XCOM Under Attack: EXALT Security Breach Video

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
XCOM Under Attack: EXALT Security Breach Video

OK, Commander, see that human over there? Kill him. The guy next to him too.

In the revamped XCOM: Enemy Within, one of your biggest threats comes from the new human traitors, EXALT [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10643-XCOM-Enemy-Within-Preview-The-Human-Threat-of-EXALT]. This Cold War style cat-and-mouse battle will have you tracking down its sleeper cells all over the planet, and hopefully putting an end to its threat for good. But what if you don't do that? What if EXALT wins? Well, Commander, let me show you a video and remind you that, if humanity is to survive, EXALT had better not win.

[video=8230 autoplay=0]

EXALT's a spy organization, a hybrid of Bond villain SPECTRE mixed with XCOM: Apocalypse's Cult of Sirius. EXALT can muster pretty much the same kind of soldiers you can, so expect to be going up against Snipers, Supports, Assaults and Heavies; but EXALT can also upgrade, just like you can, hence the rather fancy sniper rifle that fella in the video is pointing at your troopers. Alien tech is also on hand to give EXALT an extra boost. The AI's pretty bright too, so don't expect EXALT to be a pushover on the battlefield.

Will there be a base assault? Well, lead designer Ananda Gupta kinda poured cold water on that notion [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/interviews/10644-Why-Theres-No-Multiple-Bases-in-XCOM-Firaxis-Q-A] when he spoke to Greg Tito, and suggested that defending your base from alien attack really wasn't what XCOM was about. But he also said that "if we were to do that we would need to sort of hammer down all that narrative stuff," and maybe this EXALT trailer is Firaxis' way of doing just that. Sectoids in your basement? Probably not, but EXALT spies in your team? Maybe ...

XCOM: Enemy Within is due November 15th on PC, Xbox 360 and PC.

Source: 2K YouTube Channel [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd9CmpLZVMI&list=PL4BE87EC43B1622F0]

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
This thread'll probably go the same as both of those yesterday. I was actually surprised at how negatively XCOM2012 is being considered at the moment, but then I wasn't paying much attention to public consensus last year when it was first received.

I'll certainly pick this up, I'll maybe wait for sale prices, and I have Xenonauts/the original games for everything I want that this/EU doesn't provide.

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
Ultratwinkie said:
Funny enough it was well received.

But now the expansion is being blasted for having things that old XCOMs had.

I guess people are spoiled on resistance, Mass Effect, and the bureau now so anything else a "rip off" even though XCOM predates them by a long while.
the last part doesn't make many sense since most of the people who complain are XCOm Veterans who feel that XCOM:EU isn't deep enough and too focused on only doing one thing instead of having a bigger scope.
I'm pretty sure that those are the same people who complained when XCOM came out.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
....EXALT is gonna fuck with my stuff...all snipers, aim for the head.

Also the eyes in that one guy...did the aliens perfect the Thin Men?

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Fuck the haters. This game is awesome, and this expansion looks awesome. I have high hopes.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
erttheking said:
Nope, most likely an EXALT infiltrator with some genetic modifications.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Bindal said:
erttheking said:
Nope, most likely an EXALT infiltrator with some genetic modifications.
I suppose that's a possibility. It's just that I always thought that it would be the perfect WHAM moment in an X-COM game to have someone be a very good loyal ally then at the most crucial moment they spit poison out of their mouths at you.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Drummodino said:
Fuck the haters. This game is awesome, and this expansion looks awesome. I have high hopes.
Pretty much the same. The haters are clinging onto elements that distracted players from the core concept of XCOM, and the old Microprose title feels needlessly complex in the face of how gratifying EU can be.