Rumor: Far Cry 4 Is Under Development

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Rumor: Far Cry 4 Is Under Development

Far Cry composer Cliff Martinez accidentally let slip that he is working on the title.

Did you enjoy Far Cry 3? The game was a equally successful [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124047-Far-Cry-3-Sells-6-Million-Proves-A-Massive-Hit]. A sequel was inevitable, and it looks like it may already be in development, at least according to composer Cliff Martinez.

In an interview with Lost in the Multiplex [http://www.lostinthemultiplex.com/extras/features/item/4252-the-soundtrek-interview-cliff-martinez.html], the TV and movie composer let slip that he is working on "a video game called Far Cry 4," along with a new TV series from Steven Soderbergh.

Martinez has previously worked with the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Captain Beefheart and composed scores for the films Drive, Only God Forgives, Contagion, Solaris, Traffic and more. He wasn't the composer for Far Cry 3, but he has dipped his toes in videogame composing in the past, putting together the score for EA's Spore back in 2008.

Ubisoft have yet to officially announce the game, but we've sent out a mail asking for a comment.

The strength of the Far Cry series is taking a somewhat familiar open-world setting, but introducing completely new characters and story with each installment.

Source: VG24/7 [http://www.lostinthemultiplex.com/extras/features/item/4252-the-soundtrek-interview-cliff-martinez.html]

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
I wonder if this was really an accidental remark or a cleverly orchestrated setup to keep Far Cry in the contemporary news cycle from 'Far Cry 3' to 'Blood Dragon' to 'Far Cry 4'. After all, the most effective advertising is delivered with a little drama.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Hey, good news all around.

Far Cry III is one of my favorite games. I loved the imagery, themes, ridiculous action, crazy characters and streamlined gameplay with a protagonist that was actually aware as to how absurd his actions were. It was also a very pretty game.

I hope the next installment can replicate the same magic.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Personally, after 1 and 3 taking place on an island and 2 taking place in sub-Saharan Africa, could we get one that takes place in a snowy environment? Like Siberia in the winter or northern Canada? Oh, maybe an island in the north of Canada so we still have an island?

Capcha: when, where?

See, even capcha wants to know.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I thought this was pretty much a given since it's Ubisoft we're talking about? They're generally don't wait very long between games in their successful franchises.

Hopefully it's as good as FC3 was. Please don't be another Assassin's Creed 3.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Not much information in this article, I mean what kind of TV show is Soderbergh working on? Far Cry 4 was a given. A Soderbergh TV project, that is news.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I want to switch it so blood dragon 2 comes out first and fc4 for 15 buckaroos.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
after tremedeous sucess of Far Cry 3, did anyone expect otherwise?
Then again, maybe i should try Far Cry 3 after all, i got so burned with 2 i dropped the franchise but it keeps coming up.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
No way; a company that isn't valve is making a sequel to a successful series? Color me surprised.

How many boobs and totally-ok-because-it-happened-to-a-guy rape scenes will this one have?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Please be set in a snowy environment.
FarCry 1: Large amounts of tropical islands with pseudo Sci-Fi bases.
FarCry 2: Savannah
FarCry 3: Tropical Island but is mostly centred around one.

But I'm more excited for FarCry Classic.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I want African setting. Far Cry 2 had such an amazing and immersive setting. It was gorgeous. I basically want Far Cry 3 gameplay with Far Cry 2 setting.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Was I the only one who like FC2, it was one of the greatest games of all time. I didn't like FC3 cause of all the characters are complete twats and the guy I'm trying to kill, is the most interesting of all. So I hope they change it up, like with every other one...

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
I loved FC3 but have to say the gameplay was pretty bland. You visit radio towers, clear camps, hunt some animals and participate in some mini games to earn money to buy guns that can be obtained for free. Whole economy idea didn't work out at all.

Still engaging characters and great atmosphere was enough to make it all enjoyable. So ubisoft you better remember that! We need Sam Becker and Vaas 2.0 ;)

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
The Gentleman said:
Personally, after 1 and 3 taking place on an island and 2 taking place in sub-Saharan Africa, could we get one that takes place in a snowy environment? Like Siberia in the winter or northern Canada? Oh, maybe an island in the north of Canada so we still have an island?
So.. Skyrim with guns then? Wait, I think I've heard that somewhere before.

I do like the idea though; perhaps with some sort of hypothermia mechanic and weathering blizzards. Oh oh oh! Tactical Avalanches.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Teoes said:
The Gentleman said:
So.. Skyrim with guns then? Wait, I think I've heard that somewhere before.

I do like the idea though; perhaps with some sort of hypothermia mechanic and weathering blizzards. Oh oh oh! Tactical Avalanches.
You might want to copyright Tactical Avalanche...:')

OT: Cannot wait! Loved the Farcry games (Except 2...ugh) so hopefully i'll enjoy this.

Hope it's set somewhere different than Africa or a tropical Island, Snowy Environment could be fun, but so could a desert, needing water so you don't dehydrate etc...anything is better than Malaria.

Timmibal

Nov 8, 2010
Mcoffey said:
Mycroft Holmes said:
No way; a company that isn't valve is making a sequel to a successful series? Color me surprised.

How many boobs and totally-ok-because-it-happened-to-a-guy rape scenes will this one have?
That scene was so uncomfortable, made even worse by the fact that it's never addressed. Less of that in 4 please. Sex is fine, but lets keep it consentual if it's supposed to be okay, hmm Ubisoft?
Are you guys talking about the one after you're tripping balls and fighting the giant? Or the one after you decide to cut your girlfriend's throat? Because neither seemed decidedly rapey to me... I mean Jason seems to have no objections to the former, and he's flat out LOVING the latter... Well, until the stabby bit.

Oh, you mean the whole thing with Buck and Keith? I don't remember that ever being treated as 'OK', I mean it's not confirmed that it actually even happened until right before you decide to stick a knife in Buck's guts anyway, and before that point you're forced to play nice with him anyway just to keep Keith alive.