. The fact that a user can still recieve data means there are ways for others to get it.

My second thought: that being said, it spreads a culture of anti-spying and brings awareness to people about the whole situation. Especially if the US actually does outlaw it, at which point an already hated agency gets even more questions asked about it. Might even be a first step in riling people up enough to smash the NSA entirely, although I think that's mostly just wishful thinking. Even if it was destroyed and its records purged, something else would arise in its place. Governments are too paranoid to do any less, privacy be damned. But anti-spying culture should be encouraged regardless.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
So this supposed device creates a wireless local network? That seems kinda useless, since A, all it will allow is device to device communication, like saaaaaay Bluetooth. B, I cant see this network being anymore secure than mobile wifi emitters to local hacking attempts. And finally C, you wont be able to connect to the internet with it. Which makes it all kinda pointless. To conclude, I think hes full of shit.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
>I can't imagine a single college student who won't be in line to get one

MacAfee? Yeah, right here, I'm a college student and I'm not planning to buy your bullshit.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Danceofmasks said:
I'll give him the benefit of a doubt.
It'll work ... sure ... and double your ping times.
Right?
Ping time doesn't really matter for streaming video or text/chat. As long as there's no packet loss, having a conference call is pretty doable with a 500 millisecond delay.

I mean, I dunno, yeah, playing LoL or WoW will suck on it, but who in their right mind would use PvP for nefarious purposes?