PS3 Shipments Continue To Look Hazy

Shawn Andrich

Aug 4, 2006
PS3 Shipments Continue To Look Hazy

Despite assurances from Sony, rumors continue to file in that PS3 shipment numbers may be much lower than expected.

According to a rumor posted [http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/NewsSearch.asp?DocID=2E1DC1FB03BEAA09482571D90046A0C6&query=PS3]by Digitimes, a short supply of blue laser diodes are cited as the latest reason why the PS3 may only ship half the 4 million units expected by the end of 2006. Digitimes claims that the manufacturing arm of Sony has suspended all blue laser diode shipments to companies building Blur-ray and HD-DVD players to bolster supply to the PS3 production lines.

The diode supply is not expected to get back on track until Spring of 2007.

Aug 29, 2006
PSP launch, 360 launch ... they've all followed this trend. No reason to think this won't as well. Sony will probably be whistling this tune all the way up until people don't get their preorders.

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
Toys'R'Us Aus just sent out an email to all stores telling them to stop taking PS3 pre-orders. The email didn't clarify why they are stopping but the inside word is that they are no longer certain of a pre-christmas release at this end of the world.

We were expecting the X360 in nov/dec and we got it in march, I asked a microsoft rep why we had gotten the shaft at the aussie 360 launch party and he said it was purely a matter of numbers. aus just isnt a big enough percentange of the world market and there weren't enough units to go round. looks like its gonna happen again.

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
PS3 delayed (Joystiq)

This will probably get posted in the news room tomorrow, but I figured I'd chuck a link up here cos I so called it!!

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
Yeah. Delayed until March in PAL territories, and only 500k at the Japan/US November launch. 400k to the US, 100k to Japan where the 360 is not serious competition. Just a few weeks ago KAz Hirai was sticking to the "4 million by the end of the year" thing. Sony's bet the farm on Blu-Ray, and Blu-Ray is the concrete shoes on the PS3 right now.