Update: Pokemon X and Y Starters' Final Evolutions Revealed

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Update: Pokemon X and Y Starters' Final Evolutions Revealed

Nintendo has also announced that 1.26 million Pokefans have pre-ordered the latest Pokemon game in Japan.

Pokemon X and Y is not officially released until October 12, but that doesn't stop the less scrupulous "mom and pop" stores from releasing the game as soon as they get stock of it. As such, a couple of lucky gamers have already gotten their hands on the game, and have been blasting through the main story posting spoilers left and right. Because of them, we now finally know what each of the three starter Pokemon's final evolved form will look like, as well as what type they will be.

Froakie, the water starter, will evolve into Greninja, a Water/Dark type, Fennekin, the fire starter, will evolve into Delphox, a Fire/Psychic type, and Chespin, the grass starter, will evolve into Chesnaught, a Grass/Fighting type. Check out an image of the evolution tree below:

Furthermore, it turns out there are quite a lot of us still waiting paitently for the game's official relate date, especially in Japan, where Nintendo has revealed it has broken a pre-order record for the 3DS [http://www.famitsu.com/news/201310/02041087.html]. Over 1.26 million fans have put money down on the game, nudging out Monster Hunter 4 and making it the most pre-ordered 3DS game of all time.

The last bit of official news we heard from Game Freak was that Charizard will have two mega-evolutions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128367-Pokemon-X-and-Ys-Charizard-Has-Two-Mega-Evolutions]. Some gamers with early copies of the game are reporting that Blastoise and Venasaur will also have two separate mega-evolutions depending on which version of the game you are playing.

Source: Famitsu (Japanese) [http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1nmmad/final_evolutions_leaked_for_pokemon_x_y_starters/]

Update: Many of you are claiming that these pictures are fake, but fortunately (or unfortunately) Neogaf forum users are confirming the reports, and have provided some additional screenshots [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689693].

Source: Neogaf [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689693]

Update #2: Just in case you were still doubting the legitimacy of these images, Nintendo has now made them official on the Pokemon X and Y website. [http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/pokemon/starters/] Here's the official art:

[gallery=1818]

Source: Nintendo [http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/pokemon/starters/]

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Twice in the same day you're on top of the new Pokemon news Escapist? Should I be worried?

Also, Fennekin, I am disappoint.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
Huh, I never gave Froakie a look when they first announced the starters, and now I'm leaning towards him. Who woulda guessed?

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Based purely on looks, and purely upon the least unappealing I'd pick Froakie.

It is a poor replacement for Squirtle thats for sure...

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I'm still pissed off that three countries had to fucking ruin it for the rest of us. I really wanted the reveal to happen either a couple days before, or on release date.

Seriously.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Chesnaught totally does not fit the theme of Chespin and Quilladin. But you know what? It's so bad-ass, I'm willing to forgive it. CHESPIN FOR BEST STARTER CONFIRMED.

Greninja looks neat. I like his little scarf-y thing he's got going.

And as for Delphox, well... I hate it. It's missing the "awesome" factor that many final evolutions have. I guess what I mean to say is that it's not as menacing as a final form should be, especially for a starter.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
On that note...I think I may get Chespin now....Fennekin had the potential to be so cool, and now it's just a anthropomorphic mage.

Ah well. At least now my team will balance out, with the whole Charmander thing.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
It's an awkward teenage phase, they said.
Chespin will grow out of it, they said.

I'm still waiting to see what he looks like from the rear, but as it stands now, I may just have to give in an take the frog, as much as it pains me to do so.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Welp.

Looks like I'm going with Water for the second generation in a row. Seriously, what's with turning them into such raging badasses? Blastoise, the Howitzer that walks like a man, the samurai, the giant crocodile, and now a ninja? If only Swampert and the penguin weren't such disgraces in comparison...

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Dragonbums said:
On that note...I think I may get Chespin now....Fennekin had the potential to be so cool, and now it's just a anthropomorphic mage.
Same for me, I was about to start my reign of choosing Fire-Types again. Seriously, I'm really disappointed now because I love Fennekin's first two forms. T^T
Welp, looks like it's either a Chespin or Froakie for me. Not a huge fan of Chesnaught, but oh well I can look past it.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
neonsword13-ops said:
Chesnaught totally does not fit the theme of Chespin and Quilladin. But you know what? It's so bad-ass, I'm willing to forgive it. CHESPIN FOR BEST STARTER CONFIRMED.

Greninja looks neat. I like his little scarf-y thing he's got going.

And as for Delphox, well... I hate it. It's missing the "awesome" factor that many final evolutions have. I guess what I mean to say is that it's not as menacing as a final form should be, especially for a starter.
menacing? I know its a matter of opinion, but blastiose was hardly menacing, neither was meganium, or really serperior (especially after it was pure grass). There's been quite a few non menacing final evolutions.

More OT: I picked Fennekin from the start and I'll be sticking with it for sure, though Froakie is pretty cool looking, glad he's my second pick.

... actually, no really intentionally but im going ot have to disagree with the opinion above, I think chespin has the worst final evolution in appearance. it looks too busy, too uninspired. like what you get if you threw a linoone, a samurott, and a shelgon/whirlepede together. its kinda depressing the potential they missed by instead going for an offensive threat this time, instead of another bulky looking defensive grass type. at least fennekin you knew was going to wind up looking something like its final when you saw the second evolution.

James Guzman

Oct 3, 2013
I really think froakies third evo is fake, i dont know something about it, I rather wait til some solid gameplay of it or nintendo anounces its legit

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Neronium said:
Dragonbums said:
Same for me, I was about to start my reign of choosing Fire-Types again. Seriously, I'm really disappointed now because I love Fennekin's first two forms. T^T
Welp, looks like it's either a Chespin or Froakie for me. Not a huge fan of Chesnaught, but oh well I can look past it.
Yeah...I'm still torn though. On the one hand, having a psychic type would be really, really helpful.

Perhaps the design will grow on me. But now depending on mood I may choose Chespin over Fennekin.

James Guzman

Oct 3, 2013
I don't know about that, didn't they already announced that this gen wouldn't recieve mega evo only the older gens?.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
TizzytheTormentor said:
Yikes, none of em look flattering in any way...

Was expecting something a little better to be honest, I was thinking of getting Chespin, after seeing his final evolution...its okay, little disappointed.
Yes, this pretty much exactly what I thought.
They are all pretty ugly. Aw well, what a shame, looks aren't everything right?

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I don't care for the water OR leaf starters in X and Y at all. They just don't appeal to me at all. I always start with Water when I play a new pokemon game; Squirtle (my first pokemon ever), Totadile, never played sapphire, Piplup AND Oshawatt. Wish you could start with the classic starters, even though I know you can get them in the games...

The big thing is that who would have guessed I would care about pokemon at my age...

TheLion

Apr 18, 2012
Wow, call me shallow, but they look hideous. I was favoring Froakie, but I hate offensive Dark types (I thought you were water/fighting man!). Oh well, I guess I'm Boxing my starter.