Metal Gear Solid 5 is Open World But With Clear Objectives

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Metal Gear Solid 5 is Open World But With Clear Objectives

Hideo Kojima clarifies what he meant by "open world" in Metal Gear Solid 5.

Stealth games usually stick to interiors. You go from one point to the next to complete your mission. Back when Hideo Kojima first started showing gameplay for Metal Gear Solid 5, he revealed he wanted to create a "true open world experience." In a Famitsu interview, Kojima explains what he imagines his open world game to be.

"Of course it's not going to be a game where Snake fishes all day or changes jobs and pursues a different life," Kojima said. "The game map is an open world and you have freedom in that way, but in MGS, it's clear what you're doing. That may be 'I have to help someone' or 'Destroy this thing' or 'Go gather intelligence at this spot.' Some missions will have time limits, too."

Previous games in the series have had aspects of both linear and open world games. As a player, you can choose to sneak past foes or to kill them. At the same time, the games have taken place in interiors where the player is placed at an entrance and follows a path to the next event. "It's not that linear games are bad... but really, it'd be fun if you were the one thinking about how and where to infiltrate, what sort of equipment to bring, and how to get out of there... I think the way that MGS is combined with an open world here is something that we haven't really communicated very well yet." He believes many future games will lie within open worlds because of their interactivity.

Kojima has previously worried [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125909-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Upset-Hideo-Kojima] that the open world experience of Grand Theft Auto V would outperform his own series. Of course, the two series have very different themes and try to accomplish different things. He believes that despite the change in gameplay, people will still pick up Metal Gear Solid 5 and say, "Yes, this is MGS."

Source: Polygon [http://www.famitsu.com/]

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Yah! More homoeroticism and strangling people with families, dreams and lives!

I love this series.

captcha: fast and loose - Fitting. Fitting indeed.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Wow, is that screenshot in-game with the Fox Engine? That's pretty impressive.

I still find it odd that Kojima says he wants to create a "true open world experience" like that's been his intention from day one with Metal Gear. Maybe it has, who knows? But MGS has always been a very specific type of gameplay and usually always the very opposite of open world. I'm not complaining but it just seems like an curious change of focus.

Nevertheless Kojima has never steered me wrong (except maybe a little with MGS4.) I'm looking forward to seeing what the master of stealth pulls from his hat this time.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
The screenshot used in this story gave me a brief thought of Revolver Ocelot dueling John Marston, and that made me smile. Then I realized that that fleeting image wasn't reality, and I ceased smiling. That is all.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I guarantee that the "open world" thing will get tedious, fast.

I mean, in the gameplay demo, the thing that people use to sell the game that features the most spectacle, they fast-forwarded through, meaning that it can get pretty damn boring in the game.

But then again, I know nothing about MGS as a series or why people like it(the tone is inconsistent, the soundtrack is just ridiculous, but then they deal with stuff like waterboarding, and yet they have angsty 12-year-olds as main characters).

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Man, what I'd do for a fishing minigame with codec conversations about every fish captured.

Not much, actually, but it would be neat.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
AgentLampshade said:
Man, what I'd do for a fishing minigame with codec conversations about every fish captured.

Not much, actually, but it would be neat.
Snake, you caught a Red Snapper, it's red appearance makes it-
HOW DOES IT TASTE?

On topic, I guess they're just saying it's "open world" but not necessarily a "sandbox", yeah?

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I like choices. Not only customizing my character, but customizing how I do things. Sand boxes are fun not just when you can explore, but give you multiple methods to play. In games like GTA and Saint's Row I often go on rampages through the city just seeing how long I can evade the wave of enemies I've managed to piss off. It's fun. It's what those games are made for. I see this more like Red Dead Redemption where you ride out, find the bandit camp, and engage as you see fit. (I needed to get around to finishing that game)

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
The big question is whether Kojima will allow us to actually play his movie. He's become more and more reluctant with every MGS to actually allow the player to play. The last MGS I played took 20 minutes before it allowed me to actually do something.

That said, I do love the stories.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
It sounds great, but i'm still a bit worried, i really hate open world games because they are so empty and samey. I hate riding for 10 minutes just to get to the next fun part of the game. But i have faith in Kojima, he generally seem to have a good gradp on game mechanics and level design, so i have my fingers crossed that it's open for a very good reason.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Akichi Daikashima said:

I mean, in the gameplay demo, the thing that people use to sell the game that features the most spectacle, they fast-forwarded through, meaning that it can get pretty damn boring in the game.

But then again, I know nothing about MGS as a series or why people like it(the tone is inconsistent, the soundtrack is just ridiculous, but then they deal with stuff like waterboarding, and yet they have angsty 12-year-olds as main characters).
Just curious, how is the soundtrack ridiculous? Strikes me as very effective and fitting to the dramatic aspects of the games.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
MrBaskerville said:
Akichi Daikashima said:

Just curious, how is the soundtrack ridiculous? Strikes me as very effective and fitting to the dramatic aspects of the games.
It's just a pet peeve of mine, in the red band trailer.

"...WORDS THAT CAN KILL!"

Out of nowhere, and with zero self-awareness.

It could be that the game's OST will be more consistent, but the trailer left me a bit puzzled.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Akichi Daikashima said:
MrBaskerville said:
Akichi Daikashima said:

It's just a pet peeve of mine, in the red band trailer.

"...WORDS THAT CAN KILL!"

Out of nowhere, and with zero self-awareness.

It could be that the game's OST will be more consistent, but the trailer left me a bit puzzled.
Ah, that makes sense, i thought you were commenting on a specific game in the series, and found it a bit odd as it's usually one of the aspects that most agree to like. ^^

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Li Mu said:
The big question is whether Kojima will allow us to actually play his movie. He's become more and more reluctant with every MGS to actually allow the player to play. The last MGS I played took 20 minutes before it allowed me to actually do something.

That said, I do love the stories.
Have you played Peacewalker? If not, I'd recommend you go do that. It has tons of gameplay. The mission format helps. Cutscenes are brief compared to the other titles, and codec stuff is kept in extras if you want to hear them. Say what you will about Kojima, he does learn and listen from fans somewhat.

That's all I've got really. I'd probably say more, if we knew more. I am looking forward to the open world aspect and hopefully more base building.