GameStop to Discount PS3 and Xbox 360 Systems This Month

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
GameStop to Discount PS3 and Xbox 360 Systems This Month

Behind the times? Don't worry, you can get a PS3 and Xbox 360 at a significantly lower price until Oct. 24.

Amidst all the buzz about new-gen consoles, some people may still be itching for a good time to buy a cheap current-gen console. From Oct. 11 to Oct. 24, GameStop will be selling any pre-owned PS3 systems for $150 and pre-owned original Xbox 360 systems for $100. The Xbox Slim 4GB model will also be discounted at $120.

In addition, anyone who takes advantage of the sale will receive a pre-owned game of their choosing priced less than $19.99 for free. Members of GameStop's PowerUp Rewards program have early access to the promotion and will be able to use the sale price starting today instead of tomorrow. PowerUp Rewards members will receive a 30% discount on all Xbox 360 and PS3 pre-owned accessories while PowerUp Rewards Pro members receive 40% off.

Apple fans can also buy a pre-owned Kindle Fire 8GB for $90 or a pre-owned iPod Nano Gen 5 starting at $40.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 still have a few years left in them before Sony and Microsoft pull the plug on them. For someone without a PS3 and/or Xbox 360 and uninterested in the PS4 and Xbox One, getting a used current-gen console for $100 is not bad at all. Many of the initial games on the Xbox One and PS4 are or will be released for the Xbox 360 and PS3. For example, the upcoming Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Watch Dogs, and Battlefield 4 will be PS3- and PS4-supported games.

The offer ends Oct. 24. The PS4 and Xbox One will both launch in November.

Source: GameStop [http://news.gamestop.com/press-release/exclusive-offers/gamestop-offers-hot-holiday-deals-october-cutting-prices-pre-owned-xb]

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
These deals would be a lot more tempting to people if both Microsoft and Sony hadn't already said that the next gen consoles are going to be able to play current console games through streaming services next year.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
"Apple fans can also buy a pre-owned Kindle Fire 8GB for $90"

Wut?

OT: This is actually awesome to hear, I know several people who were waiting for prices to drop so they could pickup a PS3.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
I'd really like to buy a new PS3 after I stupidly 'broke' it, but i'm not a fan of pre-owned systems because I treat my systems very well unlike some other people, like my brother. Not saying everyone treats them like crap like he does, but with my never buying anything from EB/Gamestop policy and the used thing i'm leery. Just that if they do this that means other places might drop their prices too

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
TiberiusEsuriens said:
These deals would be a lot more tempting to people if both Microsoft and Sony hadn't already said that the next gen consoles are going to be able to play current console games through streaming services next year.
That doesn't necessarily mean either service will be any good, or last more than a year, or be anything but vaporware.

Remember that both current gen consoles are or have been 'backwards compatible' and in neither has it proved to be a permanent and/or useful/properly implemented feature. These prce cuts look quite nice, if only they were on the proper 360 models and not the basic ones nobody wants.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Issurru said:
I'd really like to buy a new PS3 after I stupidly 'broke' it, but i'm not a fan of pre-owned systems because I treat my systems very well unlike some other people, like my brother. Not saying everyone treats them like crap like he does, but with my never buying anything from EB/Gamestop policy and the used thing i'm leery. Just that if they do this that means other places might drop their prices too
They're great, or that could just be any Gamestop I've ever been to when I go for consoles. I got my refurbished PS2 slim for $15 USD (2006-11) and my new 250GB PS3 from Gamestop for $36 USD (2011-) after trade-ins and its been awesome.

TiberiusEsuriens said:
My own experience has said the opposite, at least on Sony's end, I don't get Microsoft products. This article might help.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.830165-Sony-Says-PS3-Will-Last-Another-Couple-Years

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
Is it only used systems or are the new ones discounted as well? Cuz I'm not a big used system guy but if the cost is cut significantly on a new system I just might pick up a PS3.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
For anyone looking to buy a used 360 console, DON'T BE TRICKED INTO BUYING A CRAPPY XENON/ZEPHYR.

Look at this chart to see which motherboard the console will have:

Falcon's are good but the Jasper is what you you want if you can swing it. You can also tell it's a Jasper if it has 256 MB of internal memory in it. Or better yet, just get the stupid Slim model and ignore this issue altogether.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
TiberiusEsuriens said:
That doesn't necessarily mean either service will be any good, or last more than a year, or be anything but vaporware.

Remember that both current gen consoles are or have been 'backwards compatible' and in neither has it proved to be a permanent and/or useful/properly implemented feature. These prce cuts look quite nice, if only they were on the proper 360 models and not the basic ones nobody wants.
True, but as there are more and more games being made most people just play them once and forget. Out of all games I've owned over the last 20 years, I've only had a great desire to replay 3 or 4 different series, and they are all 5-10 years old.

Jimalcoatl

Jun 21, 2010
Yeah, this isn't news worthy. I can go get a used 250Gb Xbox at my local pawn retailer for $150 any time I want.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
it's definitely a sign of what Gamestop is expecting; they need to clear shelf space for the new boys so what better way than a big sale? Worked on me considering I was waiting for a good deal for a backwards compatible PS3

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Buy an old generation now cheaper with only 1 month till next gen comes! Yeah...no thanks.

I don't know who in their right mind will actually buy this since the people that are saving for the next gen already have either a x360 or a ps3 already.

wiiguy21

Jul 1, 2013
This reminds me, I should really get around to selling my old xbox 360 before it becomes completely worthless. If only I weren't so lazy...

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Might be worth it. Today I doubled my 360 library (from 2 to 4!) and have a slight itch to play them at some point in the future without using my sister's console.