Ubisoft Expands Canadian Studio

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Ubisoft Expands Canadian Studio

The Assassin's Creed publisher plans to create 500 new Canadian jobs by 2020.

The videogame industry has always been turbulent, but the last few years have been particularly rough. Big-name publishers like EA, Activision, and Sony have all had to cut costs by laying off staff members. Ubisoft, however, has somehow managed to remain relatively unscathed. In fact, today the company announced that it would actually be adding 500 new jobs over the next seven years.

The announcement is part of a $373 million partnership with the Canadian Government that will generate jobs for Ubisoft's Quebec studio. By 2020, Ubisoft plans to employ more than 3,500 professionals in Quebec.

"The imminent arrival of the next generation of consoles, the expansion of mobile platforms, the multiplication of connected, immersive, and social environments, and the strategic importance of the relationship between developers and players are profoundly transforming the video game industry," said Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot. "Today's announcement allows us to anticipate the growth of our future needs with the main objective of strengthening proximity with our players and creating value for them."

Ubisoft plans to use these new resources to focus on mobile and online development, but the company is planning to expand its motion capture technologies as well. So, if you're a young, talented developer, you may want to cultivate a taste for poutine.

Source: Ubisoft Press Release [https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/en-US/press/detail.aspx?cid=tcm:99-115227-16&ctid=tcm:95-27313-32]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
You know, I'm usually all for creating jobs, but this is just going to make those god damn Ubisoft credits even longer! D=

Seriously though, good on them.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Andy Shandy said:
You know, I'm usually all for creating jobs, but this is just going to make those god damn Ubisoft credits even longer! D=
I personally can't wait for Ubisoft Credits: The Game! I hope you like QTEs!

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
See you all in a couple of years when we are talking about how sad it is these people are being made redundant.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
well, good for them. Lot's of people here complain about the 37% tax credits that the governement pay on the employes salary, and the 10 millions they gave to ubisoft, but 500 new job is a fair return on investement

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I'm always for fellow countrymen getting work. Even if they pretend like they don't want to be a part of this country just to extort more money from the West. <_<

[sub][sub]Oops, sorry. My politics are showing.[/sub][/sub]

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Redlin5 said:
I'm always for fellow countrymen getting work. Even if they pretend like they don't want to be a part of this country just to extort more money from the West. <_<

That's been over with since 1998. Even if Quebec were to vote with a 66% majority, and then all of Canada voted with a 66% majority to allow Quebec to secede, the legality of the situation would be shot down under both Canadian and International law. Any politician who uses secession as their platform is just blowing smoke out of their ass. But ya, Alberta and Saskatchewan are still subsidizing the rest of the country in a few different ways. Oops, my politics are showing, too.

It is kind of interesting how Montreal is becoming a scene for game development. I know Quebec has a very awesome program for arts and stuff, but they've been extremely active lately. And I guess, it's not just game development. Other kinds of software companies are moving to Montreal, too. It'd be kinda cool if a part of Canada became a technological hot spot.

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
Redlin5 said:

Montreal is a kind of refuge from the rednecks, I'll agree as a Quebecois the majority of my kind are hicks, but sadly Quebec is a bit of a huge small town off of Montreal, Quebec city is big, but very very white

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
rasputin0009 said:
It is kind of interesting how Montreal is becoming a scene for game development. I know Quebec has a very awesome program for arts and stuff, but they've been extremely active lately. And I guess, it's not just game development. Other kinds of software companies are moving to Montreal, too. It'd be kinda cool if a part of Canada became a technological hot spot.
I think 2K games still have an office in Vancouver, then there is Bioware Edmonton, there were a few smaller ones like Silicon Knight in Ontario, but I don't know if they are still active. Relic is kicking around in Vancouver I believe too if Sega hasn't shut the door at least, heh.