Just Cause Movie in the Works

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Just Cause Movie in the Works

The producer responsible for the Hitman and Kane and Lynch movies is trying his hand at adapting another Eidos franchise: Avalanche Studios' over-the-top action-fest Just Cause.

Adrian Askarieh, the producer who put together the Hitman movie and the upcoming Kane and Lynch adaptation, has obtained the rights for a Just Cause flick and is currently getting the project together.

Though Hitman and Kane and Lynch were big studio movies, don't expect exactly the same kind of product with Just Cause. For Askarieh, Just Cause will be an independent project. That doesn't mean he's going to make some artsy flick about a super agent getting over his girlfriend dumping him while overthrowing a military regime. It just means Askarieh's playing this one close to the chest.

"Hitman was a very successful movie for Fox, and I wanted to find a similar project in terms of its genre, international appeal and ability to do for a price, but do it independently in order to maximize the creative and financial upside that a project like this could generate," Askarieh told Variety [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007076.html?categoryId=1079&cs=1].

He's currently working on the movie with the Creative Artists Agency and wants $30 million in funding for the project. Considering it's still in such early stages of developments, don't expect the film to hit theaters (if it does) to coincide with Just Cause 2 next spring.

I think it could work, but then again a movie where things explode and people do basejumping sounds like a just plain great idea to me.

So then, I guess it's time to do that thing we always do and start arguing over who would be the best person to play the main character, Rico. Antonio Banderas would be the obvious pick, and a Just Cause movie would be a cool throwback to his El Mariachi/Desperado/Once Upon a Time in Mexico days, but I'm going to say it should be Billy Dee Williams. Don't ask me why, it's just a feeling.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
If Antonio Banderas DOESN'T play the main character, this movie is screwed.
I agree 100%

No other person can fit the roll.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
HardRockSamurai said:
That, and if 50% of this movie doesn't include a Grappling Hook as well.
And lets not forget the island: at least 90% of this movie needs to take place on a fucking tropical island...

Jay Cee

Nov 27, 2008
There was a Kane & Lynch movie?

This whole concept is a little perplexing, since Just Cause wasn't the ground-breaking epic it thought it was.
And it certainly didn't warrant a movie, and definitely not the imminent sequel.

I find it so shockingly arrogant of the movie industry to assume that a video game would work in their "God like context" of a film.

Some games should just REMAIN games.

hansari

May 31, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
HardRockSamurai said:
NoMoreSanity said:
HardRockSamurai said:
And lets not forget the island: at least 90% of this movie needs to take place on a fucking tropical island...
Okay, now all it needs is lot's of bad one-liners, Micheal Bay levels of Explosions, and Side Boob up the ass and we've got a movie.

Oh, and racism, can't forget the racism.
Speaking of "Once upon a time in mexico" and boobs...

Please let there be Salma Hayek....

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
HardRockSamurai said:
NoMoreSanity said:
HardRockSamurai said:
Okay, now all it needs is lot's of bad one-liners, Micheal Bay levels of Explosions, and Side Boob up the ass and we've got a movie.

Oh, and racism, can't forget the racism.
Hey I think we just finished the movie. Onto the DVD!!!

crooked_ferret

Jul 30, 2009
The game was so poorly done and never received any level of support I'm surprised to find it out of all the possibilities to be the one considered for a movie like this.
I actually just attempted to give it another play through the other day, but the endless random sound ques and repeated phrases...
Even when it was new I didn't really consider it a good game.
Whatever....

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
HardRockSamurai said:
I got a fever... and the only cure, IS MORE GRAPPLING HOOK.

NotHisRealName

Jul 15, 2009
Keane Ng said:
So then, I guess it's time to do that thing we always do and start arguing over who would be the best person to play the main character, Rico. Antonio Banderas would be the obvious pick, and a Just Cause movie would be a cool throwback to his El Mariachi/Desperado/Once Upon a Time in Mexico days, but I'm going to say it should be Billy Dee Williams. Don't ask me why, it's just a feeling.

Antonio Banderas wasn't in El Mariachi, though the original Mariachi (from El Mariachi), Carlos Gallardo, does appear in Desperado as one of the three Mariachi's to join 'El' during the final gunfight.

Anyway, never played Just Cause... it looked kinda crap to me.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:
So very true.

Actually,that's not bad idea,since Just Cause is already an action film/James Bond parody. In video game format. The only thing that worries me is that movie will be made by a guy who made an action flick from Hitman. There's two possibilities now.

A) He pumps everything he works on with action. It will be good for Just Cause movie.

B) He screws up everything he works on. It will be very bad for Just Cause movie.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
theultimateend said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Side Boob up the ass
Am I the only one that got a REALLY weird visual from that?
Well not anymore.

Just Cause is essentially the Transformers of video game world anyway, I reckon it could easily be made into a 'good' no brainer action film, I'm sure as hell not gonna watch it though.