Blizzard Trademarks "Heroes of the Storm"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Blizzard Trademarks "Heroes of the Storm"

"Heroes of the Storm" is Blizzard's latest trademark filing, but what could it be?

This is one of those news posts that's short on data and long on speculation. The data part of the party: On September 24, Blizzard filed a trademark application [http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=86073120&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch] with the U.S. Patent and Trade Office for something called "Heroes of the Storm." The application covers "Computer game software, computer game discs, downloadable computer game software, computer game software downloadable from a global computer network, interactive multimedia computer game program; Downloadable electronic game software for use on portable electronic devices such as mobile and cellular phones, laptops, handheld computers, and tablet PCs."

Prior to the U.S. filing, as discovered by MMO Champion, a similar filing was made in New Zealand [http://www.iponz.govt.nz/app/Extra/Case/Browse.aspx?sid=635161979616071937] by one A.J. Park, who also had a hand in trademark filings for Mists of Pandaria, Reaper of Souls and Hearthstone.

Blizzard is remaining characteristically silent on the matter, so now comes the speculation side: What's it all about? Hearthstone? Blizzard All-Stars? Another World of Warcraft expansion? People in the know about such things - which, for the record, doesn't include me - seem to be leaning toward something related to Blizzard All-Stars. It's a bit early for Hearthstone, after all, and it's currently slated to be a digital-only release, while this filing refers explicitly to "game discs."

For what it's worth, "Heroes of the Storm" doesn't sound very Warcraft-like to me, and while there's a definite StarCraft ring to it, as far as I know all those slots have been filled, further strengthening the case for Blizzard All-Stars. The truth is that we can really only be sure of one thing at this point: Right now, you've got The Doors [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DED812HKWyM] stuck in your head. Enjoy!

Sources: GameSpot [http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1349283-Blizzard-trademarks-quot-Heroes-of-the-Storm-quot?p=22546497#post22546497]

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
My bet's on a MOBA. As a result, here's a tip if you want this to work, Blizzard:

Don't make a MOBA. By the time you get it out, the MOBA genre will be exhausted and people will be tired of new releases.

You know what's lacking in variety lately? RPGs. I'm sure more people will find a new RPG more interesting than a MOBA right now, and possibly definitely two years from now. (Bonus points if you make it turned-based to be different)

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Sounds like the SC2 Protoss expansion to me. "The Storm" probably refers to those Hybrid things that are (going to be) invading (I don't remember SC2's story too well)

Dr.Awkward said:
My bet's on a MOBA. As a result, here's a tip if you want this to work, Blizzard:

Don't make a MOBA. By the time you get it out, the MOBA genre will be exhausted and people will be tired of new releases.
While I agree the MOBA thing is getting done to death, I do think there's still a few spots for possible innovation (how about a 3-team MOBA? I think that would add a new dynamic to things)

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Aeshi said:
Sounds like the SC2 Protoss expansion to me. "The Storm" probably refers to those Hybrid things that are (going to be) invading (I don't remember SC2's story too well)
Didn't SC2 trilogy already had all games named? Legacy of the Void is the next expansion. As for the title in question I was hoping for that new mmo but it seems they are doing something else. Perhaps Blizzard all-stars was renamed once again?

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
how about another RTS that is not just a clone of SC1 with a new lick of paint and a few new units.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
james.sponge said:
Didn't SC2 trilogy already had all games named? Legacy of the Void is the next expansion. As for the title in question I was hoping for that new mmo but it seems they are doing something else. Perhaps Blizzard all-stars was renamed once again?
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It probably is the name of the Blizz-MOBA then.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Aeshi said:
While I agree the MOBA thing is getting done to death, I do think there's still a few spots for possible innovation (how about a 3-team MOBA? I think that would add a new dynamic to things)
3-Team anything tends to be ignored because it either results in 2-on-1s or Kingmaking. (Kingmaking is where team 3 has no chance to win but effectively decides whether 1 or 2 wins based on where they put their support) In either case skill isn't as relevant as inter-team politics which tends to result in a lot of annoyed fans.

Imagine a 3-way hockey game where the Giants were playing the Rangers and the Lakers. You get to the last two minutes with the score at 4-1-4 with the Giants and the Lakers tied. There's a tense standoff and suddenly... The Giants win because the Rangers decide to block the Lakers. All that tension and buildup removed at the last second because the Rangers decided they hated the Lakers more.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
It'll be the DOTA-like they've apparently had in the works for a while now. Been fairly well known they've been working on one. Name sounds about right for that type of game as well.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Maybe it's a crab-fishing simulator in the vein of Deadliest Catch, but with RTS mechanics and social features using Battle Net?