Xbox One's Kinect's Minimum Distance Shrinks to 4.6 Feet

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Xbox One's Kinect's Minimum Distance Shrinks to 4.6 Feet

Good news for those of you with more "cozy" living conditions.

When the original Kinect launched for the Xbox 360, it had a minimum distance requirement of six to eight feet. This was all well and good if you happened to be one of the nuclear families living in a middle-class suburban home that seemed to feature in every advertisement for the device, but for those of us with more "realistic" living arrangements, it quickly became an obstacle. Keen-eyed fans scouring a leaked Xbox One instruction manual discovered that the minimum distance for the new Kinect 2.0 has shrunk to 1.4 meters (around 4.6 feet).

The leaked document [http://jogos.download.uol.com.br/levelup/manual_xboxone.pdf] is the Brazilian version of the console's manual (hence the sensible, metric measurements). The manual details what players will have to do to get their Xbox One up and running, including connecting to the internet (which is step four in the manual), and not standing it upright. It also recommends that players have a 720p or higher quality television.

Dropping the minimum distance for Kinect is definitely a step in the right direction. Microsoft is really pushing the fact that Kinect 2.0 is an integral part of the Xbox One experience, and if people's living arrangements prevented them from using the device, it may have made them think twice about buying the console.

Do you live in a small apartment? Have you had any troubles with consoles that require a lot of room, such as the original Kinect or the original Wii?

Source: Engadget [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702541]

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
1. All this imperial measurement bullshit garbage makes my head hurt.
2. At least the new kinect will work better now as it spies on you and send the info to the NSA.
3. The Wii worked in a small space.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
You know how much room I need for the Kinect if I buy an Xbone?

0.0 meters
0 feet 0 inches

Because that ***** is getting left in the box. It is a step in the right direction, but I don't have a use for the Kinect and I personally despise motion controls. So, yeah...

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Still not going to fit...

Though to be fair it would now fit in my flats living room instead of my bedroom where my set-up is, but who play games out there?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
(hence the sensible, imperial measurements)
Unfortunately I wasn't born with 14 fingers (or whatever retarded number the Imperial measurement system uses) so I had to learn the silly metric way when I was a child.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Still not good enough for me, i can only just get that in my living room (just) but considering this is going in my bedroom and that's only just about Wii compatible this can still fuck right off.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Still too close for me, my 360 is at my PC desk it would have to go in the living room where I don't want/need a console.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
Ed130 said:
Steven Bogos said:
Unfortunately I wasn't born with 14 fingers (or whatever retarded number the Imperial measurement system uses) so I had to learn the silly metric way when I was a child.
That's the point, it doesn't use one sensible number. Along with your 14 fingers you'd need 16 toes, 12 teeth, 3 legs and a partridge in a pear tree.

On the subject of Kinect, I think 1.4m is about the distance from my TV to my sofa, so as long I could use it sitting down it might work (not that I plan on getting one in the near future but still). Of course, I'm sure that's not the intention, though this is at least a step in the right direction.

I assume that the original Kinect sold better in the US than elsewhere, since compared to American houses our European hovels are very humble. 2-3 times smaller if my quick internet search is to be believed.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I think this might fit now, but it's just barely. Good thing I have no interest in getting one.

Still, it's good to see that they're making an effort when they made the thing mandatory. Now I can happily let the Kinect watch me as I sleep.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
rees263 said:
Ed130 said:
Steven Bogos said:
That's the point, it doesn't use one sensible number. Along with your 14 fingers you'd need 16 toes, 12 teeth, 3 legs and a partridge in a pear tree.
I got a good laugh out of that. XD

OT: Still probably not going to buy one. It's not for lack of games or being spied on, although I'm not too fond of the latter, it's lack of funds. Being a broke student isn't fun.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I think it's pretty cool that they're trying to make their product more flexible to accommodate more people's living rooms. I'd still never use a Kinect in my own home though.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Well, that's fantastic! Maybe now they can work on the next update: making it a product I would wish to use over a controller in any way, shape, or form.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
This was to be expected. When they said they had improved the kinect I did figure they had changed the range as well. By working on the minimum distance needed for it to function more people could utilize the system. Unfortunately that was buried by the other quirks that MS revealed. Let's be honest, Xbox One is sounds like a solid game unit, but their attempt at innovation failed.(Let's not rehash) It seems that no matter the good news people still have a bad taste in their mouths. Like a jilted lover we are resistant to anything MS does. While all the talking points have gotten better it's hard to win back the full community that easily. I've met some that are reconsidering their pre-orders, but that's only 1 of the 8 people I know. I'm sure there are more. Words aren't going to do it alone. Price aside, and I speak for myself in this matter, don't see enough games of interest on Xbox One. Many of the titles are multiplatform, but few extra coming to PS4 draw me in. I've already pre-ordered inFamous Second Son. It's not out til next year! I'll admit I love that series enough to buy the collection edition. Anyway, the Xbox One has possibilities, but even stories like have merit. Some might see it in a new light and give it a chance.