Destiny Public Events: No Lobbies, No Loading Screens

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Destiny Public Events: No Lobbies, No Loading Screens

Destiny's multiplayer public events will be "open frontiers," with no lobbies or loading screens.

In most games, when it comes time for some online multiplayer fun, players generally organize themselves in a lobby before dropping in on the action en masse. But Bungie says Destiny will forgo all that extra-game horsing around in favor of far more natural and organic encounters between players.

"To join a public event, all you have to do is get within range, and open fire," Bungie Community Manager David "DeeJ" Dague explained on the PlayStation blog. "No lobbies. No loading screens. The frontier is open, and filled with encounters you can join, or skip right past, on your way to something you've deemed momentarily more important."

Destiny's "core cooperative nucleus" are Fireteams of three Guardians, but other Guardians - and presumably multple Fireteams - can come together to handle some of the more challenging situations that will come up in public events. Players who prefer to go it alone may do so, but Dague implied that they'll be missing out on the fun.

"You can experience Destiny's story as a party of one, assuming you're that much of a badass. Destiny will never require you to team up with other people in campaign missions. You'll see other players along the way, but you can choose to ignore them," he said. "That said, we think you'll find that playing with other Guardians is quick, painless, and a ton of fun. It's always your choice, though."

Destiny is currently expected to launch sometime in the second half of 2014 for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Bungie announced yesterday that the Destiny public beta will begin early next year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128346-Destiny-Beta-Begins-In-Early-2014-Gameplay-Trailer-Begins-Now].

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/02/destiny-your-questions-answered/]

Chinchama

Mar 1, 2009
What's an Xbox 30?
Destiny is currently expected to launch sometime in the second half of 2014 for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 30 and Xbox One. Bungie announced yesterday that the Destiny public beta will begin early next year.
*edit*
You fixed it before I could finish my post :p

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Sounds good to me. This sort of organized non organized multiplayer play works extremely well in Guild Wars 2, and it sounds like it might work even better in Destiny.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
That sounds really cool. Looking forward to running into guys on the surface of the moon.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I really don't like these mechanics unless there is a public notice. I'm always the one that shows up right after it happens with no luck on joining the fun or I'm alone and there no one else for miles.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
TheEvilGenius said:
So pretty much what Journey did.
Sounds about right only it seems like they've added another layer on top of what Journey did.

Journey allowed one person at a time to drop in and out of your game with no loading whatsoever.

Destiny, is sounds like, will allow 3 people at a time normally (kind of like in Borderlands), but when the big stuff occurs it drops various gamers that are all at that particular point all into the same instance.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
The more I hear about this game the more I like it :)

Its shaping up to be pretty ambitious, cant wait

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
No loading screens? How does that work then? I was under the impression that the Xbone and PS4 will still be using disc-based hard-drives and optical media. Meaning the consoles will be limited by read-speeds as to how much data they can load at once. And judging by the pre-release trailers, there isn't exactly a shortage of visual and gameplay data to load.

Or is this one of those things where the loading screens are there, they're just hidden behind cutscenes before each gameplay session, a la Max Payne 3? Because I cannot for the life of me work out how they would have managed to make a game like on optical media with the loading times of cartridge-based media.
The disc is probably just there for installing from and to play the game, as in the 'drm', nothing more than that.
Not to mention they could install critical stuff on the HDD and only have sound or other less demanding data coming from the disc.

What I'm wondering is since this is so heavily MP focused will the game work without internet/servers, is this one of those "when we turn the servers off the thing is worthless" games?

Apr 28, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
No loading screens? How does that work then? I was under the impression that the Xbone and PS4 will still be using disc-based hard-drives and optical media. Meaning the consoles will be limited by read-speeds as to how much data they can load at once. And judging by the pre-release trailers, there isn't exactly a shortage of visual and gameplay data to load.

Or is this one of those things where the loading screens are there, they're just hidden behind cutscenes before each gameplay session, a la Max Payne 3? Because I cannot for the life of me work out how they would have managed to make a game like on optical media with the loading times of cartridge-based media.
There have been some games that don't have loading screens. Off the top of my head there's God of War 1 and 2, Jak 3, and Uncharted 2 (well, apart from a loading screen at the start of the game). Probably more that I'm forgetting... but yeah, it's definitely possible.

Also, Assassin's Creed 4 and Witcher 3 are advertising that they'll have no loading screens as well.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Sleekit said:
I assume its just a round about way of saying they mean dynamic world events within an MMO like open environment similar to those in Rift or Firefall...

might be new(ish) to console shooters and fans of Halo but its not entirely new to gaming.
Yes, that's pretty much what they're talking about. I think at the Sony E3 show we saw such an event take place. The characters had just navigated the dungeon only to be joined by the 3rd person. Then in the distance a spaceship zooms by, and then others come racing after it. Moments later a firefight has erupted. Sure it was scripted, but you get the point.

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
So it's going to be like Planetside 2, but for consoles.