Update: Watch Dogs Won't Run on 32-Bit Windows

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Update: Watch Dogs Won't Run on 32-Bit Windows

Ubisoft have released the official system requirements for Watch Dogs, and as expected, they are pretty hefty.

If you are still using a PC from 2005 that runs on the 32-bit version of Windows, you may want to consider upgrading if you plan on playing Ubisoft's new sandbox hacking game Watch Dogs. Ubisoft has unveiled the game's official PC system requirements, and as is expected considering the amazing graphical fidelity we've seen in trailers so far, they are quite hefty.

At minimum, you'll need a 64-bit version of Windows, a quad-core CPU, a Direct X 11-capable graphics card with at least 1 GB of Video RAM, and at least 4 GB of standard RAM. Ubisoft gives the Nvidia GTX 460 or the AMD Radeon HD 5770 as examples of cards that hit the minimum requirements.

As for the recommended requirements, Ubisoft suggests at least 8 GB of RAM, an 8-core CPU, and a graphics card with at least 2 GB of video RAM, such as the Nvidia GTX 560 or the AMD Radeon HD 7850.

They've also released a third set of requirements, the "Ultra" specification, for those of you who want to melt your PC. The ultra specification recommends an 8-core-plus CPU, coupled with the Nvidia GTX 670 or the AMD Radeon HD 7970.

For those of you who have been quite happily sitting on older systems that have out-paced current-gen consoles for years, this is your wakeup call that next-gen is finally here, and developers are actually designing games for higher-end PCs once more.

Source: Uplay Client via All For Game News [http://allforgamenews.com/2013/10/02/watch-dogs-pc-system-requirements-revealed-support-x64-8-core-2gb-vram-recommended]

Update:

Looks like the game's specs won't be quite so demanding after all. Sebastien Viard, the graphics technical director for Watch Dogs, has Tweeted: [https://twitter.com/SebViard/status/385815285116063744] "Hello. It is not the official configs. The real specs will come out soon and will be lower than these :)".

Source: Incgamers [http://www.incgamers.com/2013/10/watch-dogs-pc-specs-may-demanding]

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Wheee! My system is finally outdated!

Good thing I've already started collecting parts for my next PC.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
8-core?
In Intel the only thing that fits that is the Core i7, even i5 is Quad Core, i3 is Dual Core with Hyperthreading.
Can it only work well on AMD then?
Rest of the requirements are kind of reasonable for a next-gen game.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Arif_Sohaib said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
People still use 32-bit systems? Come on, get with the program!
Can't, I only have 2 GB DDR2 Ram.
You can still use a 64 bit OS on 2 gig of ram. I have 16 gig of ram :D

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Arif_Sohaib said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Ah yeah, that blows. I remember for awhile I couldn't upgrade because upgrading one thing meant I needed to upgrade another, and so forth and so forth. Finally had to just build a whole new rig. They are pretty affordable nowadays at least. Best of luck!

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
Clive Howlitzer said:
Arif_Sohaib said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Ah yeah, that blows. I remember for awhile I couldn't upgrade because upgrading one thing meant I needed to upgrade another, and so forth and so forth. Finally had to just build a whole new rig. They are pretty affordable nowadays at least. Best of luck!
My thoughts exactly. But still not going to get i7. I can only afford i3 and AMD processors do not work in my country, so their cheaper options are out.
Hows this;
Core i3 Haswell(the recently released one)
AMD 7750
4 GB RAM(8 if I can afford it)
Budget Motherboard(I am think the 81 or 85 chipset)

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Well, that was fast.

Here I thought the six core I got last year was going to keep me above the recommended specs for at least a few more years.

*sigh*

At least my 650 ti is still above them.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
I know computers are getting faster and more powerful all the time, but a recommendation of an 8-core processor and 2gb video RAM? That seems a little bit like overkill. I wanted to play it, but I'll almost have to buy a new PC to do it.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
Arif_Sohaib said:
AMD processors do not work in my country, so their cheaper options are out.
Wait what? Surely you are mixing your words there...processors aren't region locked. If you're going for such a budget build you'll likely get better value with AMD parts.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
64bit OS? Check!
8GB RAM? Check!(16GB)
8-core CPU? Check!
AMD 7970? Check!

Come at me, specs, show me whatchya got!
Finally next-gen consoles are starting to define the recommended specs of equivalent PCs.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Clive Howlitzer said:
That's what I was thinking, it's about bloody time 32bit was dropped, heck even a system from the local retail store comes with 64bit now adays.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
xXSnowyXx said:
Arif_Sohaib said:
Wait what? Surely you are mixing your words there...processors aren't region locked. If you're going for such a budget build you'll likely get better value with AMD parts.
I know AMD has a better budget range while Intel has better Hing-end stuff but AMD has no suppliers in Pakistan. I already have an imported AMD 455 processor(gift from my sister from US) but no motherboard for it so it is still in its box.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Well I can run it...just, I need to upgrade my CPU. Commiserations to any 32 bit users.
But 8 cores? Really? I doubt that.
RE: Update:
Yeah that's what I thought.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Arif_Sohaib said:
xXSnowyXx said:
Arif_Sohaib said:
I know AMD has a better budget range while Intel has better Hing-end stuff but AMD has no suppliers in Pakistan. I already have an imported AMD 455 processor(gift from my sister from US) but no motherboard for it so it is still in its box.
Shhh! Most of the Americans don't even realize the rest of the world exists! Please don't upset them!

Kidding aside, yeah sadly it isn't as easy to buy technology for some of us out here as it is for the West. While AMD is a direct and easily available competitor for Intel over there, for us AMDs are all imported and scarce. And even if you can find one the prices are so inflated it isn't worth bothering.

As for 32 bit systems going the way of the Dodo, well this is what happens with technological progress. Thanks to the albatross of consoles holding PC gaming advances back we've forgotten how quickly the technology can change.