Saints Row Patch In The Works

Shawn Andrich

Aug 4, 2006
Saints Row Patch In The Works

Volition has a patch planned for Saints Row, the recently released Xbox 360 title.

In a post on the official message boards [http://developer.saintsrow.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4375], Volition has listed the fixes planned for Saints Row, the Xbox 360 title released earlier this week. Most appear to be focused on multiplayer; including a "clothes stealing" exploit, lag fixes and some match-making tweaks. According to Volition, there are also some issues with widescreen support at certain resolutions that need to be addressed.

The patch for the Xbox 360 game does not currently have a release date.

Jul 28, 2006
The old Console Patch debate... Okay, show of hands: how many people think patches through Live are a bad thing? Okay, now how about people who think it's a good thing?

There's an argument to be made that allowing patches makes console developers lazy, but I like that devs can go back and fix something. What do you crazy Escapists think?

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I think a patch coming the week of or after launch shows that the devs were already aware of a problem when the product shipped.

Which in my mind sucks, because they allowed people to buy a product they knew was incomplete or broken in some way. Bad, bad baby.

Shannon Drake

Jul 11, 2006
I liked it back when console owners got to be smug about not dealing with the constant "Ship it! We'll patch it later!" mentality of PC developers. I can't say I like this at all.

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
Think about it this way, would you rather have Saints Row now or a month from now?

Jul 28, 2006
Fletcher said:
I think a patch coming the week of or after launch shows that the devs were already aware of a problem when the product shipped.

Which in my mind sucks, because they allowed people to buy a product they knew was incomplete or broken in some way. Bad, bad baby.
Isn't it all about degrees, though? Looking at what they're fixing in this patch, it doesn't look like there were serious, game-hindering problems. I'm not sure I'd call Saints Row broken.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Lex Darko said:
Think about it this way, would you rather have Saints Row now or a month from now?
I'd rather have a game that works or is finished than one that isn't. Sorry, but I don't buy into the "Must have now!" hysteria.

Offering something for sale implies that it's a finished, working product. Offering one that isn't is a lie in my book; regardless of the "degree" of brokenness.

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
The only patches I'm willing to accept are multiplayer balance tweaks.
And only if they are very minor.

There was a time when a buggy console game would get bashed by critics and not sell well at all. I don't want that time to end. When reviewers start saying "this is a good game but its a bit buggy, wait for the patch then pick it up" we have reached very dark days indeed.

HuCast

Aug 18, 2006
Lex Darko said:
Think about it this way: Would you rather spend your money on something that works the way it should or would you prefer to pay the same amount for the same item that comes with "defects"?

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
HuCast said:
Lex Darko said:
Think about it this way: Would you rather spend your money on something that works the way it should or would you prefer to pay the same amount for the same item that comes with "defects"?
I primarily play MMOGs so all I really do is buy unfinished games and throw my money into that MMOG void.

I would say though the time of near bug free console games are over. I think we will just have to get used to that fact and realize that the more consoles become computers the more console games will take on the traits of computer games.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Lex Darko said:
I would say though the time of near bug free console games are over. I think we will just have to get used to that fact and realize that the more consoles become computers the more console games will take on the traits of computer games.
I don't disagree that there is evidence that games are trending that way, but I believe that the console-makers' goal of breaking into new markets will balance that out. It will have to. Just as the market for 80-hour fantasy games, and action titles requiring a hint book is only so large, so, too, is the market of people willing to apply a patch.