PS4 Controller Has Limited Functionality With PS3

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
PS4 Controller Has Limited Functionality With PS3

<youtube=OSZk18sVnq4>​
YouTube user Udetto tried out the PS4 controller with his PS3 and saw that it worked -- somewhat.

Testing out a couple games with the PS4 controller plugged in to the PS3, YouTube user Udetto found that the PS4 controller is compatible with some PS3 games. The catch: the controller has to be wired. The moment the controller is unplugged and wireless activates, the PS3 will not recognize it.

Udetto played Urban Trial Freestyle, a dirt-bike videogame, with the DualShock 4 plugged in via USB, and he reports having no problems with the controls. "Works a little bit too good," he joked as he went too front-heavy in a jump. He said the controller worked perfectly.

Udetto also tried playing FIFA 14; however, because the game requires the controller to be wireless, the PS4 controller could not be used. "The menus were fine," he said. "As soon as it came to 'wireless connection required,' it didn't work." Navigating the menus of the game with the controller plugged in still worked.

After receiving many questions in the comments, Udetto appears to be looking more into what the controller can and can't do on the PS3. One commenter suggested paring the PS4 controller in the menu for wireless. Another asked how the Share and Options buttons work for the PS3 (rather than Start and Select).

Controllers are expensive. The DualShock 4 sells individually for $59.99. It would be nice if the PS3 controller would work in some capacity on the PS4.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSZk18sVnq4]

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I think I missed something here.

What is it about FIFA 14 that it can't be played with a wired controller?

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Nice. I can play resistance as a proper FPS and not shout at the handling.
To be honest, there isn't that many games that you "have" to play wirelessly. I've played many with it charging through the USB cable.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I feel that the words 'at the moment' should be added to the title. The ps4 nor its controllers are publicly available, so it makes sense that there is no full support for the ps4 controllers built into the ps3 software yet.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
considering that i could use a PS2 controller on a PS1, and i could with a USB attachment use a PS2 controller with a PS3, i am not too surprised.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I guess it just goes to show that the architecture is similar enough for the PS3 to accept the PS4 controller. Pretty interesting. I'm sure some will use it to say that the PS4 isn't much of an improvement as just an update to the PS3 system. Oh wells.

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
Ponyholder said:
OT: How did he get the Dualshock 4? Did they sell them early?
According to the watermark in the lower left corner he seems to be working for a German games magazine (Computer Bild Spiele).

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Ponyholder said:
Scrythe said:
I think I missed something here.

What is it about FIFA 14 that it can't be played with a wired controller?
As all controllers for PS3 are Wireless (from what I remember), without "seeing" that wireless signal on the network for the PS3, it doesn't register anything as a controller input device. Why they can't just add a small firmware update to allow the PS3 to read PS4 wireless signals (they shouldn't be different and if they are they should very well be able to add the ability to read it via that new network signal). Or just add the ability to read from the software on the PS4 controller as a wired controller. I would love to play some PS3 games with a good trigger instead of the clumsy one that was on Dualshock 3.

OT: How did he get the Dualshock 4? Did they sell them early?
There are unofficial wired controllers for the PS3 and you can get an adapter to plug in and use a wired PS2 controller so I don't think that's quite the problem here although I'm afraid I don't know enough about the technology to suggest an alternative explanation. Although I do agree that Sony should be able to add an update for the PS3 that allows PS4 controllers to function wirelessly assuming they use the same wireless hardware as the PS3 controller.