PBS Game/Show: Can Permadeth Help You Be A Better Person?

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
PBS Game/Show: Can Permadeth Help You Be A Better Person?

What does death mean in videogames? It used to be about quarters, but now ...

Permadeath games like DayZ "are just about survival, and when you die, that's it," says PBS Game/Show host Jamin Warren, and that's a huge change from gaming's arcade days. But what does that mean for us, as people? Does permadeath have anything to teach the player? Yes, says PBS, because you never know whether you'll be alive tomorrow, and pretending it won't ever happen to you does you no favors. Take a look at the video, and wonder what you'll do on that day - it may not be far off - when your own mortality becomes a concrete, rather than abstract concept.

Denial has consequences. Death anxiety - the awareness, and fear of, your own impending doom - only increases over time, if you try to ignore it. Whereas accepting the idea of death can decrease depression, and encourage participation in more life-affirming activities. Plus, knowing your Diablo toon could vanish like a puff of smoke any second is a hell of a rush, keeping you focused on the present. It's odd to think that DayZ could be our version of ZombiU [http://www.pinterest.com/evileve2012/memento-mori-victorian-death-photos/] has a greater philosophical message hidden in its bug-out bag, but maybe PBS has a point: permadeath might have its uses, above and beyond game play.

Interested in more of these? Then check out the PBS YouTube channel [http://www.youtube.com/user/pbsgameshow?feature=watch].

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
If permadeath in games has ever taught me anything, it's to never trust your fellow man. Kill him before he kills you, then take his ammo and food and hide in the hills.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Zeren said:
If permadeath in games has ever taught me anything, it's to never trust your fellow man. Kill him before he kills you, then take his ammo and food and hide in the hills.
Pretty much this, I don't mind playing co-operatively on some games but Day Z is the type where I scrounge for ammo and food alone and avoid cities and any sign of human activity because I know I'll either get killed by a bunch of undead or humans.

Also Perma death doesn't really teach me anything new about my eventual death in real life since I'm rather accepting and already know I'm going to die eventually.

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
Permadeath teaches you how to face failure: by trying again until you get it right.

Captcha: "another castle" <- this guy gets it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
All permadeath games i have ever played fall in three categories:
1. everyone is so afraid to die that they run from eachother all the time before asking why.
2. everyone think the other person is evil and want to shoot first before he shot you.
3. rarely seen, only prominent in old games and usually in ones where it is hard and gridy to get stuff: a lot of peopel band together and try to kill everyone who so much as decides to touch another person (lynch mobs).

Shadow-Phoenix said:
Pretty much this, I don't mind playing co-operatively on some games but Day Z is the type where I scrounge for ammo and food alone and avoid cities and any sign of human activity because I know I'll either get killed by a bunch of undead or humans.
Funny stuff you can find in DayZ. i once entered a barn and started looting it when i head zombies start chasing another person. i was newly spawned and didnt even have a weapon yet, so i hid behind a crate. the new guy comes busting in, guns blazing, shotting the zombies, but there was so much of them he couldnt handle them. he litterary fought them off for 30 minutes or so, while i was looking in through a crack between crates. he never noticed me and died. i looted A LOT of stuff that day. just by being patient.