Retired League of Legends Skins Will be Made Available Again

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Retired League of Legends Skins Will be Made Available Again

Miss out on some of the limited edition League of Legends skins from past events? Soon, you'll have another chance to pick them up.

During special events from December 2009 through October 2011 (such as Halloween and Christmas), Riot released 34 League of Legends skins for a limited time and communicated they wouldn't come back into the store. The "conundrum" the company is facing is that the playerbase has grown exponentially since then, and these skins have become rarer than hen's teeth. Because of this, Riot has decided to make these retired skins available once again during the following months:

Harrowing 2010 & 2011 skins during October 2013
Snowdown Showdown 2009 & 2010 skins during December 2013
Winter Games 2010 skins during February 2014
World Cup 2010 skins during June 2014

For those of you dedicated few who bought these skins when they were first made available, don't worry, Riot plans to compensate you for your skin's drop in rarity. Owners of these 34 skins will receive RP equal to the price they paid for the skin, "Vintage treatment" in the loading screen whenever they use the skin, and a special summoner icon.

Going forward these 34 skins will be considered Legacy skins, and may on rare occasion also come back for future events without additional compensation. Riot has no plans to bring back any of the earned Limited Edition skins that were rewarded for events or achievements and never appeared in the store (such as UFO Corki).

To put into perspective just how rare these skins are, The most common, Bewitching Nidalee, appears once every 971 games in NA, while the least common, Ice Toboggan Corki, appears once every 116,586 games in NA.

Additionally, Riot revealed that they would be taking part in a Reddit AMA on Tuesday October 15, at 12pm Pacific Time, if you have any further questions.

Source: League of Legends [http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/store/sales/plan-vintage-limited-edition-skins]

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Spud of Doom said:
People with those old skins are gonna be pissed
they're getting refunds for their RP and some mark on the loading screen. That should be way more then enough compensation.

OT

Zombie Ryze! Zombie Ryze! Zombie Ryze! Zombie Ryze! Zombie Ryze! Zombie Ryze! Zombie Ryze! Zombie Ryze! Zombie Ryze! *runs to get his credit card squealing with joy* Zombie Ryze! Zombie Ryze! Zombie Ryze! Zombie Ryze! Zombie Ryze! Zombie Ryze! Zombie Ryze!

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
*checks list*

I'll be the son of a gun, i actually got one of these skins, pumpkinhead fiddle (bought cos it reminded me of jack skellingtons starting costume in nightmare before christmas and i LOVE that film)! Didnt realize the skin is rare, no wonder people are quick to diss me when i play fiddle and utterly suck xD

Dont see any alistair skin or for any other champ i "main" so just gonna welcome the free rp.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
oh no. not this, not here...the shitstorm has died down on the LoL forums, and now this topic pops up here.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/5750046976/h6A78FD43/

Also since I'm a pedantic loon, lying implies they planned to re-release these 4 years ago. Please don't use the term 'lied' when there are plenty of other appropriate words.

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
It's just too bad that Firefighter Tristana won't be available; that's the one I really want. But Earnest Elf Tristana is there so I'm happy.

And I might have to buy Vladimir just for this sale, because Nosferatu Vlad has to be one of the coolest skins in the game.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I may just get the Kitty Kat Kat skin if it comes up and probably nothing else. I already have High Command and Christmas Slag Katarina but whatever. I don't play half that Champion list and I probably already have a skin for the others.

Oh and there's a conspicuous lack of EU examples on that Riot post. I suppose they didn't want to count the skins for fear of crashing EU West. Again. Obviously they can't release a new Champion without breaking EU West for a week, it's like a tradition now.

That or racism. Unsurprising from a company who releases the first unambiguously black Champion with a skin that makes him not black.

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
I own two of these: Union Jack Fiddlesticks and Striker Akali. To be completely honest, I'm pretty fine with this. I loved those skins when I got them and I loved them more because it showed I was a veteran. It was a badge of honor that made me feel like I was proving I was here for a while. When people first suggested re-adding the skins I didn't like the idea because I felt like that feeling of honor would be lost, but the inclusion of a vintage version and an icon makes up for that perfectly. I can show that I'm an oldie, I get RP, and everyone else can enjoy the skins too.

Win-win.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Thought I was getting some free RP, then I read again and Harrowing 2012 skins don't count.
Now I'm sad.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Eh, just got into League. Honestly, I like the default skins, although some of the newer skins I've seen do look pretty nice.

r0seyp0m

Oct 11, 2012
I sometimes wonder if these skins are rare because they were only available for short periods of time years ago....or if just nobody uses them anymore because most of them are kind of ugly by todays standards.