Portal Fan Film Visits GLaDOS's Origins

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Portal Fan Film Visits GLaDOS's Origins

Portal's setting wasn't always so desolate - ever wonder what Aperture Science was like before all the murder and neurotoxin?

The Portal series has spent two games inside the Aperture Science Enrichment Center, but the facility's history is still full of intrigue. We learned in Portal 2 how the insane GLaDOS came to be, though aside from a couple throwaway lines, her takeover of the research facility hasn't been explored very much. Now we have a little more for fans to dig into - it's far from canon, but a new live-action fan film is showing us what GLaDOS's early days might have looked like.

The short film, titled Portal: Survive!, was directed by Colin and Connor McGuire on a budget of only $500 over six months. That said, it doesn't feel cheap. The visual effects are well-done, and most of the video's spoken lines come straight from the game's audio files (you won't hear any cheesy GLaDOS impersonations).

The video's plot won't surprise anybody at this point - we see familiar faces like Chell, Doug "Ratman" Rattmann, and of course GLaDOS herself. The acting (or in GLaDOS's case, the prop puppetry) isn't notable but really isn't bad for the shoestring budget.

There's certainly something about Valve's games that inspires talented fans to go out and make really cool videos. This is far from the first Portal fan film, and I've got a hunch it won't be the last.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x2l0NgSvyM]

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Okay, I'll be honest: that was the best live-action Portal fan video I've ever seen. Just watching this makes me imagine how J.J. Abrams can actually pull off a Portal adaptation. It didn't match the game's canon 100%, but the tone was spot on.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Ldude893 said:
Just watching this makes me imagine how J.J. Abrams can actually pull off a Portal adaptation. It didn't match the game's canon 100%, but the tone was spot on.
...That's usually what happens when you adapt something from one form to another. Only in keeping the foundation of the original concept is what a good adaptation makes.

Also, I wouldn't want Abrams anywhere near Portal. Edgar Wright, on the other hand...

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Appropriation of game audio? Fine. Misuse of the term "core corruption"? Unacceptable. 7.5/10

P.S. Thanks