Amazing Spider-Man 2 Game On Its Way, Due Spring 2014

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Amazing Spider-Man 2 Game On Its Way, Due Spring 2014

How would you like to be a reporter, Peter?

The Amazing Spider-Man 2, a movie tie-in and a sequel to the 2012 movie tie-in game, The Amazing Spider-Man, is due to hit store shelves in Spring 2014. Probably before the movie comes out in May, says Marvel's Chris Baker, who made the announcement at New York Comic Con. While the game has no direct connection with the movie - apart from being a movie tie-in, of course - Baker says it will take "some key moments that happen in the second film" and use them, no doubt for sinister intent.

Manhattan will get a whole lot bigger, and there will be some light RPG elements, including a few scenes with Peter Parker as a reporter doing reporter-type stuff. "You are Spider-Man for a vast majority of the game though," Baker says, as if to ward off suggestions that Parker will pull a Batman and investigate, rather than spray schmutz everywhere, punch villains, and indulge in the occasional bon mot. Hopefully you won't just press X to file copy.

But webs! Webs are key. "Webs are a big part of Spider-Man, so the cool things we're doing differently this time is that we have different types of webbing," says Baker. "We have your typical impact webbing, your regular vanilla webbing. We are also going to have cryo-webbing. It sort of adds an RPG-like element." So ... you level up your webs? Maybe? But at least they'll attach to buildings now, Baker promises, and because Manhattan's so much bigger and more detailed, there will be plenty of things to discover and places to explore, as you web-sling your way about town.

This one's for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and Windows PC, when it finally debuts.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/12/4831670/spider-man-2-expands-manhattan-improves-web-slinging]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I'm always up for a Spider-man game. Hopefully it will be better than the last one. Activision should let Treyarch make another Web of Shadows. That game was awesome.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
I'm always up for a Spider-man game. Hopefully it will be better than the last one. Activision should let Treyarch make another Web of Shadows. That game was awesome.
I never realized how horribly nostalgic I was for Spiderman 2 until I decided to play through all the Spiderman games I could get my hands on. Apparently I hadn't played the game for 7 years. Hated pretty much every minute of it. The webswinging was the only thing worth of note. Played Web of Shadows right after that and fell in love with it. Aside from the webswinging, everything was just objectively better about it. It's also cool how it came out before Prototype, a game with pretty much the same premise, and still looked much better.

Anyhow, I hope that is just an early build of the game and that it won't look that terrible. I do however love the design of Spiderman. It looks like they've decided not to try and look like the movie this time and went with a true friendly neighborhood look. I approve.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
NathLines said:
Adam Jensen said:
I never realized how horribly nostalgic I was for Spiderman 2 until I decided to play through all the Spiderman games I could get my hands on. Apparently I hadn't played the game for 7 years. Hated pretty much every minute of it. The webswinging was the only thing worth of note. Played Web of Shadows right after that and fell in love with it. Aside from the webswinging, everything was just objectively better about it. It's also cool how it came out before Prototype, a game with pretty much the same premise, and still looked much better.

Anyhow, I hope that is just an early build of the game and that it won't look that terrible. I do however love the design of Spiderman. It looks like they've decided not to try and look like the movie this time and went with a true friendly neighborhood look. I approve.
Actually, that is what he looks like in the movie. They changed the suit, and oh my God is it gorgeous.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
So, when are we getting a decent Spider-man game?

Cause y'know, Spidey 2 was a while ago and Web of Shadows was average at best yet still better than all the other shit that has been released.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Still a bit too early to tell how it looks...but hey, how about that level-up webbing and, reporting stuff huh? Ya know what would be neat? Using your reporting skills to scope out ledges and whatnot...no now that I type that it sounds dumb but ya know what would be really cool: realistic web-slinging, what with inertia and, momentum and whatnot. If only there was a Spider-Man game that had that.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Considering that this is a movie tie-in game and that it's probably going to be hastily developed so that it'll coincide with the film's released, I'm expecting this game to get a 5/10 rating or less.

On a somewhat related note, contrary to some opinions I thought The Amazing Spiderman was great. Peter Parker was actually funny this time around, and his girlfriend was much more intelligent than Mary Jane from the first film trilogy. The Lizard was a mediocre villain but it's still fun to watch him duking out against Spidey. I'm actually eager for the sequel.

Regless

Jul 28, 2012
@Mr Ink: Why? I can understand if you want to see some movie tie ins but Sony brought us the Spec spidey, the first 3 spider movies and now this new batch. Marvel lately has me hoping Sony holds onto Spiderman for a while longer yet.

Ldude893: I agree. Some odd plot liberties in the writing but Garfield and Stone were so much better than Tobey and Dunst I was able to get over it.

Dec 16, 2009
Regless said:
@Mr Ink: Why? I can understand if you want to see some movie tie ins but Sony brought us the Spec spidey, the first 3 spider movies and now this new batch. Marvel lately has me hoping Sony holds onto Spiderman for a while longer yet.
Because the first two Tobey Maguire films loved them, for me Spidey has gone donehill from there. may as well bring him into the fold. If they did, i just hope Marvel can avoid a 3rd spidey origin story. Hated nearly every min of the newest incarnation.

EDIT: I'd like to add that Parker is meant to be a geeky outcast type, not a brooding cool kid
unles he gets avenom suit n goes emo. yuk the third film