Devolver Digital Announces Defense Technica

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Devolver Digital Announces Defense Technica

Defense Technica will bring hardcore tower defense action to Steam in October.

If tower defense is your thing, then you might want to turn your gaze to Defense Technica, a new addition to the genre coming from Devolver Digital in late October. The game boasts eight different upgradable tower classes that add up to more than 40 different individual tower types with machine guns, rockets, flamethrowers, lasers and other weaponry. Those guns will be turned against nine different kinds of enemies who trundle relentlessly across the battlefield, taking advantage of variable weather, terrain and pathfinding AI.

Based on the launch trailer, Defense Technica looks to be a by-the-numbers tower defense game, but a very pretty and pyrotechnical one, too. Maps ranging from orbital military stations to subterranean ruins and futuristic cities will provide some variety, and everything is rendered in full 3D with "amazing" lighting effects.

[gallery=1804]

I suppose there's only so much you can do with tower defense while still keeping it tower defense, but if tower defense is what you want, tower defense is what you'll get - and you'll get it at a 20 percent discount if you preorder Defense Technica on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/233110] before it launches on October 24. Tower defense!

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Trailer's looking good. I have a bit of a thing for Tower Defense games.
Ehm, out of curiosity: Are these the folks who made Defense Grid? Or did some of that game's devs strike out on their own to make this or something?
I ask because this looks a lot like Defense Grid. Like this might actually be a Defense Grid 2, really. Look at the graphical style, the tower placement, the apparent control scheme... yeah.
But the article doesn't even mention Defense Grid, so I wonder.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
It looks like every flash tower defense game out there already, but prettier. Should really be free unless they add a lot more depth, I would expect a coherent story, cutscenes and lots of fluff content to justify actually spending money on a pimped out flash game.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
This looks kinda awesome. I'm a sucker for a good TD, I've spent at least a couple hundred hours on Defense Grid, and this looks kinda awesome, not to mention I've yet to play a Devolver Digital game that can be called anything less than "pretty good", especially the Shadow Warrior reboot. Definitely going to have to check this one when it comes out.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
AldUK said:
It looks like every flash tower defense game out there already, but prettier. Should really be free unless they add a lot more depth, I would expect a coherent story, cutscenes and lots of fluff content to justify actually spending money on a pimped out flash game.
If it is anything like Defense Grid then it has a lot of content, decent voice acting and an ok storyline on top of looking a lot nicer than a flash game. Plus it's only about £10, so not too expensive anyway.