3DS Finally Gets Hulu Plus, Two Years Late

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
3DS Finally Gets Hulu Plus, Two Years Late

The Hulu Plus service was first announced for the 3DS back in October 2011.

Here's something that we all completely forgot about, the announcement that the Hulu Plus streaming service was coming to the 3DS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113775-Watch-Battlestar-Galactica-And-Glee-On-Your-3DS-or-Wii]. The original announcement, all the way back in October 2011, promised the service would launch "by the end of the year." While the Wii version of the service did launch shortly thereafter, the 3DS version quickly became vaporware. Now, almost two years later, we finally have it.

The Hulu app is now available in the Nintendo eShop and supports all members of the 3DS lineup of handhelds, including the new 2DS - though as with other Hulu apps, it'll require a subscription to Hulu Plus in order to stream anything.

Thankfully, there is a 1 week free trial that 3DS users can check out before deciding to shell out the $7.99-a-month subscription fee.

Hulu Plus offers access to hundreds of movies and classic TV series on top of the most recent episodes of shows like The Simpsons, Naruto and Family Guy. There's no word on whether the service will make use of the system's special 3D screen to stream 3D movies, but that certainly would be a cool little addition.

So there you go. You now have another tiny screen to watch TV shows and movies on. Are you excited about this, or did you simply forget about it like we did?

Source: Siliconera [http://www.hulu.com/plus/3ds]

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
My guess on what happened with the delay? Hulu found out that they had to make a special codec that would work well enough on the 3DS that there wasn't any serious framerate or quality drops while watching the shows. Then they had to convert their entire backlog to that codec...

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I wouldn't pay for Hulu when I can easily get ad-free Netflix or Amazon for the same price, but I also have 2 DVRs.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I didn't know about this, and why should anyone care? Who needs to watch tv shows on their 3DS when they can already do it with their smartphones or, I dunno, THEIR TV'S????? I just see no point in cramming tv shows to a small screen. It's just stupid.