Study Finds Media Industries Overstate Impact Of Piracy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Study Finds Media Industries Overstate Impact Of Piracy

Researchers at the London School of Economics say the music and movie industries have exaggerated the impact of piracy on their bottom line, and that in some cases it might actually help boost revenues.

I have always maintained (and always will maintain) that piracy is wrong, if only from a moral standpoint: If you want something, you should be prepared to pay for it - and if you're not willing to pay for it, then do without. But in terms of the actual damage it causes to the music and movie industries, it would appear that it's not quite as "wrong" as it appears.

A study by the London School of Economics has found that while some aspects of the movie and music industry are in decline - typically related to "old" methods of distribution - digital models have provided a significant and growing slice of revenues. Overall music industry revenues hit $60 billion in 2011 and in 2012, worldwide music sales actually grew for the first time since 1999. The report says "the drastic decline in revenues warned of by the lobby associations of record labels is not in evidence," and adds that the industry likely would have seen that growth sooner if it hadn't resisted digital expansion for so long.

"Contrary to the industry claims, the music industry is not in terminal decline but still holding ground and showing healthy profits," said Bart Cammaerts, senior lecturer in the LSE Department of Media and Communications and author of the study. "Revenues from digital sales, subscription services, streaming and live performances compensate for the decline in revenues from the sale of CDs or records."

In the movie industry, DVD sales and rentals declined by about ten percent between 2001 and 2010 but global revenues actually increased by five percent over the same period, while global box office revenues in 2012 hit $35 billion, a six percent increase over 2011. Similar things are happening in the videogame and book industries. "Although revenues from print book sales have declined, this has been offset by increases in sales of e-books, and the rate of growth is not declining despite reports lamenting the 'end of the book'," the report states.

The report argues that a "digital culture" that puts a greater value on sharing content than exclusive ownership has led to the development of new models of distribution, like Creative Commons licenses. And in some cases, online sharing of films and music can actually "generate marketing benefits" that increase revenues, noting that a consumer tracking study conducted by U.K. agency Ofcom found that file sharers spent more on content than those who stuck with legal channels.

Source: CBC

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Well, I think we can all agree that the first part of their conclusion isn't very surprising: according to the entertainment industry piracy should've bankrupted them all about three times over.

I doubt this changes much though - opinions on piracy are much to entrenched on either side for such frivolities as scientific research to make much of a dent.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Researchers continue by stating that birds sing, the sun shines, and brother, I hurt people.

edit @V "insight", unless there's someone wanting an angry mob to burn down the library to end this sharing business. Hmm...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I want everybody in this thread to hold a drink up and toast Neil Gaiman for his insight in comparing piracy to going to the library.

EDIT: Thank you, I caught it.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
In other news;

Water is wet
Grass is green.

When are developers going to accept that the reason their product might not sell is not piracy, but that it just plain fucking sucks, and is an overpriced piece of shit.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Still doesn't change the fact that piracy is illegal and should, therefore, be punishable.

inb4 "see, it's fine to pirate"

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I'm surprised that these anti-piracy nutjobs are still so vocal about it even despite the evidence that it actually benefits them. I guess it's easier to blame bad business decisions on piracy than your own incompetence.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
This suprises me not one bit. The music and movie industries are just butthurt that they resisted the internet for so long that someone else came along and offered a service that they couldn't control and bleed dry in the pursuit of profits. But this study isn't going to change much, the industries have spent too much to just admit they are wrong and there is no way they will wipe out piracy without completely controlling the internet.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Yeah... but this study is all wrong! I mean WHAT?! The indusrty says they lose money from piracy it's becuase they do! Not like... from bad decisions they make on stupid DRM choices or movies launching over half a year later in some countries! I mean DUUUH! (and for those that might be a bit lost, yes ladies and gentlemen, this is a joke).

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
I'm surprised that these anti-piracy nutjobs are still so vocal about it even despite the evidence that it actually benefits them. I guess it's easier to blame bad business decisions on piracy than your own incompetence.
It's not just about blame, but also about control.

I believe, that even if they would be 100% sure that allowing free downloading would be more profitable than locking out a large part of the userbase (and they would have the properly working DRM to let them choose between the two), some business leaders would STILL prefer to fight piracy.

Theoretically, corporations are only supposed to care about money. In practice, they are led by humans. Filthy rich humans, in most of our cases, who haave little practical reason to earn more oney of their own.

The only motivation why a person like Bobby Kotick or Yves Guillemot keeps waking up early in the morning and work hard, is not that he needs to, and The Bank will foreclose his house unless he makes enough green arrows point upwards on his monitor, but because he ENJOYS doing it. And most likely, what he truly enjoys is not earning more cash for his investors and for the board of directors, but playing a kind of tycoon game style enjoyment: Growing his dominance over he market, exerting power over his opponents, influencing the lives of millions of people, being relevant.

In a way, patrolling the Internet, making sure that you are having fun in the corporate-approved way, and that you tip at the money jar every time they say so, is not just the means to them earning more money, but an end for it's own sake.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
wombat_of_war said:
the only suprising thing about this study to me was that it wasnt supressed in the first place
Information about piracy doesn't need much suppression, given that how it truly works is counterintuitive enough for the average Forum Warrior to do their job for them.

inb4:
" But this data would benefit the selfish justifications of pirates, therefore it must be false!"
" But stealing is stealing, that's simple, even if it doesn't actually take away things from someone's possesson, or causes financial harm!"
" Just because it's not harmful, doesn't mean that it's not wrong! You still wouldn't steal someone's car for a joyride, and then put it back without damage!"
"But even if piracy in general isn't harmful, I met a particular pirate who was indeed freeloading without paying anything, therefore I will continue to condemn "piracy" for that!"

All right, maybe I'm not giving enough credit where credit's due, the copyright industry did a pretty clver job spreading the "intellectual property" figure of speech, which is in itself largely responsible for making it counterintuitive for file-sharing to sound acceptable.

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
while i personally don't care about piracy its a double edged sword when the media starts crying about pirates

on one hand you have crazy prices for going to the cinema and watching movies at 12-14 pounds (or 3D at 16 or more) while being blasted by 30 minutes of adverts followed by 20 minutes of trailers 10 minutes of warnings and then finally the movie starts which it may or may not suck (looking at you die hard 5)

and then you have pirates providing a free of charge service for absolutely nothing which isn't exactly a fair trade off for those who made it considering their efforts were going to waste

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
mateushac said:
Still doesn't change the fact that piracy is illegal and should, therefore, be punishable.

inb4 "see, it's fine to pirate"
While it seems obvious why piracy should be punished, I don't think that the fact that something is illegal means it should lead to punishment mostly because just because something is illegal it doesn't mean that its a fair law and should be illegal. Case in point, its illegal for a muslim to convert to another faith in Iran.

I think the argument you are thinking of is "just because the consequences aren't dire, doesn't mean that piracy should be legal", which is completely fair. There is a reason things with lower level consequences like jaywalking or driving without car insurance are illegal.

As for the research itself, I'm kind of confused. In academic terms, its barely a blurb and their data isn't clearly explained. At one point they talk about UK sales, in another global sales. They are ignoring a main criticism a study that looks at absolute values, especially in global sales, that if they took into consideration should have been discussed in the paper: The world population is increasing, money per capita is increasing globally, and original goods are becoming more and more available in areas where they were not before (including using digital distribution). As such, we have this basic equation; more consumers+more money per consumer+access to market goods=more revenue. This is obvious in any consumer good market. For example, the film industry is now focusing quite strongly about films shown in Chinese cinemas which was not the case 10 years ago because the rise of the Chinese middle class and movie watching patterns has been so significant.

Also, ignoring this, we are left with the example of the convenience store: Just because it is profitable does not mean that its right that it looses profit to "five finger discounts". The store should technically be making MORE money. This study doesn't look at the amount of revenue that was lost due to piracy, just an absolute number that is obviously higher today than 10 years ago. Losses from piracy might actually be quite significant while still allowing for these industries to see an increase in absolute revenue.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
What, an industry that makes billions of dollars suing grandmothers and nine year old girls over copyright claims is overstating the impact of piracy on their profits? Surely, you jest! *massive sarcasm*

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Is it just me or is this starting to sound like a drug debate? I mean you have people saying "look at the actual effects" and the other side saying "Yeah but it's illegal"

I also think there is an atmosphere of "well, I used to pirate when I was younger and struggling for cash but now I can afford these things its totally unforgivable to pirate, even if you're struggling for cash" ... It's a weird double standard to me.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I'll agree that piracy is damaging to the industry in SOME fashion; but I hardly believe it's such an omnipresent evil that it forces corporations and governments to double down on aggressive pro-corporate legislation. Piracy is a problem, yes, but I've always believed that it's a problem the moneymakers more than gladly exaggerate in order to postpone their own obsolescence.

In the eighties, the popular tactic was essentially "Don't use a tape deck, buy our cassettes instead!", and now it's shifted to "Don't download lossless formats off of Torrent trackers, use our vastly inferior legal download platforms! Better yet, buy a CD for which you probably don't even own a reader anymore!"

In terms of games, I'm kind of torn. I have a friend who works for A Big Company That Shall Remain Unnamed, and I occasionally pirate games his own team has developed. I used to lie about it and pretended I hadn't bought or played this or that title, until a slip of the tongue made me realize that honestly, the low-level grunts at places like EA's studios or Ubisoft Montreal don't really give a crap about how you enjoy their work. They're paid, in any case, and paid quite well. There aren't any cases of major devs downsizing because piracy negatively impacted the studio's ability to survive.

Besides, I'm more in the habit of nabbing games, waiting until the paycheck comes through, buying it legit and keeping my pirated copy's saved games. :) Pirated games have largely replaced demos for me, and most don't have than one month or two in terms of shelf life. As soon as I can afford retail and if the game is worth it, I'll gladly shell out the moolah.

Although - Steam's changed that, in recent years. A third tactic of mine involves waiting for Christmas or summer sales.

Bottom line, I'd prosecute the guy with the bloated media server who hosts his own super seedbox, but not the casual Torrent user who hasn't received so much as a single warning from his ISP.