"Weapon Wheel" Mechanic Returns in Burial at Sea.

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
"Weapon Wheel" Mechanic Returns in Burial at Sea.

The gun selection system from the first two Bioshock games is back for Bioshock Infinite's upcoming DLC.

Undersea dystopia Rapture won't be the only element returning to the Bioshock franchise with the upcoming Burial at Sea episodes. In a recent Reddit AMA, level designer Andres Gonzalez revealed the reintroduction of the weapon wheel, along with plans for other new features. "I can tell you that for Burial at Sea: Episode 1 we added new weapon, a new Plasmid, new Gear, Tears and we brought back the weapon wheel," he said.

Bioshock and Bioshock 2 both made use of the weapon wheel to allow players to pause the game and select from one of several different guns stockpiled in their inventory. Bioshock Infinite changed the formula by only allowing players to carry two guns at a time. Gonzalez was joined in the AMA by series creator Ken Levine, and you can learn some more details about the game from his answers <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128531-Ken-Levine-AMA-Drops-Burial-At-Sea-Hints>here. While a concrete release date has not yet been set for the first of Burial at Sea's two episodes, Levine said he expected it to be out "before the holidays and hopefully fairly soon."

Source: Joystiq

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Good. The two-weapon limit in Infinite was atrocious. Honestly, any game that has both sniper weapons and heavy weapons ought to have at least three slots.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Callate said:
Good. The two-weapon limit in Infinite was atrocious. Honestly, any game that has both sniper weapons and heavy weapons ought to have at least three slots.
I was pissed that they had double the weapons in Ifinite, not because they had nearly double the weapons, but because they decided that both groups get their own versions of the fucking SMG and shit...

Seriously, I could justify dropping the Vox weapons in exchange for a weapon wheel.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Upgrading the pistol in infinite was a pure waste of time; not because it was weak but because you kept running out of ammo because barely any enemy later on uses the pistol anymore which also means you'll probably not get the pistol again for a long time if you exchange it for another shooter while drowning in machineguns, revolvers and shotguns.
Keeping weapons is the better system, especially if you dump cash into upgrades and such.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Thank. Freaking. Buddha. I have no idea why Infinite got rid of the weapon wheel, especially since so many of the weapons kind of just blurred together.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
This is wonderful news, I just hope someone could mod Bioshock Infinite so that it would have a weapon wheel. The reason I didn't play Infinite is because I got very frustrtated having to throw away a weapon I had spent resources upgrading and that the gameplay was so monotonous because I couldn't pick out the right weapon for each situation.

Luckily I didn't pay for the game (borrowed it), this would have been one of those games where I read rave reviews, then go out and buy it and the feel cheated when there is some crippling problem that nobody else seems to care about :/

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sounds good. even when i mainly used one gun (the rifle), a third one would have been useful as well to carry at least a big gun like the rocket launcher for the bigger once.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
loa said:
Upgrading the pistol in infinite was a pure waste of time; not because it was weak but because you kept running out of ammo because barely any enemy later on uses the pistol anymore which also means you'll probably not get the pistol again for a long time if you exchange it for another shooter while drowning in machineguns, revolvers and shotguns.
Keeping weapons is the better system, especially if you dump cash into upgrades and such.
There are ammo machines absolutely everywhere though so just buy the ammo if you really like a certain gun.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
If they get rid of the horrible ressurection system, i might consider giving this a shot. A weapon wheel is defineately an improvement over Infinite, though i don't think it would fix anything. My biggest problem was that the game badically forces you to play on an annoyingly hard difficulty setting if you want death to hold any meaning, and even there you are swimming in cash. So you can choose between the game being boring and easy or annoying and hard. Guess that says something about the games design^^.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
This can only be a positive thing, the Modern Shooter Two Weapon limit was atrocious. Hopefully the gunplay won't be boring like it is in the main game, and perhaps ammo could be more scarce like in 1 (and 2, I think).

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
And the challenging aspect of the game gets thrown out the window. Honestly I didn't think that two weapons was so much of hassle, but whateve's, it'll just be even piss easier now.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
WanderingFool said:
I was pissed that they had double the weapons in Ifinite, not because they had nearly double the weapons, but because they decided that both groups get their own versions of the fucking SMG and shit...

Seriously, I could justify dropping the Vox weapons in exchange for a weapon wheel.
The worst thing about this was the way upgrades only apply to one specific weapon.

So if you spend all your money on upgrading a particular weapon, and then later you decide to switch to the Vox version of that weapon, you have to purchase the upgrades all over again, or simply use the weapon non-upgraded.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
MrHide-Patten said:
And the challenging aspect of the game gets thrown out the window. Honestly I didn't think that two weapons was so much of hassle, but whateve's, it'll just be even piss easier now.
Inconvenient = challenging?

I dunno how other people played the game, but I always like to carry a weapon for long range encounters (eg; sniper rifle), an explosive weapon for crowd control (eg; RPG), and a multi-purpose weapon for situations where a sniper rifle or RPG is unsuitable (eg; pistol, SMG, etc).
But of course, the two-weapon limit restricted my ability to play like this.

It didn't make the game more "challenging". It simply made it more inconvenient.