"Leaked" PC Edition of GTA 5 is Actually Malware

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
"Leaked" PC Edition of GTA 5 is Actually Malware

Rockstar hasn't even announced a PC edition of Grand Theft Auto V, but that hasn't stopped thousands of excitable gamers from attempting to pirate their very own copy.

Thousands of people have reportedly been infected by a piece of malware that's dressed up like a PC version of Grand Theft Auto V. After installation, this malevolent little program will infect a computer and attempt to secretly collect personal information. Also, it probably forces gamers to question their basic decision-making skills.

At first glance, the package seems almost genuine. The file size is big enough to look legitimate, and the "developer" has even included a flashy installation screen. Once the game is installed, though, users are asked to fork over their personal info in order to "register," and it quickly becomes clear that this isn't a copy of GTA.

Perhaps more troubling, though, is the fact that most of the package, nearly 20 gigabytes, is comprised of unverifiable data. Those files could simply be filler, but there's a very good chance that they contain even more malicious software.

Over 600,000 people have signed a change.org petition [http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/rockstar-release-gta-v-on-pc] that politely asks Rockstar to consider porting GTA 5 over to the PC. So, this kind of machination isn't exactly surprising. But the fact that so many people have already been tricked is a little depressing.

I'd also like to point out that Grand Theft Auto IV didn't make its way to the Windows-based universe until seven months after it was released on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. So, there's a very good chance that Rockstar is planning a little surprise for PC owners. Until then, be patient.

Source: WCCF Tech [http://wccftech.com/gta-v-pc-scam-infects-thousands-pcs-world-wide/]

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! It's the punishment pirates deserve AND the one they get. This made my day. Perfect time to whip this one out. It's been a while...

"You'll get no sympathy from me. You want sympathy, look in the dictionary between shit and syphilis. That's where you'll find my sympathy." Major Payne (1995)

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
Sounds like this heist went south.

(Song works on two levels here.)

But seriously, 20 gigs of malware? There's something poetic about how stealing a game about stealing things (and how stealing things can go wrong) goes horribly wrong.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
BarbaricGoose said:
Sounds like this heist went south.

(Song works on two levels here.)

But seriously, 20 gigs of malware? There's something poetic about how stealing a game about stealing things (and how stealing things can go wrong) goes horribly wrong.
This is the best anti piracy campaign I've seen.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
If you stupid enough to fall for this...
You deserve what's coming to your PC.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
I would say justice is served since they are filthy pirates and deserve to be punished but the theft of personal information is dangerous stuff so I am in a bit of a dilemma here.

I am just gonna say they are all horrible people and leave it at that.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
TopazFusion said:
Akbar is a Star Spawn!
Well, they sure as hell won't pay for it NOW. This isn't the action you take to get people to cooperate.

benvorbeck

Mar 18, 2011
This just made my day! on the one hand we have a petition to get Rockstar to port it to PC. on the other hand we have afuckload of pirates ready to hack the shit out of this game.

Attention Rockstar, This is proof that you should just ignore that petition.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Well, to be honest, if someone was stupid enough to download that, he's stupid enough to get his PC infected anyway, so nothing really changed...

benvorbeck said:
This just made my day! on the one hand we have a petition to get Rockstar to port it to PC. on the other hand we have afuckload of pirates ready to hack the shit out of this game.

Attention Rockstar, This is proof that you should just ignore that petition.
Yes, because there aren't thousands of people who pirated it on the consoles, right? Seriously, console piracy is consistently glossed over, while console versions often get pirated faster than PC versions. Sure, PC piracy might be more widespread, but acting like it's a PC-only problem is silly...

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
I'm sure that not even the ten year old kids who fell for this are dumb enough to give out their personal info. Also, it seems to be gone, being that this happened days ago :(

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I'll admit, I cackled my fucking head almost right off reading that. Einstein is proven right yet again.

"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not so sure of the former."

The only thing that would make this story even more hilarious is if someone attempted to sue Rockstar because of this. I shit you not - if something like that happens, I will die laughing.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
No.

I refuse to believe that anyone would be so dearth of intelligence that they would be so stupid as to fall for this.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
008Zulu said:
No.

I refuse to believe that anyone would be so dearth of intelligence that they would be so stupid as to fall for this.
I imagine many would have stopped the install once it started asking for personal information, hacks are made to stop you from being picked up as a pirate so questions like that should have raised some flags or at least stick in some false data.

If I were the creator of this I would have not included that part.

velcthulhu

Feb 14, 2009
I realize the Escapist likes to stretch the definition of "news" these days, but seriously? Someone distributed a virus disguised as a torrent for a popular thing? That happens -literally- every time there is a popular thing for it to happen to. This is as newsworthy as memes getting posted to reddit, or idiots posting on 4chan. You might as well just post cat videos and call it news.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
What I don't understand is how that download became popular. The very first bunch of people who downloaded it would immediately post downvotes, negative comments, fake flags, etc (happens with EVERY torrent) and such a thing would've never taken off, it would've simply died. Especially not something that is 18gb, that's freaking huge and people will think twice before committing to such a huge download...yes, even "them stupid pirates".

Unless...it wasn't a torrent and instead an HTTP source? Which makes even less sense because where the hell would someone upload something that huge and have it downloaded hundreds/thousands of times without the HTTP server crashing?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Ultratwinkie said:
The first picture has:

18+ million downloads. Only counting the first few 1,000,000+ numbers. That is more than GTA V sold on day fucking 1. Rockstar lost, on console piracy alone, an additional 1.3 billion dollars. Not counting the used game sales that will inevitably come as well.
Those are views, not downloads. It's quite likely many people would have viewed more than one thread, or viewed the same thread several times in the course of working out which was best to download, and lurkers would be added to the tally too. I don't doubt numbers pirated were stupidly huge but there isn't really a reason to assume 18+ million from what you've posted.