BioShock Wine Bottles Show Up on eBay

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioShock Wine Bottles Show Up on eBay

Die-hard BioShock [http://www.somethinginthesea.com/] fans may want to turn their attention to eBay, where some of the promotional bottles of Arcadia wine from the fictional Worley Winery are already turning up.

BioShock 2 has been pushed back into 2010 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93121-BioShock-2-Delayed-to-Fiscal-2010-UPDATED] but that doesn't seem to matter much to the 2K marketing department, which is moving full steam ahead with publicity campaigns. Its most recent effort - a pretty cool one, I have to admit - was to place dozens of bottles from a fictitious winery, each carrying four Rapture-based promotional posters, on ten beaches located throughout the world.

The audience for the promotion was naturally limited by geography but BioShock fans who simply must have this particular piece of memorabilia are in luck - they're already appearing on eBay [http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A2214&_nkw=bioshock+2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=10&_sc=1]. More than a dozen auctions for the Arcadia wine bottles are currently underway and more are almost certain to appear. Most are offering the bottles sealed, although at least one has been opened.

The privilege of owning this stuff doesn't come cheap, however. Bidding on some of the bottles is already over $100 and it's a safe bet that the rest will catch up, which likely prices them beyond all but the most dedicated of BioShock fans.

via: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/08/bioshock-2-wine-bottles-already-up-on-ebay/]

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
This... Is a brilliant marketing ploy.

Games adverts are definitely getting smarter, and that's just awesome :D

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
That's some pretty clever viral marketing right there.

I'm glad that the people who picked them up didn't just drink it straight away.

Circus Ascendant

Jul 9, 2008
"Over $100?"

I, for one, am AMAZED at how LITTLE they are going for. To the point where I'm tempted to buy one (not even a huge Bioshock fan) and resell in a few years, because the value on these is gonna fucking SOAR.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
If I was a gamer (which I am) and a wine collector (which I'm not) I'd be in heaven.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
harhol said:
Surely it's illegal to dump a load of bottles on random beaches?
They made BioShock. They can do whatever they want. To anyone. Whenever they feel like it.

All they have to do is promise awesome plasmids to the world leaders and they can eat babies in a fantasy setting while waving a machine gun around, like some sort of Master Chief/Guy from Gears of War/Hello Kitty monster.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
this is a great and rather harmless marketing ploy they came up with, they might get in trouble for dumping but really it's not hurting anyone.

i just wonder how many people have thrown out the bottles thinking they are garbage

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
This is probably one of the best viral marketing schemes I've ever seen. I'm pretty impressed with the marketing team that came up with this one.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Doc Theta Sigma said:
You do know that they don't have wine in them? Just promotional Bioshock 2 posters.
Maybe someone drank the wine.

/waits to hear reports of the Loch Ness Monster's drunken escapades.

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
Son of a *****, they stole my idea!

Anyways, if anyone's interested I have an unopened bottle straight from the sandy shore of Jones Beach that I am willing to part with (for the right price, that is).

Note: The one in the last piture is opened, and not the one I am selling. The one in the first two pictures is still sealed. that is the one I plan one selling selling. PM me if you have any questions, and [link=http://img268.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img0129mkz.jpg]
Here's[/link] a direct link incase the pictures aren't working.
P.S. I have a few pictures of the beach that morning if anyone wants to see.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I'll bet the wine's pretty terrible. I'd like to see some professional wine taster's opinion. I think it'd be pretty hilarious if wine that supposedly came from the objectivist utopia of a rich mad man tasted like it was made out of something that just barely qualified as a grape.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Sevre90210 said:
Doc Theta Sigma said:
You do know that they don't have wine in them? Just promotional Bioshock 2 posters.
Maybe someone drank the wine.

/waits to hear reports of the Loch Ness Monster's drunken escapades.
Rapture is in Loch Ness? To the Improbable-mobile!

Still, there's no wine? I mean... I don't just want a bottle and a poster. I want booze!
Sob.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Their latest marketing stunt was so stupid.

They could've done so much more!

Ah well. I won't be buying this.

Though it would make an interesting piece for ANY room...