Dark Souls Mod Boosts Enemy Aggression

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Dark Souls Mod Boosts Enemy Aggression

JITD's Aggressive Mod changes Dark Souls enemies so they attack you sooner and pursue when you try to run away.

Dark Souls, at its core, is a game about education. Progress is often dependent just as much on the player being patient as skilled. Taking the time to learn where enemies are and how they behave can be just as valuable as high stats and a good sword. That said, one Dark Souls fan, going by the moniker JITD, has crafted a mod for the PC version of the game designed to render your past Dark Souls experiences null and void.

The Dark Souls Aggressive Mod, put shortly, enhances enemy's desire to poke you full of holes with sharp, pointy objects. The actual difference this can make in the game is fairly dramatic. For instance, whereas in the past enemies wouldn't approach you until you came within a certain distance, the mod erases "invisible barriers" so that they'll start toward you the second you enter their line of sight. Enemies will now also pursue you with greater enthusiasm than they did in the past, making it less viable to simply sprint past them to safety.

What this amounts to is an experience where you'll need to be on your guard even more than before and will pretty much have to fight everything you encounter. The changes, in turn, add up to a game that is fundamentally the same, but altered just enough to feel fresh and challenging for veterans. If you're interested in giving the mod a try, it's available as a free download.

Source: Insane Difficulty

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
I've been enjoying this mod. The different angles enemies often come at you due to earlier triggers changing their approach route makes the game like new. Also glad to see one of Vaati's videos getting some exposure. One of the better Souls content creators and glad to have him in the community.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Does this mean enemies jump to their deaths at different points now?

I spent most of the game holding block til the monsters commited suicide.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Aww Christ, I wish they could put this on the console version. It looks fucking brutal! But also highly exploitable, luring enemies to their deaths and such.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Yay, we've taken away the caution from the enemies and just made them all charge headfirst at you? Like the A.I. from every game ever?

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
Infernal Lawyer said:
Yay, we've taken away the caution from the enemies and just made them all charge headfirst at you? Like the A.I. from every game ever?
Really? Most games have the AI wait in place until you actually engage them, this adds a bit of randomness to where and when you fight them, but probably makes luring easier.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I see this both working well and breaking some parts of the experience. For instance, the rats beneath the bridge are annoying because you have to fight them while on the ledge or in the little room. From the video it looked like they come out on the ledge for you to easily push off.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
This mod, since it only works on the unpatched game, should actually make some parts of the game way easier.

The fire sea would involve every dino leg thing rushing over and smashing themselves to bits in an orgy of butt stomping.

Which would be more interesting than the patched version where they totally ignore you. I remember that place around launch, it was brutal and crazy.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
shapaza said:
This mod + Tomb of the Giants = nopenopenope so much nope
I was seriously considering trying out this mod (though the means by which it is installed makes me leery because I'm paranoid). I had completely forgotten about the Tomb of the Giants and how it would be affected.

Hm. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Not sure if I'm quite ready for that level of saosreamglkaasrrjhnt;law

gnihton

Mar 18, 2012
Slycne said:
I see this both working well and breaking some parts of the experience. For instance, the rats beneath the bridge are annoying because you have to fight them while on the ledge or in the little room. From the video it looked like they come out on the ledge for you to easily push off.
I just walked in and then back out to the point where the knight was hiding around the corner, then kicked them off.