Iwata: Nintendo Isn't Afraid of Failure

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Iwata: Nintendo Isn't Afraid of Failure

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata doesn't fear failure - he sees it as an inevitable part of Nintendo's innovation.

With the costs of game development being what they are, it seems like the go-to strategy for most large companies is to take as few risks as possible. Well, Nintendo isn't most companies. Nintendo CEO and president Satoru Iwata says that failure is something that will always happen in the creative process, and he just has to accept that.

"When we talk about Nintendo we cannot ignore (former president) Hiroshi Yamauchi who just recently passed away," Iwata says. "He always said that if you have failure, you don't need to be too concerned. You always have good things and bad, and this reflects the history of Nintendo."

The attitude fits with Nintendo's design philosophy: while other competitors are racing to perfect very similar technologies, Nintendo is usually the odd one out, for better or worse. "If you do the same thing as others, it will wear you out," says Iwata. "Nintendo is not good at competing so we always have to challenge [the status quo] by making something new, rather than competing in an existing market.

Iwata cites the Pokemon franchise as an example of Nintendo making a strange call that paid off in the end. "Will America accept cute monsters? No, they said. Some people even recommended to make Pikachu more muscular. If we followed their advice Pokemon would never have been the success that it was."

It's hard to imagine Pokemon as anything but the runaway success it is now, but that just reinforces Iwata's trust in unconventional tactics. Nintendo's design decisions are largely hit or miss, but when they hit, they hit hard.

Source: Nintendo Everything [http://nintendoeverything.com/iwata-on-failure-doing-new-things-blue-ocean-strategy-challenges-pushing-pokemonbrain-age/]

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Inb4 Jeffers.

Anoni Mus said:
Well said. I didn't know that about Pokemon. While I don't particulary like Pikachu, I'm sure I don't want him to look like Marcus Fenix.

And God, I just love the Iwata picture with the bananas.
Well, surely you must have noticed that the little rodent has been losing weight over the years, right?

OT: Well said, Iwata, well fucking said. Sure, I'm sure people will bring up the "But they keep making Mario/Zelda/Pokemon games!" argument, but the fact is Nintendo has carved it's own niche in the market by doing it's own thing rather than trying to play copycat.

Edit:
Desert Punk said:
Isnt afraid of failure, but yses the same characters over and over and over again.

Sure.

Come on buddy, if you've played even a handful of their games you must know that simply using the same IP isn't the same making the same game. How exactly is Super Mario Party the same as Mario Kart, and how is that the same as Luigi's Mansion? And even then, installments of the 'same' game come about once or twice every generation at worst rather than yearly "No really this is an entirely different game from just a short while ago" installments like what everyone else in the market seems to do.
[/quote]
Eri said:
Is that why they made the Wii, the almost failest console of all time?

(inb4 people say because it made money it was a success despite failing in all other regards)
So it failed despite being the most successful console financially, but you're not going to bother to explain why? Um, okay then. So we're just supposed to take your word for it, then?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009

(inb4 people say because it made money it was a success despite failing in all other regards)

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Muscular Pikachu you say?

Well, it's awesome how Nintendo simply stuck with their guns and ran with it, instead of giving in to what's belived to be popular at the moment.

People will run here and start with "But they make Mario over and over, and over again!", I know of certain other companies that makes certain yearly games that are fairly similar to each other, and no, 50 gb of data doesn't count as "innovation".

Ninty has it's niche and that other franchise has it's (HUGE) niche, if people don't like 'em, there are many other options out there (like, literally thousands of different options).

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
Eri said:

This post makes my brain hurt. "Fail" in the sense of how the internet uses it is not the same as "failure."

Objectively, the Wii was the most successful console of the previous generation in spite of only having a relatively small selection of titles that were actually worthwhile. It is far from a failure.

Desert Punk said:
Isnt afraid of failure, but yses the same characters over and over and over again.

Sure.
How does that have anything to do with not being afraid of failure? Nintendo has its library of first person properties, sure. But each time they wheel one of those properties out they try something completely different and new within that framework.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
SupahGamuh said:
50 gb of data doesn't count as "innovation".
Pfft, yes it does. Just wait until Call of Duty: Encyclopedia Guntannia. 5000TB of modern literary shooter with totally sweet graphics brah!

It's weird hearing him say "Nintendo is not good at competing" when they have dominated the handheld gaming market for years. That's just the power of the pokeymans I guess.

bravetoaster

Oct 7, 2009
Cognimancer said:
Iwata cites the Pokemon franchise as an example of Nintendo making a strange call that paid off in the end. "Will America accept cute monsters? No, they said. Some people even recommended to make Pikachu more muscular. If we followed their advice Pokemon would never have been the success that it was."
He's claiming that someone genuinely thought cute sprites would be wildly unpopular with people? Is the "they" he's referencing beings that had never encountered humans and had no knowledge of video games, or does Iwata just hang out with lots of people who hate sprites and inexplicably lack human emotions and therefore do not enjoy cuteness?

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Desert Punk said:
Infernal Lawyer said:
Edit:
Desert Punk said:

Sure.
Fixed the youtube for you, cause you didnt do it right in the first time. :p

Also allow me to chuckle about you "calling" something when you post several minutes AFTER me?

Pickapok said:
How does that have anything to do with not being afraid of failure? Nintendo has its library of first person properties, sure. But each time they wheel one of those properties out they try something completely different and new within that framework.

You have to wonder how many of those would sink or swim if they didnt have random franchise #32 name attached to it though.
Nah, I fixed it myself. Figured it wasn't working, so I just posted it anyway and got tips somewhere else. Thanks anyway though.

And I don't blame you for not believing me. I should have added "ninja'd, but still fucking called it in my head" or something. I just noticed what you said after I posted my initial comment. Hence the 'edit'.

Oh, and I edited that post further, so would you like to answer that, please? :p

Edit: Cripes, I'm having a hard time making these damn things XD

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Anoni Mus said:
Desert Punk said:
Infernal Lawyer said:
Did you mean to quote me a second time in that other post, I didnt mention the Wii being a failure :p

And sure, the games are a bit different. But as I said, you have to wonder how many of those would fail completely if they didnt have Mario/Zelda/Whatever attached to it knowing that they will sell copies just because it has those characters attached to it.
And because they're good.

And why do you keep with that? There were Two Super Mario on Wii, 3 if you count NSMBW, it's not yearly releases, it's one of the reasons they can prolong the sagas.
It's actually kinda funny. There are more Call of Duty games on the Wii than Mario games. There's also the same amouny of Street Fighter IV games on PS3 and Xbox as the number of Mario games, yes 3 releases of Street Fighter IV.

Yes, Mario and Zelda have had a ton of releases, but they are also really old series. I don't think they are still around because they have a massive fan abse that buy all their games. A good deal of those who buy the games today are too young to have grown up with it and share fond memories of their first game being Super Mario. They may be recycling quite a bit, but there's few really innovative games even when we leave Nintendo. While it would be neat if game development would be at least a little bit innovative innovation for the sake of innovation isn't really a good thing.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
It's weird hearing him say "Nintendo is not good at competing" when they have dominated the handheld gaming market for years. That's just the power of the pokeymans I guess.
I think thats the idea-- really until the apple iphone, they weren't competing. Others were trying to compete, and doing a poor job of it.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Desert Punk said:
Infernal Lawyer said:
Did you mean to quote me a second time in that other post, I didnt mention the Wii being a failure :p

And sure, the games are a bit different. But as I said, you have to wonder how many of those would fail completely if they didnt have Mario/Zelda/Whatever attached to it knowing that they will sell copies just because it has those characters attached to it.
I can't really argue with that, even though I don't think it's THAT much of a bad thing as long as the game is still quality and you're not just slapping a well known image onto a mediocre or crappy game for easy sales (looking at you Call of Duty: Declassified, you piece of utter and complete garbage).

I recall reading somewhere about how Super Smash Bros actually started out as just having general faceless brawlers (or at least as late as the Alpha version) until someone came up with the idea of asking Nintendo if they could use their characters, so I guess there's that (IF I'm not just talking out of my ass). Again though, if the game is worth playing and not just a cheap cash cow, using well known IP's to secure interest in it isn't a bad thing... and then there's the whole "innovation for it's own sake is bad" argument, but I digress.

I suppose I agree with you more or less, anyway, even if I don't see a problem with how Nintendo does it per say... for now :p

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Desert Punk said:
Infernal Lawyer said:

Because Star Fox Adventures, Mario Sunshine, Metroid: Other M, and Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker are great examples of games that the brand name did not equal sales. Wind Waker is the most under rated of the list too.