Ouya Heading to Target Stores Nationwide

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Ouya Heading to Target Stores Nationwide

Starting this month, the Ouya will be available at Target stores across the country.

Last June, the Ouya started appearing at a few selected retail outlets, but until now, not a single nationwide chain has agreed to carry the little console in all of its stores. However, today in an interview with Polygon, Ouya founder Julie Uhrman revealed that Target has agreed to stock the Android-based microconsole at each of its 1,800 locations.

"What is the most exciting is how we've been embraced by retail," Uhrman said. "When we launched in June we were live in the U.S., Canada and the U.K. We launched with GameStop, Target, Best Buy and GAME. This month we are going full chain with Target."

The Ouya, and its newly redesigned packaging, will start to show up on Target shelves by the end of the month. The team is also putting together a swanky new kiosk, which will allow potential buyers to take the console for a spin. Those will be rolled out early next year.

During the interview, Uhrman was upfront about the Ouya's rocky history, but she remains optimistic about the future. "There were some absolutely unacceptable things that we just didn't, we didn't see regardless of the amount of testing we'd done," she said. "For a company that is less than 35 people that went from an idea to a full product in less than nine months and four months after launch is nearing 500 games with 25,000 developers, I think our successes far outweigh our misses. And yet that's what people want to talk about, but that's also what we want to focus on because that's what makes us better as we listen, iterate and use it to make the product better."

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/24/5023846/ouya-rolls-out-to-target-stores-nationwide-demo-kiosks-inbound]

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Love the point of sale packaging. They can stick in alongside the Tic-Tacs and Stride gum right at the register.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I can't help but feel like this is somewhat old news...I've been working at Target for nearly 3 years and we've been getting Ouya in at my store for the past couple of months.

Although now I think about it, I've never seen them stocked...maybe they're just offered up on the website, like the Neo*Geo X.

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
This is awesome news.

It can get into the hands of the best market it has. Parents with kids who don't want to shell out for an xbox or playstation or even a wii and games at $60 each which will get destroyed. Nothing to scratch, nothing to lose and the games are cheap.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
I fully expect to see these completely in stock a day after Black Friday.

There's no way people will care about Ouya come the holidays.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
fozzy360 said:
I fully expect to see these completely in stock a day after Black Friday.

There's no way people will care about Ouya come the holidays.
I wouldn't be so sure, a cheap console for casuals would sell well. I don't understand the hatred for the Ouya. Fine it's not the next box or PlayStation but neither is it trying to be.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
ascorbius said:
This is awesome news.

It can get into the hands of the best market it has. Parents with kids who don't want to shell out for an xbox or playstation or even a wii and games at $60 each which will get destroyed. Nothing to scratch, nothing to lose and the games are cheap.
Exactly. The only people really complaining about the console are, well... us lot. The ones who expected nothing but peerless quality from something that was never meant to directly compete with our current platforms anyway. This was never designed with (and I hate myself for using this term) the "hardcore gamer" in mind. This is the best chance it has.

Plus, all the kids who were never going to get a PS4 or XB1 can get something to play on now.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I maintain the Ouya is the answer to a question no one asked. Between tablets and smartphones (that parents already own) there isn't much point in buying more hardware that will do the same and tie up the family TV. I think the majority wants self-contained gaming devices for children. I expect the 2DS to sell well despite the fact that it's much less convenient and not much cheaper than the 3DS for this very reason.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I saw one of these last week at my local target and it never occurred to me that it was newsworthy. I always thought it was more of a niche system rather than a mass market one.

Best of luck to them, although I feel a little bad seeing them compete with two new AAA console launches this holiday season.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Well, I'd guess it'd be pretty sweet to load one up with emulators and take it to a friend's house. But I can do that on PC, so not much point. Might make a nice media hub, maybe.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Bless their heart. They're still trying.

On one hand, I do agree that the Ouya isn't exactly designed with us - gamers that gravitate toward consoles and more full gaming experiences - in mind, but the market of people who:

1) Want to play extremely casual games

2) Don't want to do it on a tablet, smart phone, or other mobile device that they probably already own

is pretty damn small, at least in my opinion. If people want these games, most likely they already have them on some type of mobile platform already, or if they don't, they'd probably prefer a tablet over a console anyway. The tablet, unlike the Ouya, is pretty multifunctional, a smart phone even moreso, so the Ouya doesn't exactly have a niche to appeal to.

Unless it sees a Notch or something developing some new product of indie gaming genius, I can't see the Ouya lasting past this decade, or even next year.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'm extremely confused about this. While I don't have pictorial evidence, I'm pretty sure I saw the controllers for the Ouya at my local Target a few weeks ago. One of them even had a clearance sticker on it (return item).

Based on that, I assumed the console would be floating around as well, but didn't feel like hunting it down. Were the controllers by themselves put up for retail long before the console?

Also, is that why we're getting a lot of news on the DualShock 4, despite the console not being out yet?