Snow is a Free-to-Play Open World Winter Sports Game

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Snow is a Free-to-Play Open World Winter Sports Game

Snow is now available via Steam's early access program.

Snow has just appeared on Steam via its "early access" program, and it looks to be like a skiing/snowboarding fan's wet dream. Rather than the traditional "racing-game-on-skis" that most winter sports games like SSX are, Snow promises to be an open world free-to-play affair, letting players tackle the mountain in whatever way they see fit.

"Snow is currently in development by a small team of independent developers from Sweden. We are constantly working on the game to add new features, tweak existing features, and fix bugs. Our development is supported by you, our users, playing the game and providing us feedback through our discussion boards."

In Snow, players can freely explore a massive mountain environment on skis or snowboard - alone or with friends. Players may also take part in solo or multiplayer events and challenges and customize their character with over a dozen real world branded products.

People who ski or snowboard IRL will tell you the real thrill of the sport is going off-piste, finding a trail through the trees, or hitting up some pristine back country, and Snow looks like it satisfies that exploration itch. The game also looks absolutely gorgeous, and is sure to keep snow fans occupied during that long wait between seasons.

While the game will be free-to-play when it officially launches, to participate in the early access alpha, you'll have to purchase a "starter pack" for $14.99.

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/244930/]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I was going to check this out, but for 15 bucks I think I'll just wait until it's F2P at release and see if I actually like it before I consider purchases.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Free to play? In a competitive sports game? That's going to be made into a super-grind unless you pay for unlocks and premium equipment.

Am I still the only one a little tired of the free-to-play system?

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
I might take a look at this once it's F2P, but I'm not willing to pay 15$ for something which I will most likely play for an hour or so while enjoying the scenery and then go back to Dota 2 or something.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Sounds great to me. Some of my fondest gaming memories are of the free roam in SSX, I loved exploring every inch of the mountain in-between races. And zooming down a huge snowy mountain at full-speed is such an adrenaline rush, especially since I will never get to do it for real.

This is now on my watch-list.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Solo options?

I'm so trying this out when it comes out. My Attack3 joystick needs some love.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I'm curious as to how much the game is about racing/competing and how much is exploration. If I could play through the game totally solo and each area was full of interesting stuff I'd probably get the game, but since it's free-to-play I get the feeling that there will be one mountain for free any all of the decent ones will be £5 each. I would rather pay £20 and get everything in one game and have fun with it, but I'm not going to pay £12 to playtest an alpha build then have to pay for content on top of that on release. Might as well wait until it's finished and play it for free, hopefully without being pestered with microtransactions. 'Pay £1 to not be eaten by a bear'

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
This sounds cool. I'm dead serious that this actually sounds like a game I would play. I really like the SSX series and have been waiting for another good snowboarding/downhill slopes game to come out.

What concerns me is the "free to play" element. A completely free game does not exist. What will I eventually have to pay for?

I worry that I will download the game and be plonked into a snowy wonderland that looks absolutely amazing that I can walk around in for hours and admire the scenery. That sounds nice.

But what if I want to snowboard down a big hill and it says "To snowboard, you must unlock the snowboarding feature for $4.99 or walk around for another 5 hours."

So I just want to know, WHAT will I have to pay for eventually?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So I can get to experience snowboarding and skiing without expericence the freezing cold temperature? Awesome!

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
So I can get to experience snowboarding and skiing without expericence the freezing cold temperature? Awesome!
You can do that anyway. With half-way decent clothes it's not particularly cold up on the slopes (unless the weather is particularly bad in which case you can hit the restaurant or head back down).

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
I'm curious as to how much the game is about racing/competing and how much is exploration. If I could play through the game totally solo and each area was full of interesting stuff I'd probably get the game, but since it's free-to-play I get the feeling that there will be one mountain for free any all of the decent ones will be £5 each. I would rather pay £20 and get everything in one game and have fun with it, but I'm not going to pay £12 to playtest an alpha build then have to pay for content on top of that on release. Might as well wait until it's finished and play it for free, hopefully without being pestered with microtransactions. 'Pay £1 to not be eaten by a bear'
Judging by the trailer, it might be that they're covering most of their cost with sponsorship deals. You could imagine that if it's a success there's some value for the featured brands to be associated with it. Presumably a significant number of players will be winter sports enthusiasts IRL as well.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Flatfrog said:
CriticalMiss said:
Judging by the trailer, it might be that they're covering most of their cost with sponsorship deals. You could imagine that if it's a success there's some value for the featured brands to be associated with it. Presumably a significant number of players will be winter sports enthusiasts IRL as well.
Yeah, I thought that was kind of clever as it is unlikely that the clothes will have any kind of gameplay effects (unless body temperature is some kind of mechanic) and are purely cosmetic. But I'm worried that the F2P gremlins will snatch away some of the levels so that areas of the game become premium content or there will be some kind of charge to use ski-lifts.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
Sorry, but that gameplay and trailer makes it look like it's in the same vein as those shitty train/bus/farming simulators, just with way better graphics. Will have to wait and see.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
you know from the title I thought this was going to be a satirical post. Anyways on the subject of the actual game, its got some nice visuals. I'm actually really curious as to what happens when you get to the bottom of the mountain, being as it's an open world.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I got major Amped flashbacks from watching that trailer. Will totally have to give this a try when it comes out. Hopefully snowboarding will be a free option because I don't fancy having to bollocks about on skiis for ages to unlock it.