Terraria 2 Is In Development

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Terraria 2 Is In Development

Andrew "Redigit" Spinks confirms that his "mystery project" is indeed a successor to Terraria.

Terraria fans who were treated to the humongous, free Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127710-Terrarias-Huge-1-2-Update-Finally-Has-a-Release-Date] that the "mystery project" he initially left Terraria to pursue is in fact Terraria 2. He said that he had originally planned to be about half-way done with it by now, but instead decided to return to the original Terraria in order to deliver the fans the extra content they had been asking for.

"I actually planned, when I first quit Terraria, to have been halfway through my next project by now, but it just didn't happen. Instead, I decided to work on another update for Terraria to please the fans a little bit."

Spinks clarifies that it would be great if he could just keep delivering content to the original Terraria, but the game has its limits. He did, after all, lay the groundwork for the game long before he'd amassed the experience that come with releasing such a successful game, and thinks that he can do better with a sequel.

"There's a lot of stuff I'm locked into with Terraria," he said. "The way loot works, the way character progression works. In Terraria 2, I really want to have infinite worlds so you're not just stuck to one world. You can travel anywhere. I want more biome diversity in that, too. There's a lot of stuff [I want to add and change]."

Sounds a lot like Starbound [http://playstarbound.com/] (a game, coincidentally, founded by some ex-Terraria team members) doesn't it?

As for continued updates for Terraria 1, Spinks says that the 1.2 update will most likely be the last update of its scope to come to the game, but is considering hiring another small team to continue updates while he moves onto Terraria 2.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/03/terraria-2-announced/]

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
So in other words he worked for 9 months (I think) on a humongous FREE patch for his game that costs about the same as a coffee when it's on sale, just to please his "fans" that had been hassling him for more content?

Not gonna lie, the word entitled springs to mind. The guy is too generous.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
So in other words he worked for 9 months (I think) on a humongous FREE patch for his game that costs about the same as a coffee when it's on sale, just to please his "fans" that had been hassling him for more content?

The people who complained acted in such a childish manner. When he first stopped updating Terraria the other 2 of the 3 man team that made the game left to make Starbound. Redgit also had just had a child, so working full time on a videogame solo was not an option. Some people didn't care and felt that they were "owed" more features.

Some gamers act so damn entitled and its unfortunately more on the PC gaming side thanks to how accessible patches are these days.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
AzrealMaximillion said:
CardinalPiggles said:

The people who complained acted in such a childish manner. When he first stopped updating Terraria the other 2 of the 3 man team that made the game left to make Starbound. Redgit also had just had a child, so working full time on a videogame solo was not an option. Some people didn't care and felt that they were "owed" more features.

Some gamers act so damn entitled and its unfortunately more on the PC gaming side thanks to how accessible patches are these days.
The guy made a game, there were ports, there was Fan Dumb, and now everything has blown over and Terraria has gained more content and, likely, more players. If the creator has chosen to forgive the playerbase then that's his prerogative and I really respect him for both that and all the hard work he's done. Forgiveness is a rather rare gift in this world, and doubly so in this industry. Good on Redigit.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
shirkbot said:
The guy made a game, there were ports, there was Fan Dumb, and now everything has blown over and Terraria has gained more content and, likely, more players. If the creator has chosen to forgive the playerbase then that's his prerogative and I really respect him for both that and all the hard work he's done. Forgiveness is a rather rare gift in this world, and doubly so in this industry. Good on Redigit.
I respect him as well. There were some very base comments made about him even on these forums. "I don't care if he just had a child, he promised to put more features into the game" was one that really turned my stomach.

MinionJoe said:
CardinalPiggles said:
Actually, around the time of the patch, Terraria returned to the Best Sellers list on Steam. So he's making some bucks on it.

Personally, I was happy with the way 1.1 left Terraria. But this patch has definitely put him back into the limelight. Good marketing tactic, actually.
I wouldn't call it so much of a marketing tactic but more of a giving the playerss what they wanted when he didn't have to. Otherwise I agree.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I have a life and a job and things that I need to do.................Well I won't when this comes out I guess.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
See, it's stuff like this that makes me wanna buy Terraria 2 on launch even if I don't think I'll play it much. We need more developers like this guy.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:

He's gonna get alot of good vibes for it though from those who didn't want nor had any intention of complaining.
I'm going fund/buy Terraria 2 the second it's available for this. He's been terribly awesome about his game and the amount of hours I sank into Terraria have been ...well on Par with Skyrim. A tripleA title.

I'm excited for this and starbound, but I like more 'magic' in my world, Starbound kinda scratches my itch like Warcraft and Starcraft scratch different itches.

And I'm quite happy to enjoy both.

flamedance58

May 2, 2008
I'm very grateful for what he has done. It's an immense update that many of us are extremely happy with and the fact he took time away from his new project do to so is awesome. Definite props for him :D

Now on the topic of T2 I'm a wee bit concerned for obvious reasons. Will we have similar or the same items brought forward? Or are we going to end up with a completely different game but with just a residual signature of the original game? I wouldn't mind more RPG elements like levels, experience points, stats,etc...but at the same time I wouldn't want this to stray too too far from it's current working system.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I was fine with the 1.1 patch. It lasted me a good month and a half (much longer than most games can make me care for them) and I enjoyed every bit of it. Had I known he was working on the sequel I would have sent an email telling him to forget 1.2 and work on that instead.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
yclatious said:
This guy deserves a damed medal,just for making the update.
Seriously,I was still playing Terraria for quite a bit,but when I heard the update was coming,Iwas so hyped.
Too bad its mostly just nooby stuff like cactus armour(who thoguh of that?)
Hooray for awesome update that actualy gave us new stuff!(Minecraft,looking at you and your horses...)
have you actually taken things for a real spin? started over all over again with a new character, or a new map? there are tons of ridiculous features in it now to the point where i get confused as to how to progress not because there was a lack of things to do before, but now because there's so much stuff in there, reaching hardmode's like only halfway through the game now

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
MinionJoe said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
I wouldn't call it so much of a marketing tactic but more of a giving the playerss what they wanted when he didn't have to. Otherwise I agree.
Soooo... He gave the players what they were yammering for and there wasn't a news article on the Escapist about it?

;)

Doing something he didn't have to do, especially for free and years after-the-fact, seems to have paid off in free publicity and a resurgence in sales. Definitely sounds like a pretty effective marketing tactic to me. Whether it was intentional or not.
Fair point, but marketing tactics are almost always thought out and intentional :) Kinda why they're called tactics.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
yclatious said:
weirdguy said:
yclatious said:
This guy deserves a damed medal,just for making the update.
Seriously,I was still playing Terraria for quite a bit,but when I heard the update was coming,Iwas so hyped.
Too bad its mostly just nooby stuff like cactus armour(who thoguh of that?)
Hooray for awesome update that actualy gave us new stuff!(Minecraft,looking at you and your horses...)
have you actually taken things for a real spin? started over all over again with a new character, or a new map? there are tons of ridiculous features in it now to the point where i get confused as to how to progress not because there was a lack of things to do before, but now because there's so much stuff in there, reaching hardmode's like only halfway through the game now
I have actualy done that,spawned in a new world,etc,etc.It makes the begining much easier but usualy I actively stay out of hardmode anyway,just prefer a non halowed or corupted world.
that's too bad, there's a metric ton of post hardmode content now, but i can understand wanting to keep things simpler, because sometimes you want to be able to explore without getting attacked constantly lol

jake557

May 30, 2008
yclatious said:
I have actualy done that,spawned in a new world,etc,etc.It makes the begining much easier but usualy I actively stay out of hardmode anyway,just prefer a non halowed or corupted world.
You could always make a separate world and trigger hardmode there. It'd be a shame to skip it entirely, that's where the bulk of the new content is.