Pokemon Research Proves Squirtle To Be Best Starter

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Pokemon Research Proves Squirtle To Be Best Starter

Pokemon enthusiasts, take note: science has settled the age-old argument over which starting Pokemon is the very best.

It's one of the greatest questions of our generation, debated endlessly around the globe: which of the three starter Pokemon should you pick? Everyone has a favorite, and though we're presented with a new trio of pocket monsters to pick from with each set of games, everyone remembers that first fateful choice of Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle. In an announcement bound to enrage two-thirds of the world, researcher Kyle Hill has determined that (scientifically speaking), the optimal choice is Squirtle.

Hill explained his research in a WolframAlpha's new Pokemon database [http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/but-not-simpler/2013/10/22/squirtle-i-should-choose-you-settling-a-great-pokemon-debate-with-science/]), he laid out each of the first generation starters' stats. While Squirtle has the lowest base stats of the three, it makes a huge leap when it evolves to Wartortle, making it a better investment. It's not all about the stats, though; Hill also recorded the rosters of every gym leader in the Kanto region, as well as the Elite Four. Altogether Squirtle is super-effective more often, and not-very-effective less often, than Bulbasaur or Charmander in the battles where it counts.

There are a few arguments that this study doesn't cover, so the debate will inevitably continue. For example, many trainers favor Fire-type starters because wild Fire-types are consistently very rare. Also, Charizard is undeniably rad, and I'm not sure if the research takes that into account.

Source: Scientific American [http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/but-not-simpler/2013/10/22/squirtle-i-should-choose-you-settling-a-great-pokemon-debate-with-science/]

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
You damn right Charizard is rad as hell.

How rad?

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Grass type is the only answer.

Leech Seed/poison powder. It's the only true way.

Also, Treecko confirmed to be better than Bulbasaur.

edgecult

May 4, 2011
All the bulba love today. Feels good..

Shame is mega form is kinda wonky looking with the pink flower growing off his forehead.. kinda hard to stand that up to living rail gun blastoise and actual dragon charizard...

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Score 1 for the Squirteam

Wow that sounds horrible.

Hey guys... guys... can we not call ourselves the Squirteam... how about Team Squirtle?

Yeah! Score 1 for Team Squirtle.

In all seriousness though, I love my blastoise.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Bulbasaur can take the first 3 gym leaders by itself. After that you can get some very powerful pokemon, so the starter's significance isn't as high at that point - it definitely doesn't matter by the time you reach the Elite Four.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Whatislove said:
Hey guys... guys... can we not call ourselves the Squirteam... how about Team Squirtle?
Any name but Squirtle Squad will always feel wrong.

And Blastoise has one of the best mega forms around, so there's that.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Pokemon research is wrong.

I assume we're just talking the Kanto starters, in which case Bulbasaur is the clear winner. Sleep Powder, Sludge Bomb, instant Solarbeam? Forgetabowtit!

What can Squirtle do? Bite and spit water, who gives a Muk?

Of course, out of all the starters, this bad boy wins every time.

STAB Earthquake? Fire types be hatin'.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
th3dark3rsh33p said:
This is just Pro Squirtle propaganda.

ALL HAIL CHARMANDER!
Indeed, all hail the all mighty Charmander!
Hell, it evolves into Charizard, which has 2 Mega Evolutions when compared to Venisaur and Blastoise's 1!
Plus, it's a fully realized dragon now with one of those forms! >:3

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Wartortle, and Croconaw after it, learn Bite. Mudkip is just too likable. Piplup - my very favorite - becomes a Steel-type with great special attack. Oshawott's final evolution learns Megahorn. Froakie... becomes another Fighting-type frog...

EDIT: Oh, wait. Froakie becomes a Dark-type. Yeah, that's great.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
the data is clearly flase, Chamander is the only choice.

well, if your a train of any REAL skill that is :p

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Screw all you haters. Bulbasaur is where it's at.
BanicRhys said:
Of course, out of all the starters, this bad boy wins every time.

STAB Earthquake? Fire types be hatin'.
Also Torterra. Badass ************.

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
Xman490 said:
Froakie... becomes another Fighting-type frog...
Froakie turns into a Water/Dark type though... to keep the weakness cycle between the three starters

-> = Strong against

Fire->Grass->Water->Fire

Psychic->Fighting->Dark->Psychic

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Let's see if I can remember my end game team from back in the day...

Mewtwo, Gyrados, Vileploom, Flareon, Beedrill, and Zapdos.

(Wow, how many of those did I misspell?)

What's that? No starter remaining in my group? Maybe that's because the starters are some of the more boring of the Pokemon.