Sony Confirms 8-Player Cross-Game Chat for PS4

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Sony Confirms 8-Player Cross-Game Chat for PS4

Sony says the PS4's much-desired cross-chat service will support up to an octet of gamers.

With the PS4's launch day drawing ever closer, Sony is just about done keeping secrets. We've heard talk of a Party system to let you use voice chat with friends over PSN, regardless of what game or app you're using, but a few details were missing. But as of now, we can all sleep easier knowing exactly how many users can use cross-chat together at once - Sony says the magic number is eight. One more mystery solved, folks.

Sid Shuman, Social Media Manager at Sony, confirmed the detail during a Killzone: Shadow Fall Q&A session [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/21/killzone-shadow-fall-your-questions-answered/#comment-909473] on the PlayStation Blog. The feature has been a long time coming, since it was a major gap in PSN's social components last generation. While the PS3 did get cross-game text chat via lobbies for up to 15 users, voice chat was never in the cards (meanwhile, the 360 had cross-game voice chat but never did add text lobbies). The PS Vita was the first Sony product to achieve this much-wanted feature, and now Sony consoles will catch up at last.

Expect the service to be live along with the rest of the PlayStation 4's social features when the console launches on Sony's "perfect day," [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128733-Sony-Describes-a-Perfect-Day-in-Surreal-Ad] November 15. I'm sure it'll quickly be put to good use discussing game tactics and delivering positive feedback on your friends' playstyles - that's what you use voice chat for, right?

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/21/killzone-shadow-fall-your-questions-answered/]

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Awesome!

Having to pause a game and type a response gets really tedious after a while, and not to mention a massive pain in the ass. It's a mystery to me why they never had it for the PS3, but it's nice to see that it's coming to their newest console.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Chaosritter said:
While it's nice and all, is it really necessary?
Believe me, it'll be handy. The PS3 has many single player games and since you could only chat in game if the people were playing the same game it was a hassle. This is a feature that many PS3 owners, myself included, where hoping was gonna come to us in an update in the past.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Neronium said:
Chaosritter said:
While it's nice and all, is it really necessary?
Believe me, it'll be handy. The PS3 has many single player games and since you could only chat in game if the people were playing the same game it was a hassle. This is a feature that many PS3 owners, myself included, where hoping was gonna come to us in an update in the past.
Seriously.

Some small part of me knew it would never come in an update, but still, it would've been nice to have since typing on the PS3 just plain sucks. :/