Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX Launches Globally in 2014

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX Launches Globally in 2014

<youtube=HAjibyskPas>​
The HD compilation includes remastered cinematics and debuts Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix and Birth by Sleep Final Mix for the west.

Square Enix announced it will launch Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX, the follow-up to 1.5 ReMIX, globally in 2014 for PS3, including content exclusive to Japan previously. Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix and Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix were both games confined to Japan, released on the PS2 and PSP, respectively. Kingdom Hearts Re:coded also has an HD remaster for all cut scenes.

Square Enix pushed its graphics for important cut scenes in Kingdom Hearts II, and the graphics of Birth by Sleep were beautiful but on the much smaller screen of the PSP. With both now on the PS3 with even better graphics and on a larger screen, it will be interesting to see the difference in visuals from PS2 to HD on the PS3.

2.5 ReMIX also adds new difficulty modes, new cutscenes, extra battles with Organization XIII, and a playable fight between Sora and Roxas. Birth by Sleep, featuring the trio of Aqua, Terra, and Ventus, adds a Rhythm Mixer command style and more bosses. 2.5 ReMIX will be a good refresher -- along with added content - for the long-awaited Kingdom Hearts III (still with no new details on it), but the 3DS title Dream Drop Distance is also important to the complicated story of the series.

"Kingdom Hearts has sold more than 20 million units worldwide," the company stated in a PlayStation blog post. 1.5 ReMIX, including Kingdom Hearts Final Mix and Re:Chain of Memories, launched in September in NA and Europe.

Source: Siliconera [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/14/kingdom-hearts-hd-2-5-remix-coming-to-ps3-in-2014/]

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Yiss. This pleases me greatly. Though the announcement is hardly surprising.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I can't say I'm not disappointed that Dream Drop Distance didn't make the cut, but I understand why (what with the game being fairly recent and still totally being for sale on 3DS right now). I imagine it'll make it into HD 3.5 ReMIX eventually.

P.S. Thanks

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
Yes, YES!!! never got a chance to play BBS so this will be awesome. I knew this collection was coming (and I had a feeling it would be set up the way it is now) but I did not expect it to be announced so soon. Now I just need a 3ds and Ill be set.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
chuckey said:
Yes, YES!!! never got a chance to play BBS so this will be awesome. I knew this collection was coming (and I had a feeling it would be set up the way it is now) but I did not expect it to be announced so soon. Now I just need a 3ds and Ill be set.
If you haven't played Birth by Sleep, you're missing out. The three-character story format makes for some of the most well-paced storytelling I've seen (like what Arrested Development attempted in season 4, only done correctly), and the combat is the deepest its been so far in the series (with the possible exception of Chain of Memories, though your mileage may vary). The game is far less button-mashey than most of the series, putting a strong emphasis on smart use of guarding and dodging, with attacking almost being secondary (but not quite).

I haven't played Dream Drop Distance, but I've heard it builds on Birth by Sleep's combat, which is a very good thing.

P.S. Thanks

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
YES. I never owned a PSP, so I'm greatly looking forward to being able to play it (especially the Final Mix version).

Also, KH II FM had a ton of new boss battles, as well as a harder difficulty setting, so YAY!

All I need now is KH3 and a cel-shaded remake of Majora's Mask, and I can die a happy gamer.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I knew this was going to happen, but I'm still excited as all fuck. KH2 was much better than the original and I never got a chance to play Birth By Sleep. As for Re:coded getting the cutscene only treatment I guess it would provide something better to watch than 3 hours of people sitting on a clock tower eating ice cream.

mixadj

Oct 23, 2010
Birth by sleep is the only game that looks interesting to me as my PSP died before it came out. It also seems to look better than the other games in terms of graphical fidelity. Also, what is wrong with these remixes? If that trailer is supposed to have real time graphics from remastered KHII I will stick with emulation. I can run KHII at 3x original resolution on an old low speed first gen phenom and it looks a heck of a lot better than that.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Yesssss! I've always wanted to play Kingdom Hearts II final mix. Though it would've been awesome if they just made a huge Kingdom Hearts collection that had all the final mix extras in all the games. Though this is Square Enix we are talking about, they wouldn't miss an opportunity to sell two collectors editions.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
My only gripe with this. The Re:Coded cutscenes. Why? That is the lest interesting part of that game. The story doesn't matter in it. The only good thing about the game was its gameplay, which was pretty damn good and the best in the series. Why would you only include the objectively worst part about the game?

Oh, and also, I take this to mean we'll see Kingdom Hearts 3 in about 2015 or 16. Why, you might ask, would it be those years? I will tell you why random guy who actually read my comment. Because since the creation of the series, there have only been two years without a Kingdom Hearts release of some kind, and with all having been remixed or whatever, the only thing they could release at that point would be 3. Or a shitty mobile game, but they already did that this year, so that's that(or was it a browser game?). So, unless they want to break with their current tradition, they have to have it out by 2016. I know that's extremely lame, as the series started 14 years before that, but hey, it's sooner than we'll probably see Half-Life 3 or The Last Guardian.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
We all pretty much called that this was going to happen, but its still exciting nonetheless. KH2 Final Mix? BBS in HD? Both together?! Yes please! I would LOVE for them to add some stuff (besides the HD I mean), but something tells me they won't. I can already see some of the trophies for 2.5 to be real annoying, but at least the Gummi Ship sections for 2 are SO much better than in 1. This is the collection I've been waiting for, as I LOVED BBS. Put over 100 hours into it (silly me playing on normal, having to 100% everything for every character for the secret ending. God damn Command Board man.), and will gladly do so again!

I am interested to see what they will do with Dream Drop Distance. Release it as a standalone in HD like Resident Evil Revelations? I guess that's possible, and the price wouldn't be bad provided they could work around everything that used the bottom screen for the DS. It would be the only main title to not get a Final Mix, so if they want to make one, it would probably be their best chance. 2014 for 2.5, 2015 for DDD HD, then 2016 for KH3? Doesn't sound too far fetched, although KH3 by 2015 and no DDD HD is the most likely scenario I guess.

Either way, I will buy this day one.

T-Shirt Turtle said:
I knew this was going to happen, but I'm still excited as all fuck. KH2 was much better than the original and I never got a chance to play Birth By Sleep. As for Re:coded getting the cutscene only treatment I guess it would provide something better to watch than 3 hours of people sitting on a clock tower eating ice cream.
You would think so, but Re:coded's story is...well, there is a reason so many people like to ignore that game entirely. But who knows, maybe SE can actually make it not be so bad (and it CERTAINLY wouldn't be 3 hours. I couldn't see it going over 1 at the very most.).

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Jesus.. That title. Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX. Whats next? Kindgom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX: Revelations Re-incarnated? Damn.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Give it to me now! Finally I get the chance to play BBS and in HD! My body is ready.

unstabLized said:
Jesus.. That title. Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX. Whats next? Kindgom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX: Revelations Re-incarnated? Damn.
To be fair the first collection was called Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX. So at least they're consistent.