RI Gov Forced 38 Studios' Bankruptcy, Former Official Says

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
RI Gov Forced 38 Studios' Bankruptcy, Former Official Says

The game company founded by retired Major League Baseball pitcher Curt Schilling was unable to restructure its debt because of the governor of Rhode Island, a former official said.

Former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling liked games so much that he decided to create a game company called Green Monster Games, later renamed 38 Studios for Schilling's jersey number. The company had financial troubles and was forced to declare bankruptcy. Keith Stokes, former director of Rhode Island's Economic Development Corp., alleged Governor Lincoln Chafee of forcing the bankruptcy by obstructing any attempts made to restructure the company's debt or raise additional money.

Christine Hunsinger, Chafee's spokeswoman had no immediate comment, The Boston Globe reports. When campaigning for governor, Chafee opposed the 2010 deal that loaned $75 million to 38 Studios and encouraged the company to relocate from Massachusetts to Rhode Island. At the time, Stokes and previous governor Don Carcieri said the deal would help the economically-struggling Rhode Island. 38 Studios declared bankruptcy last year after releasing only one game, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Stokes alleges Chafee refused to meet with the company to discuss financial issues and blocked debt restructuring in late 2011 and early 2012, leading to the company's declaration of bankruptcy in June 2012. However, the state is now responsible for $90 million concerning the 2010 deal. The state sued Stokes, Schilling, and other parties "asserting that they knew the company would run out of money by last year but concealed that from the board." Schilling filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit in March, but a federal judge allowed the lawsuit to proceed in August.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Recokning received generally positive reviews, but was not a financial success. Chafee said the game investigating the $75 million deal [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-25-kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-needed-to-sell-3-million-to-break-even ] on claims that 38 Studios withheld information about its state of financial affairs.

Source: The Boston Globe [http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2013/10/03/former-official-says-governor-forced-bankruptcy-schilling-studios/LTVJHJkna0e0TmHVDBeFII/story.html]

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
*sigh* It makes me sad every time I see more news about this company's death. I really enjoyed Reckoning, and it sucks to continually be reminded that we'll never see that world expanded upon.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Word to the wise: if you're looking to make your debut into the gaming industry from an outside trade, it's probably best to start small and work your way up. Work on a few indie games, learn the ins and outs of game design, and make sure that if a project fails, it won't drag you with it. Taking a $75 million gamble on your first game, and then needing it to sell 3 million+ just to break even, is downright foolhardy. Most new IP are lucky to sell over the one million mark.

By all accounts, Kingdoms Of Amalur was a good game, but it seems to me that Schilling allowed his dreams to run ahead of him, and didn't think about the real world situation of developing an AAA game in the current industry.
I agree. I would like to add to the point by saying... don't make your first game as a contender in the WoW croud.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Ouch. I hope this isn't related to KoA becoming free on playstation plus.
I'm pretty bummed at this news. I liked the demo, but was pretty broke at the time it came out.
Man... sad news.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I don't want to be kicking them as they are down but it's probably best it ended sooner rather then later, people on the inside made it very clear the company had no plans to stop burning money at any point, just wanted to keep the dreams alive indefinitely.