265: Punching the Baby Seal of PC Gaming

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
squid5580 said:
DTWolfwood said:
hahaha XD good read man!

I wouldnt wish your troubles on my enemies.

But seeing that i've maybe had 1 game crash on me this pass year without me actually doing something (alt-tabbing, etc.), and considering i've had 2 lock ups on my PS3 (Red Dead Redemption and SSF4) in the same amount of time. My experience is oddly on the Opposite end XD

O PC gamers, stick with nVidia chipsets <.< ATI is totally on the fritz! new display drivers for ATI cards in the radeon 5xxx series blow chunks! I never had that problem with nVidia cards!

Man responsible for the Omega Drivers, PLEASE COME BACK ; ;
Hey he said Xbox not PS3 lol. My PS3 crashes far more than my Xbox ever did. The sad part is my 360 is older.
Honestly the reason it crashes more on the PS3 is probably the porting process. RDR is guilty of this since the 360 version is the High Definition one. As for SSF4 thats probably a port too. Its not the Hardware, its the Software its running and runs with.
Oh sorry I wasn't talking RDR (I fully expect a game like that to crash at least once)I was talking with games in general. I have had my PS3 crash from arcade titles to full retail games. I have had it crash on the XMB with nothing in it. Just trying to see my friend list or update my trophies. It is either because the slim doesn't have enough ventilation or there is something wrong with mine (because it gets hot fast) but I didn't get the extended warranty and no bloody way am I giving them half of what I paid for it to fix it. So I just keep givin MS all of my money.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
I'm confused. Is it "bring your troll to work" day at the Escapist?

I bought eighteen games in the Steam sale, for a total of £60. So far, I have played three of them, and have already got my money's worth. And I've yet to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat, which would be worth at least £60 on their own.

I have about 60 games on Steam that I've actually played for many hours (another 30 I haven't got around to playing yet), only one or two of which have had technical problems (and I run Windows 7). I think that's comparable to Xboxes RRODing and scratching discs.

If you push pieces of Battenburg cake into your PS3 through the ventilation ducts, you will find it performs just as poorly as your malware-infested PCs.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
The reason why I only play on PC: Where a brand new 360 or PS3 game in my country is around $90 USD, the PC version is cheaper, around $30-40. If you factor Steam sales, it's a no brainer.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Monkeyman8 said:
a hahaha, a 360 that hasn't RROD'd at least once? Yeah PC gaming has its problems, and consoles have the same damn problems (crashes, buggy games, patches, DLC) plus the problem of a walled as garden. they're like the macs of gaming, and glossing over their flaws while bringing up the same flaws in PC games (hell you've even gotta install console games these days) is disingenuous at best.
How very very true now if look at a gameboy thats pick up and play.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
chuckwendig said:
I wish I were exaggerating.

I'm not overclocking.

I did not install off-the-books gray-market equipment (like, say, a windmill or an animatronic squirrel).

I do virus checks.

I update my drivers like a good little boy.

Perhaps I'm the exception (though reading other people's comments, probably not), but I assure you: I'm not doing anything wrong. The tech is failing me. I am not failing the tech.

Now, do not feel obliged to agree with me.

Alternately, disagreement should not equate to: "Waah, fuck you," but hey, you do what you like.

(Oh, and also: for the most part, CRYSIS runs really well. It does occasionally drop on me or change my graphic settings, but it always gets back into the game. So it's fairly low on my "complaint totem pole.")

-- Chuck
Wow, when I read the artile, I kept thing "WTF?! Who let this ASSHOLE write for the Escapist? What a goddamned troll!"

Then I read your comments, and you're pretty cool. I like you now. Sucks about your frustrating experiences. I wish I could help out. I run a pretty low-end computer and cannot even play Crysis.

Good luck smoothing things out.

Xiorell

Jan 9, 2010
Hmm. Never had issues with Fallout3 myself. Crysis runs silky smooth.... Only game in that article that's been a cock is Saints Row 2, but I hear it was just a shit port hence piss poor frame rates etc.

Ph33onix

Jun 4, 2010
wow, lame article, too many mythology/phylosophy references, it made me feel dizzy not too mention all the stupid adjectives like "gozzy" and "dulcet", it's like I'm reading an Old English book, also have you noticed how annoying it can be to write HUGE ASS sencences without any periods so the reader can catch his BREATH once in a while ??

Ok, back to the point. Yeah I'm sorry guys but the consoles are all hyped up now cuz they finally got good multiplayer. They are much more popular than PC because 70%% of the "gamers" are actually 12 year olds playing Halo/Modern Warfare who for obvious reasons would much reather just press POWER ON button and play rather than wait for windows to load then double click an icon. The other 30% are REAL gamers, meaning 13+ no-lifers that play wow/"other mmorpg"/various other more PC specific games (RTS,MMOpuzzle-platform games,RPG's).

Both PCs and consoles have just as many problems, probably the PC has much more errors however you must take into account that a PC is not just for playing games... so yeah...

Also I have never actually bought a game so whenever a game doesn't work i just wait for a better crack :). Because of that I can't say I'm really ever frustrated if I have problems :p cuz when you get stuff for free on the internet you expect it too have problems and not be easy but it ALWAYS works so it's alright.

BTW STEAM ROCKS I mean it's just soo easy to modify steam and play l4d/l4d2/TF2 on their servers, also hl:dm is free so go nuts !

And another thing, specs on PCs mean nothing, just search for a video card and you'll find ones with 1gb memory that cost 100$ and then ones that also have 1gb memory but cost around 700$ so you just gotta read a bit about what makes a computer run, memory frequencies, SLI/crossfire technology, and other stuff and you will be playing games at 200+ fps in no time :p

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Fusionxl said:
This article sounds like a massive flamebait, you cannot honestly expect to write "Fuck PC gaming" and not majorly piss off a lot of people. How did they even let you publish such a public suicide?

Aside from that, the root of your problems seems to come from buying shit PCs, not from games sucking. Both Crysis and Fallout run like well oiled swiss clockwork on my rig ( custom built, but it's starting to get a little bit old ), there are very few problems that come from games and not from hardware / software conflicts. If all users experienced Crysis crashes every 5 minutes the game would have been patched or pulled off the shelves before you could even find a baby seal at the zoo. Thus, it is your fault.

My suggestion:

1. Give a friend who has some understanding of PCs around 300 to 350 bucks and ask them to build a gaming rig for you. Then give them a cookie.
2. Install 64 bit Windows 7 with video card drivers ( Catalyst Control Center for ATI cards practically makes you breakfast if you want ).
3. ???
4. PROFIT

I will guarantee you can run everything that comes out in the next, oh, 5 years or so without much problem.
Pretty much that.

And it's absolutely cool to insult a large portion of this website's readers console of choice and expect everyone to be okay with it... Not!

Eukaryote said:
Fuck PC gaming.
Fuck you too.

This article would probably have got the user put on probation were it posted in the forums, so why is it here? I mean this is practically flame bait. Hell, this IS flame bait.
Yeah... Standards, not very high, must be, nowadays.

Emperorpeng

Jun 29, 2009
I gave up trying to play Assasin's Creed because every cutscene crawled by in a stuttering, lagging mess. No. Just no.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Pretty pathetic that were that this gets published and doesn't really have a valid point just a opinion piece that doesn't really illustrate what happens in real life except that the writer is shit with pc's. This also could miss lead people from buying starcraft 2.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
murphy7801 said:
Pretty pathetic that were that this gets published and doesn't really have a valid point just a opinion piece that doesn't really illustrate what happens in real life except that the writer is shit with pc's. This also could miss lead people from buying starcraft 2.
Sure. If they're morons.

Trying to say that Chuck's article is pathetic because it's "just an opinion piece" is like saying one of Yahtzee's videos is pathetic for the very same reason. All reviews are opinion pieces. We all have our opinions. One person's opinion shouldn't persuade or dissuade you from taking or not taking a particular course of action.

Rely on your own personal experience, opinions and common sense. While a review might enlighten you to something about a bit of media you were not aware of before reading it, or an opinion piece might inspire you to either write your own in agreement or in argument, what they shouldn't do is define your own perspective on the subject at hand.

My computer isn't that great. But I love PC gaming. I'd own StarCraft 2 if it weren't for the fact that I need to choose between games and warm meals. Chuck's article isn't going to make me club my PC like a baby seal. I respect his opinion, I laughed at his jokes and got his references. But he won't make me turn my back on PC gaming. Why? Because I already decided that I love it.

And while I'd continue that point to say "I'm not a moron," I also play World of Warcraft, so...

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
uppitycracker said:
Wow, I had a really hard time reading that. Anti-PC gaming statements like this sure are infuriating. People talk about how the PC market is dying (which couldn't be farther from the truth), and here we have so-called writers basically talking down on the whole experience, when it's most likely due to user error? I mean, a number of factors can cause the problems you've explained. And most of them usually have to do with ignorance on the users part.

It's funny, because all of those games listed, I have had zero issues with. Crysis especially. What am I doing differently? Honestly, probably not much. Just simple things, such as keeping my PC free of dust, making sure I don't bottleneck my system with one amazing part and one ancient one (which I'd almost be willing to bet one of these two things is yer problem), ect.

Honestly, it's ignorant posting like this that I thought I was avoiding by reading the escapist. It amazes me that this was even published. Shit like this is only going to give the wrong perception of PC gamers to people who don't know better, and a market that is already struggling in the console age doesn't need crap like this tainting it's image. In short, and I'm sure I speak for all PC gamers when I say this: Fuck PC gaming? No, sir, fuck you.
Wow, I had a really hard time reading that. Anti-anti-PC gaming statements like this sure are infuriating.People talk about how the PC market is dying (which we cannot know for certain), and here we have so-called posters basically talking down on those who experience problems, when it's most likely due to system error? I mean, a number of factors can cause the problems you've explained. And most of them usually have to do with ignorance on the reader's part.

It's funny, because all of those games listed, many people have had numerous issues with. Crysis especially.What are they doing differently? Honestly, probably not much.

Honestly, it's ignorant posting like this that I thought I was avoiding by reading the escapist. It amazes me that this was even published. Shit like this is only going to give the wrong perception of frustrated PC gamers to people who don't know better, and a market that you gave the impression that wasn't struggling in the console age doesn't need crap like this tainting it's image. In short, and I'm sure I speak for all PC gamers when I say this: Fuck those who voice their complaints about PC gaming? No, sir, fuck you.

the_carrot

Nov 8, 2007
...Too bad. I hate to get like this, but If you can't take the time out of your busy gaming schedule to put together and do the upkeep on a gaming PC, Don't game on the PC. Obviously you've decided not to, or to do so less, but in all seriousness I'm just not sympathetic. I don't buy it, that you have a good handle on how to upkeep it and faced problems so bad that you're in a rage that could get you arrested. Though if it's a laptop, and a Dell no less, I feel like you asked for it to some extent.

That is an amount snippy cynicism, not wholly, but even if those weren't the problem, I doubt you put the literally small effort required to keep a PC in good working order. I seriously want to recommend that you buy a mac and taste the other end of the spectrum, where you have no control over the hardware, and similarly little over the software, and have all of the upkeep in the hands of tech support somewhere and just use purely proprietary solutions like the xbox and Macintosh. Where your efforts to solve problems are circumvented by the agreements you agree to use them and you're purely at their whim. Civ will come out for the Mac too, you're made in the shade with that one.

The possibility that you have no problems with either of these platforms exists, but there are technical issues with those pieces of hardware too, and with those, you have NO control over them without invalidating your warranty permanently and seeing an end to all support for something that is made deliberately difficult to solve problems on.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
To correct a previous poster; In order to purchase a fairly nice gaming rig, custom built with non-awful parts, you're still looking at 500-700 depending on pricing. I know, I've looked. A lot.

On topic: I generally have to agree with other folks who've posted thus far. It sounds like an issue with your human error/drivers/parts. Though, admittedly, 90% of problems can be attributed to that not-so-holy trinity. That's not to say that you're incompetent, far from it, it's just a very general assertion based on past and present experience. :p

I also realize that this is an opinion based article meant to entertain and you still have every intention, willing or not, to continue on your oh so merry way with PC gaming. Duh. So, given that realization, I'm not exactly enraged by the content. It's just griping about what we all deal with on a daily basis with our chosen hobby.

On that note; A giant screw you to KotOR on Win 7.

Oh, and, for the record...Red Ring of Death. These sorts of problems aren't limited to PCs, they're just more prevalent given the vast variety of parts, as was mentioned.

Reliq

Nov 25, 2009
Chuck Wendig said:
Punching the Baby Seal of PC Gaming

You see that cute little baby seal? Chuck Wendig wants to punch that seal in the mouth because Crysis locked up on him. Again.

Read Full Article
"You pay this much money for a car, the shit's supposed to work."

The above statement, is why automechanics and pc-tech´s alike have jobs. People that dont know you need to change the oil now and then. Cant tell you how many times I hear a similar outcry over pc´s. But well it puts food on my table :)

But seriously, prebuilt computers. Even from big brands like Dell, are not very good. They cut corners to increase profit, and no matter how awsome the design of the box theres always a pig in there somewhere that makes your life difficult.

You want a trouble free pc? Do your research, buy high-quality parts, assemble them yourself and then maintain them properly.

Big brand pc´s are a complete mess of weird motherboards, undersized powersupplies, cheap ram, bad cooling and assembly **** ups.

Happy customers do not make profit, cheap crap that sort of work until the warranty expires do. And if your sales dip, just do an ad-campaign and people will believe your brand is spotless again.

Capitalism ftw :)

Reveras

Nov 9, 2009
Wow this was just more of a "console fanboy" view of the pc games than a pc gaming experience, and it was interesting to say the least, or the most, dunno. Either way ...u didn't even mention games that work perfectly on the pc, u just clapped ur lips around the consoles and sucked hard.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
squid5580 said:
Oh sorry I wasn't talking RDR (I fully expect a game like that to crash at least once)I was talking with games in general. I have had my PS3 crash from arcade titles to full retail games. I have had it crash on the XMB with nothing in it. Just trying to see my friend list or update my trophies. It is either because the slim doesn't have enough ventilation or there is something wrong with mine (because it gets hot fast) but I didn't get the extended warranty and no bloody way am I giving them half of what I paid for it to fix it. So I just keep givin MS all of my money.
heh i meant in general too, just gave specific examples in my experience. It would seem like most mulitiplatform games are created for the 360 then ported. (pretty sure devs just arent too happy to work with the PS3 Software and OS)

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Ah, make one mention of the PC not being the master race and just look at all the negative comments flocking towards it like flies to... whatever it is that flies like.

The PC isn't a platform built to play games on. Pure and simple. It can play games and games get made for them simply because... well... they can make them. Same reason we have games on mobile phones these days. But because it's not built solely for playing them, problems arise.

Some stick with it, putting extra effort just so they can mod the game and build their own version of it with slightly better graphics. They fight for what they like. And judging by the length of some of the arguments they have, spend about the equal amount of time defending the time they spend playing in the first place.

Some don't. They see games as well... games. Something to unwind with and just play. Although that group spends the same amount of time playing saying how almost every game this generation is shit. No matter what generation it is.

Whatever side you're on, the other will label you a fanboy. Because that's what we do on this big wide interweb.

-Remy

chuckwendig

Jun 29, 2010
LostGryphon said:
On topic: I generally have to agree with other folks who've posted thus far. It sounds like an issue with your human error/drivers/parts. Though, admittedly, 90% of problems can be attributed to that not-so-holy trinity. That's not to say that you're incompetent, far from it, it's just a very general assertion based on past and present experience. :p

I also realize that this is an opinion based article meant to entertain and you still have every intention, willing or not, to continue on your oh so merry way with PC gaming. Duh. So, given that realization, I'm not exactly enraged by the content. It's just griping about what we all deal with on a daily basis with our chosen hobby.
That's the thing. Despite the rage this article seems to evoke, careful readers of the article would note:

a) I sure do own a lot of PC games.

b) I sure do plan to buy more PC games.

My issue may very well be parts and drivers. I'm a capable, if not brilliant, user of PCs, so I'm confident it's not human error. I merely grow weary at the parade of problems encountered and undocumented fixes necessary. I know I'm not alone in experiencing such issues.

The article is meant to entertain, not enrage.

Those who are enraged might consider buying a Zen garden or a Koi pond. Something nice and relaxing. Breathe in. Breathe out.

Ahhhh.

-- Chuck

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Kojiro ftt said:
Amen.

Some day they will add keyboard & mouse support to consoles and PCs will be truly dead. I don't understand why they don't see that. WoW, RTS, etc will all be ported as soon as keyboard & mouse are natively supported.
Good luck getting the console publishers to take a chance on something new if that happens. I'm not saying one market is better or worse than the other, but you're ignoring the fundamental distinction and instead focusing on a simple difference in hardware. The real value of the PC platform in the gaming industry is its lack of restrictions compared to first-party console publishers.

Yes, console games have a consistent hardware profile, but they aim at a mass market and don't serve the smaller niches that exist throughout the community. The entire field is dominated by a handful of very similar, very safe franchises because that's what sells to the largest demographic.

It's true that we see that on the PC too, but that's because development budgets are out of control and publishers are playing it safe. Unfortunately, that's not going to work. If you look at the best selling PC games of the last several years, they're almost all PC exclusives.