Pokemon X and Y Review - Catch 'Em All Again

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Pokemon X and Y Review - Catch 'Em All Again

Our review of the Pokemon world's big step into 3D.

Read Full Article

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
the strangest part of this experience so far is doing all of this pretty much globally blind, to the point where we're just making a mad scramble to figure out how to build our pokemon

at least they included the reset punching bags for stat training purposes

loa

Jan 28, 2012
it's the weird dance of 1 step forward, 2 steps backwards all over again but this time, they made more steps forward than backwards.
I don't understand how team pokemon seems to have such a hard time to get a freaking menu right.
There's just no excuse for having menus freeze the game up nowadays but they topped it by requiring wireless connection enabled in order to utilize a mostly single player feature hidden behind 2 menu points.

Also you can finally -FINALLY- pick a language but you can only do so once. WHY?!

Good game though.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Not really sold on the pokemon amie thing or the super training dealy.
They're not too bad, and the training thing is nice to see your effort stats or whatever you pokemon players call it.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Weaver said:
They're not too bad, and the training thing is nice to see your effort stats or whatever you pokemon players call it.
You get an experience bonus the more your pokemon likes you in that amie thing.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Weaver said:
loa said:
Experience bonus, higher chance of critical hits, a chance at surviving knockout attacks... pretty good benefits to stuffing its face for two minutes a day.

http://www.serebii.net/xy/pokemonamie.shtml

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
Is the plot still the same story telling.

player goes to mom
player heads to "insert" lab
player joins with professor "insert name" here
player has 1 (sometimes 2) rival to get one of 3 (fire, water, grass) the ususal happens
player wants to get 8 gym badges then go up to elite four then go on to champ.
player goes against team (insert name here) who want to do something. (from what i hear its no difference)

Oh i can make a list! but lets say did any of these story change a lot.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
I don't think I need more reviews. Looking at the screenshots, I can barely hold my wallet from going open and getting the game for me. Literally. I mean, it even grew legs. Is that right?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Loop Stricken said:
Experience bonus, higher chance of critical hits, a chance at surviving knockout attacks... pretty good benefits to stuffing its face for two minutes a day.

Oh dear, the rngs.
Does that kinda stuff also apply to pvp?
Cause the last thing I know is that people hate themselves some evasion rates and such.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
alik44 said:

player goes to mom
player has 1 (sometimes 2) rival to get one of 3 (fire, water, grass) the ususal happens
player goes against team (insert name here) who want to do something. (from what i hear its no difference)

The story hasn't changed dramatically. It's slightly different insofar as you get 2 starters (one of the new ones and one of the original trio (or just Charmander, cuz who is dumb enough to get either of the other two)) and it's spaced out a bit differently, but the overall story is pretty much the same.

The new team of bad guys is Team Flare this time around, and they're fabulous (and yes, I do mean to convey that with the stereotypical Big Gay Al lisp).

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Loop Stricken said:

Does it really only take two minutes a day? I tried it for a bit but it seemed like everything I did was cancelled out within five minutes.

Granted, I did tease little Chespin by holding the poffin thing just out of his reach and I did "accidentally" poke him in the eye a few times, but still...

Raine_sage

Sep 13, 2011
BanicRhys said:
Loop Stricken said:

Does it really only take two minutes a day? I tried it for a bit but it seemed like everything I did was cancelled out within five minutes.

Granted, I did tease little Chespin by holding the poffin thing just out of his reach and I did "accidentally" poke him in the eye a few times, but still...
You play the minigames to reset the number of times you can interact with your mons.

So the pattern for those trying to speed bond goes like this: 4 cakes, pet until hearts stop appearing, play a game, repeat. Affection should max after 20-30 minutes if you have the high quality cakes.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Raine_sage said:
BanicRhys said:
Loop Stricken said:

You play the minigames to reset the number of times you can interact with your mons.

So the pattern for those trying to speed bond goes like this: 4 cakes, pet until hearts stop appearing, play a game, repeat. Affection should max after 20-30 minutes if you have the high quality cakes.
Reminds me of pokeawesome, where we just stuff pokemon full of poffins instead of real food... And somehow they like that? Seems off to me.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
alik44 said:

player goes to mom

Mom tells you to get your ass outside and go play with your friends essentially.
You get your pokemon thanks to your friends giving you one as a gift.
You meet the professor later in the game who gives you a kanto starter.
4 rivals
Player is just travelling with his friends, rivaling his neighbor selena.
Flare wants to literally drain the life force of all pokemon in order to use that stored life energy to incinerate the entire world in cataclysmic blasts so only "beauty" remains from the ashes of corruption.

So yeah... things do change, it's a very VERY good game.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
Weaver said:
loa said:

My gripe is it takes a lot longer than two minutes for all 6 of your pokemon.
I wanted to play Pokemon, not some berry matching mini game.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Weaver said:
Loop Stricken said:
Weaver said:
loa said:

My gripe is it takes a lot longer than two minutes for all 6 of your pokemon.
I wanted to play Pokemon, not some berry matching mini game.
I like the picture puzzle one, personally.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Agayek said:
alik44 said:

player goes to mom

(one of the new ones and one of the original trio (or just Charmander, cuz who is dumb enough to get either of the other two))
I picked Squirtle...Blastoise's Mega Evo is literally a tank... so you can have your shinier Dragon, while i blast it of the sky ;)

OT: Loving the game so far, seems it will have a lot more replayability post-game, which BW/BW2 was pretty lacking in.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
Agayek said:
The story hasn't changed dramatically. It's slightly different insofar as you get 2 starters (one of the new ones and one of the original trio (or just Charmander, cuz who is dumb enough to get either of the other two)) and it's spaced out a bit differently, but the overall story is pretty much the same.

The new team of bad guys is Team Flare this time around, and they're fabulous (and yes, I do mean to convey that with the stereotypical Big Gay Al lisp).

CharrHearted said:
Mom tells you to get your ass outside and go play with your friends essentially.
You get your pokemon thanks to your friends giving you one as a gift.
You meet the professor later in the game who gives you a kanto starter.
4 rivals
Player is just travelling with his friends, rivaling his neighbor selena.
Flare wants to literally drain the life force of all pokemon in order to use that stored life energy to incinerate the entire world in cataclysmic blasts so only "beauty" remains from the ashes of corruption.

So yeah... things do change, it's a very VERY good game.
Hmm from what little of the game i saw so far. the game does change but it only seem to be the team flare, who so far are coming more noticeable( then again, the teams from others series are always going to be more interesting than anything else). but aside from them everything else, while its is change. as Agayek told before, not much has changed much.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
arc1991 said:
I picked Squirtle...Blastoise's Mega Evo is literally a tank... so you can have your shinier Dragon, while i blast it of the sky ;)
Congratulations on being demonstrably wrong.

Mega Charizard Y > Any form of tank

It's science.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Agayek said:
alik44 said:

player goes to mom

Oh geez the flamboyism from them is laughable. To me they're more like the shows Team Rocket.