NYCC 2013: Playing Pretend with South Park: The Stick of Truth

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
NYCC 2013: Playing Pretend with South Park: The Stick of Truth

When you were a kid, anything was possible. An empty refrigerator box could be a racecar, or a castle, or a secret hideout. Those plastic replicas of swords and shields your mom got at Toys R Us? Totally real, deadly medieval weapons. The only real limit to your play sessions was your imagination--and the kids of South Park, Colorado have more than enough to power the upcoming role-playing game The Stick of Truth. With a mix of familiar and fantasy-based environments and weapons, plus the show's trademark foul language and potty humor, South Park: The Stick of Truth brings the animated series to life in a whole new way.

The hands-off The Stick of Truth presentation at New York Comic Con started off with a cutscene that looked exactly like the long-running show. Everything was right: the voices, the animation, the dialogue. In the role-playing game, the player takes the role of the new kid, who in this demo looked like a generic South Park Elementary School kid. You'll join Cartman, Butters, and other familiar faces on an epic adventure around the suburban Colorado neighborhood, with characters dressed up to look like mages, elves, and archers. If the kids break the illusion--like, say, by mentioning Twitter--Cartman is quick to correct them.

[gallery=1819]

The elements of make-believe were present throughout the demo; a living room had been transformed into a stereotypical RPG tavern, complete with a bartender from whom the party needed to get information. Running into a seemingly innocent bard (Jimmy) in the basement, the party discovered that they had actually stumbled into a trap, and it was time for battle. As Jimmy the Bard sang in the background, powering up his troops, the new kid used the environment to his advantage by knocking down a lantern and using his own flatulence to light his foes on fire. A mix of poop-related and weapon-based attacks brought the battle to a quick end, with Cartman dramatically using ketchup packets to emulate blood coming to his mouth.

The shortness of the demo left me wanting more--mostly, a chance to play it myself and get a chance to test out The Stick of Truth's turn-based RPG combat. What little of the game I saw did impress me, though. Not just because it appears to be a really great representation of the show, which it is, but because it absolutely nailed the magical feeling of playing make-believe. Even with Cartman's foul mouth, character names like Sir Douchebag, and attacks like "Shit Nugget" (it's exactly what it sounds like), The Stick of Truth manages to be charming in a way. The balance between adult-appropriate humor and childlike innocence has kept the animated show on the air for 16 years; I'm hoping that when RPG gameplay is thrown into the mix, the result is a compelling, entertaining game.

South Park: The Stick of Truth launches on December 10 in North America for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
That Annoying Guy said:
Well at least we've finally got a solid release date.
We had a solid release date when THQ went bankrupt. Then Ubisoft bought it up and pushed back the release date so they could tear out content for DLC and cram the game's orifices with Uplay.

Much as I've wanted to play this game, I will not give Ubisoft my money; not after they went and put the always online back into From Dust.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
KeyMaster45 said:
That Annoying Guy said:
We had a solid release date when THQ went bankrupt. Then Ubisoft bought it up and pushed back the release date so they could tear out content for DLC and cram the game's orifices with Uplay.

Much as I've wanted to play this game, I will not give Ubisoft my money; not after they went and put the always online back into From Dust.
Wait, is it confirmed that you need Uplay to play the game? If so then it's off my Steam wishlist. So far the only bad thing I've heard about the game is that Ubisoft are involved.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
KeyMaster45 said:
That Annoying Guy said:

Wait, is it confirmed that you need Uplay to play the game? If so then it's off my Steam wishlist. So far the only bad thing I've heard about the game is that Ubisoft are involved.
No, but at this point it can be expected Uplay will be hanging off any game published by Ubisoft like a cancerous growth.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
yeah, considering that ubisoft makes it a habit of pretending it's not going to delay the pc release up until they have to say it

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440438

we've got roughly equal odds of the game not being uplay and hell freezing over

the only worse possible publisher that could have picked this up was capcom

i'm starting to resent properties being bought out in fire sales since atlus went to "that company that owns sega"

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
You could always pirate the game and them mail Obsidian $60 USD in cash?

Or not because Ubisoft would bend that backwards into an excuse to avoid PC releases.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
I haven't bought a game on release day since Arkham City 2 years ago, but I'm so excited for this game I'll be getting it day one for sure.

That Annoying Guy

Feb 21, 2012
KeyMaster45 said:
That Annoying Guy said:
If you asked any game retailer, EB Games, Gamestop, etc. they would've had it in their computers that the game was scheduled to release on December 31st thus having no actual release date; at least up until recently. Though if Ubisoft is doing what you claim with the Uplay and DLC, well then fuck it.