Dust 514's New Producer Wants to Crank Up The Action

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Dust 514's New Producer Wants to Crank Up The Action

The new boss has some big plans for the F2P shooter.

CCP launched Dust 514 earlier in the summer to a [a href=http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/dust-514]milquetoast critical reception[/a]. To spice things up a bit, it found a new executive producer in former EA man Jean-Charles Gaudechon, who's taking the positive view of things. [a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/17/4849166/dust-514s-new-producer-on-why-you-dont-stop-movies-or-games-to]Talking to Polygon[/a], he says that "I do not see myself as a savior... I'm just coming here to grow that already awesome product that Dust 514 is." He's got a plan, and the first order of business is amping up the action.

Gaudechon says that he wants to "really focus on that kind of visceral gameplay - that intense first few hours, first few days of playing the game - and making sure that we can engage more people into that world, into that fiction, and show you ... how deep and rich that universe is."

He also has plans for the microtransactions, something that [a href=http://www.destructoid.com/review-dust-514-253697.phtml]Destructoid[/a] feels "border on offensive". "You don't stop the movie to get a dollar from someone," Gaudechon said. "It's not a good experience."

Before joining CCP, Gaudechon worked on EA's F2P games, like Battlefield Heroes and Need for Speed World. CCP has some huge ideas behind both Dust and Eve, and it looks like it's willing to put some extra elbow grease into realizing them.

Source: [a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/17/4849166/dust-514s-new-producer-on-why-you-dont-stop-movies-or-games-to]Polygon[/a]

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
I had to google milquetoast...never ever seen that word.

But otherwise good, maybe I'll actually buy it then.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I beta tested DUST and played it when it eventually released. It's not a bad game, but there's issues keeping it from being the best of games. There was a lack of variety in maps at first. They added more. The skill tree was confusing, they updated it. So gradually they were ironing out the wrinkles. Still the fact you could only see marginal returns on purchased skills and weapons. It was fun to some extent, but only so many games you'd weren't really addicted. Nothing special to hook the player in.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Game was doomed the moment they announced it would be PS3 exclusive. Utterly stupid decision.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
ron1n said:
Game was doomed the moment they announced it would be PS3 exclusive. Utterly stupid decision.
This.

Dust 514's sole unique selling point in a shooter market that's beyond glutted is its tie-in to EVE Online, and they would have been far better off targetting people already interested in that game. That's going to be mostly MMO players and MMOs are still almost exclusively on PCs.

I find EVE fascinating, but I have neither the time nor the dedication to play EO itself. I'd have definitely taken a look at Dust 514 though. But no...

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
EA CEO dictating their development direction... how could this plan ever go wrong.
Also still PS3 exclusive for a community that is entirely on PC, you really aren't getting any brilliance awards with that one.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Sixcess said:
ron1n said:
This.

Dust 514's sole unique selling point in a shooter market that's beyond glutted is its tie-in to EVE Online, and they would have been far better off targetting people already interested in that game. That's going to be mostly MMO players and MMOs are still almost exclusively on PCs.

I find EVE fascinating, but I have neither the time nor the dedication to play EO itself. I'd have definitely taken a look at Dust 514 though. But no...
A part of me wants to say that the reason for this was to prevent large conglomerates like Goonswarm from dominating the game day one. They wanted the mercenaries to be independent from the spaceships.