Thief Cuts Experience System

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Thief Cuts Experience System

Thief will no longer make use of an XP system because it was reducing the incentive to actually steal things.

As part of its "reimagining" of the Thief franchise, Eidos Montreal incorporated an experience system not unlike those found in more combat-oriented games - a fact highlighted by the "headshot XP" bonus that appeared in the E3 gameplay demo. But in the latest "Take 5 Q&A" session, Game Director Nic Cantin and Lead Level Designer Daniel Windfeld Schmidt revealed that the XP system has been dropped.

"At first, we wanted to outline the progression of the player with XP, but it was reducing our motivation to steal. The main goal of a thief should be to gain loot," Cantin explained. "Garrett is already the Master Thief, so we saw no need to have XP as a core mechanic."

"We wanted to put emphasis on stealing things, and put the rewards on the stealing aspect," Schmidt added. "We want to allow the player to decide the 'how to' - we shouldn't judge how the player wants to achieve their goal, only reward them for achieving it."

Instead of progressing with experience, players will use the gold they steal to purchase tools that will enable them to behave in stealthier or more aggressive manners. On the surface it sounds more akin to how the original games worked, and Cantin acknowledged that the negative reaction to the implementation of experience points had some influence on the decision to cut it.

"It is more a design decision to add to our economy system and entice the player to steal more," he said. "But yes, the E3 reaction was right, rewarding killing like that was wrong for a Master Thief."

It's a smart move, but I'm a little concerned by the timing. Thief is due in February and that's pretty close to the wire for dicking around with core systems. Excising a fundamental component of character advancement has to be a pretty big deal, and even if it's not a terribly complex technical maneuver, messing with what I see as a fairly central aspect of the design at this late stage doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Source: Eidos Montreal [http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Take-5-QA-4]

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
It is like they woke up and decided to listen to the fans of the series. While this is a step in the right direction I doubt it is good enough. Thankfully we have the Darkmod which is great.

Karathos

May 10, 2009
Holy crap. It's like they suddenly realised people don't want an XP system like some damn shooter in a game that's supposed to be Thief series. My enthusiasm is raised by a very very small fraction, but there's still a long way to go in between the action-oriented shit and the overly flashy moves.

Time will tell...

Apr 5, 2008
This is a good move. I'm still terrified that this game is going to be awful, coming from a huge fan of the original games who bought and played them on release. These games should be organic steal em ups, not action games with takedowns. That's why the lack of Russell as Garrett and the choice of someone else as VA because he can do stunts in cutscenes is so depressing. I don't want a game of bloody cutscenes of Garrett doing acrobatics I have no control over. I don't want control taken away as has been the way in many recent games.

Only time will tell. Saying that, I'm not pre-ordering. Despite my confidence that Eidos Montreal are the best that Squeenix has and are undoubtedly their best shot, the changes are generally all for the worse. I'm really afraid it will be some console action-adventure with checkpoints in lieu of quicksaves, QTEs, takedowns and other context-button presses, all bullshit. I'll wait for other people to buy it and see what's said first, particularly how it compares to originals for gameplay.

Burned badly by Hitman Absolution. Thoroughly tedious game with nothing in common with the last four titles beyond 47 and some story fluff. So bad I couldn't play beyond the convent level. It's amazing that with better technology and increased budgets, many games have gotten worse, not better.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
cursedseishi said:
Alpha Maeko said:
A thief who doesn't steal.

Er... I suppose you can play it that way.
Honestly u find it hilarious that these guys thought the players, the very people expecting to be able to steal stuff, wouldn't want to steal stuff.

And that's ignoring some of the painfully obvious fixes available for the system, that doesn't require dropping the idea. Like, oh I don't know, having said loot award large chunks of xp when stolen, and award no-detect or no-kill playthroughs, kind of like how other stealth based games handle it. Then again, I'm not entirely sure about the competence (or sanity) of these Devs just yet so... Yeah.
Bht he is already the best there is, its kinda in his title. XP is merely a method to show progression of a weak character grow in strength. XP in theif would be like XP in COD story mode. They are already the best, what is xp supposed to prove?

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I think a good replacement for the XP system is to make a slow heal system as a form of risk vs reward. Bruises, muscle sprains, cuts, and even worse bone breaks take long amounts of time to heal, and while you can take medicine that reduces the effects for a short time, each injury will affect how Garrett (and you) handle each situation.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
As long as they make it an enjoyable experience that's worth the money I pay, I don't really care what they omit in the final product.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Wait... You didn't get experience for stealing things? Whaaa?
I mean its nice that they acknowledge my mad bow skillz, but Thief is the NAME of the game.
That was my reaction too. How on earth could they have only just reached the conclusion that people play Thief because they want to play as a thief? Did they do marketing research on COD fans or something that decided people would rather spend time getting sick headshots?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I knew it would have an XP system, but that it didn't gave you good XP for stealing?... I don't even...

Okay, so this is a good step in the right direction, let's hope the game stays true to the name of the game (you know, stealing stuff and everything...).

Worst case scenario, it could be better than Thief 3... I hope...

elvis-66

Apr 2, 2010
Now if only just about every other game would remove the XP systems shoehorned into their games. Nothing annoys me more in a game (or shatters the immersion) where all of a sudden a bullet from a gun develops extra magical destructive power simply because its the 500th one youve fired.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Hmm, maybe they've gone back and played the Thief series and got some idea of what it's like.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
That's the first news coming from this game that makes me say, "good call" without saying, "except for this part here." So, improvement?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Is this a 'hint hint' thing? Either they were forced to put it in originally, or they needed the crowd at E3 to point how stupid it was. Or it could be learning from fucking up like a Mircrosoft thing since Chalk's last paragraph is pretty much what I was thinking. They are leaving these alterations too late.