GTA V $ 2,147,483,647 Glitch Could Wipe Your Cash Away

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
GTA V $ 2,147,483,647 Glitch Could Wipe Your Cash Away

Have fun with the stock market but don't go too crazy, advises a NeoGAF poster.

It's one of the great mysteries of life: one minute you're sitting pretty with billions in your Grand Theft Auto V [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10598-Grand-Theft-Auto-5-Review-People-Suck] bank, and the next minute everything's gone negative and you're so deep in debt it'll take a lifetime to dig yourself out from under. This is what happened to NeoGAF poster OmegaDL50, when - after completing the Assassination missions and heading towards the end of the story - he dumped his $1.6 billion into Tinkle Stocks. Little did he know that the game used "a signed 32-Bit integer (i.e any value higher than 2,147,483,647 will roll over into a negative value)," but he soon found out when his accumulated fortune went up the Swanee.

Unknowing, he smashed his car. When he went to fix it, the game told him he was broke, and a few minute's investigation soon told him why. "Have fun with the stock market but don't go too crazy," is his advice to other would-be Wall Street geniuses. He's not the only one to have noticed this problem, as some French speaking gamers can attest [http://www.jeuxvideo.com/forums/1-22728-2875399-1-0-1-0-j-ai-atteint-la-valleur-max.htm]. "I can't buy anything, even a milkshake," claims jaguarjack, who went well over the limit after the Lester missions. Again, the 32 bit integer maximum limit seems to be to blame.

So let that be a lesson to you: the penalty for greed, at least in GTA V, is insane amounts of debt. Start giving it away, spending it, make your suits out of nothing but dollar bills. Just don't try to accumulate the stuff. The bank doesn't like it.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=83966273&postcount=26]

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
You'd think game developers would have that one figured out by now.
It also happened to people in WoW but Blizzard fixed that pretty quickly. Would hate to have something like that happen in a game where your gold could also have been sold to other players for real money. Though all that money had been farmed by players and just accumulated via the auction house of course.

Pixelspeech

Sep 30, 2013
shameduser said:
You'd think that QA would have caught that one.
Wouldn't that depend on how rigorous it's been? Perhaps they simply assumed nobody would accumulate such a high amount of money or misjudged what the maximum was.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
you'd almost think it's some kind of social commentary about not doing weird stuff with the stock market.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
What would you even need that much money for anyway?! I admit I don't play GTA, but I'd imagine that the $1.6 billion alone would've covered anything you could ever want for the rest of the game.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
That's good, but no as funny as the bug in STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl where getting your reputation too high wouold do the exact same thing and cause it to loop round into a negative number, just a reminder that everybody hates a Flanders...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
rofltehcat said:
It also happened to people in WoW but Blizzard fixed that pretty quickly. Would hate to have something like that happen in a game where your gold could also have been sold to other players for real money. Though all that money had been farmed by players and just accumulated via the auction house of course.
I'd imagine they're too busy trying to fix other bugs, like why people's garages eat their modded cars...or, my personal favorite - and one that happened to me - WHY YOU CAN'T GET INTO THE STRIP CLUB WHICH IS WHERE SOME OF THE LAST FEW MISSIONS ARE STARTED!!!

Yeah, by pure dumb luck I was able to finish the game. The glitch is still active, I still have no access to the Vanilla Unicorn because the doors are completely sealed. Personally I'd have to hope they'd work on fixing a bug that prevents people from finishing the game before they worry about disappearing cars or money.

Still, you are right though. Wouldn't the maximum cash be a pretty quick coding fix? I don't really know much about 32 bit integers or how they work, but it sounds like we need more bits. :3

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I'm loving this, it's like Rockstar watched Southpark and programmed at the same time.
<youtube=-DT7bX-B1Mg>

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
MinionJoe said:
Aeshi said:
What would you even need that much money for anyway?! I admit I don't play GTA, but I'd imagine that the $1.6 billion alone would've covered anything you could ever want for the rest of the game.
Something like $250 million will buy every property available for sale in single-player. Then again, some properties are only for sale to certain characters.

So far as cars, well, each character can only store four (five if you want to take a chance on your safehouse garage). So there's not much money to be spent there.

Still, good find by by the general public. I wonder if GTAV's "perfect" reviews will be adjusted accordingly.
What can you use properties for?
Just thinking that perhaps one could do well without any cash, considering that you can't buy anything particularily useful (unless property is useful^^). That was one of my biggest problems with RDR, everything you do, you do to earn more money but the money is practically worthless from a gamedesign perspective.

Costia

Jul 3, 2011
rofltehcat said:
What do you mean by fixed?
AFAIK there is a "squish" planned for the next expansion to get around this problem.
Garrosh has 500m health, the bosses in the next expansion should have more - which might bring them beyond the 4b limit of unsigned 32 bit integers.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3885585
http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/08/24/item-squish-extremely-likely-for-wows-next-expansion/