Pokemon X and Y Patch Out in Nintendo eShop

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Pokemon X and Y Patch Out in Nintendo eShop

Saving in the outer parts of Lumiose City will no longer break the game.

It was the first time a Pokemon game launched worldwide, but over a week ago Pokemon X and Y players discovered when they saved in certain areas of Lumiose City, their game broke [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128740-Potential-Save-Destroying-Bug-Found-in-Pokemon-X-and-Y]. Nintendo has a patch available for download on the eShop that will fix the bug preventing players from resuming their game after saving in areas of Lumiose City. If you already encountered the bug and have not deleted your save data yet, fear not - the patch will restore your game and you can pick up where you left off. The patch also fixes a bug that prompted a communication error in the Global Trade System when you use a filter for searching for Pokemon.

Even if you have not encountered the bug, downloading the patch would be in your best interest to ensure saving in Lumiose City doesn't freeze your game.

To download the patch, either go to the eShop, which should prompt you to download the update, or you can use the 3DS camera QR code scanner to scan the pictured QR codes. To do this, in the eShop, go to the menu and select Settings/Other, and then select Scan QR Code.

The patch is 229 blocks. There are two patches: one for Pokemon X and one for Pokemon Y. Obviously if you only have one of the two, you need only download the patch corresponding to the version you own.

The Lumiose City bug was the most potentially dangerous glitch in X and Y. With patch 1.1 fixing the problem, we can hope there will be no further problems to deal with.

Source: Serebii [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/ekjj/update/index.html]

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Thanks for the heads up about the patch. I've been terified of saving in Lumiose City ever since I heard about the bug.

Also thanks for including the convenient QR code in the article that saved me the time.

BooTsPs3

Feb 2, 2011
Now if only they would patch the framerate problems...
Seriously, horde battles with trevenant are at a constant 10ish fps.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
Oh crap, I saved in Lumiose City a bunch. Guess I got lucky. Thanks for the heads up on the patch

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
And downloaded to my 3DS as we speak, glad to see they got the patch out in record time like this. Also glad to see that the patch doesn't gobble up a ton of blocks on the card as well.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
I hate to be snarky, but just imagine if it was someone like EA who owned the Pokemon franchise. They would have ignored this for as long as they could while drip feeding us with DLC that we didn't ask for and noone wants to buy now.

Yeah, I'll shut up now. Good on Nintendo and all that.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
This is frankly what we should expect from companies like Nintendo at this point. It's nice that they deliver and were open and honest about the whole thing, but they've known about the bug for around 10 days and it has destroyed dozens of hours of effort for some people.

The QR distribution is a nice touch though, much better than trying to navigate their storefront.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
TheEvilCheese said:
This is frankly what we should expect from companies like Nintendo at this point. It's nice that they deliver and were open and honest about the whole thing, but they've known about the bug for around 10 days and it has destroyed dozens of hours of effort for some people.
and yet less then a day after the bug was found, Nintendo kicked out a message telling people where not to save to avoid the bug entirely, making it a none issue for most people playing due to how little you really need to be in 'not Paris'.

which is far more then we'd have gotten out of anyone else :p

OT: wee I can save there now ... >.>now I just need a reason to care the town exists.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Yay! I was looking to try out the QR code reader thing on my 2ds.

TizzytheTormentor said:
Damn, my card has like 400 blocks left due to space and I was hoping to save it for downloadable Phoenix Wright episodes...

Might abandon Animal Crossing, got bored of it 2 months ago.
But... but...
http://kotaku.com/dear-pokemon-players-your-animal-crossing-town-misses-1450833775

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Rebel_Raven said:

TizzytheTormentor said:
Damn, my card has like 400 blocks left due to space and I was hoping to save it for downloadable Phoenix Wright episodes...

But... but...
http://kotaku.com/dear-pokemon-players-your-animal-crossing-town-misses-1450833775
Awww now I have to go find my Animal Crossing cart and say sorry to everyone for leaving them for so long ;(

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
BooTsPs3 said:
You can't patch in better hardware. The game pushes the 3DS to it's limit. It's a powerful system with a great processor (about as powerful as a PS2), and while I don't know about GPU specs, it's just basically asking too much from the system. Not that the 3DS is a bad system either, it's just the devs wanted to go above and beyond, and they did. They didn't let the rare battle animation framedrops get in their way, and I would say they delivered a fantastic game despite the sacrifice. I honestly don't mind, it doesn't bug me enough to care, but I just feel a compulsion to defend their decision.

Rebel_Raven said:

TizzytheTormentor said:

But... but...
I shed a manly tear. Now if only Animal Crossing really had that kind of character development. I would be so much more attached to Paradice....Well, the cart's on the nightstand, I suppose I can come back home for a while.

BooTsPs3

Feb 2, 2011
EHKOS said:
BooTsPs3 said:
You can't patch in better hardware. The game pushes the 3DS to it's limit. It's a powerful system with a great processor (about as powerful as a PS2), and while I don't know about GPU specs, it's just basically asking too much from the system. Not that the 3DS is a bad system either, it's just the devs wanted to go above and beyond, and they did. They didn't let the rare battle animation framedrops get in their way, and I would say they delivered a fantastic game despite the sacrifice. I honestly don't mind, it doesn't bug me enough to care, but I just feel a compulsion to defend their decision.
You can patch better optimisation however. You can also not release a game when certain parts have such bad framerates. Seriously, once again, horde battles with trevenant. Absolutely appalling.

And then i must ask two more questions. Why push the 3d so hard on the 3ds when one of the biggest (THE biggest?) system sellers barely supports 3d. And why support 3d at all when it just makes the game painful to watch as the framerate becomes unbearable.

I'd have preferred a less graphically impressive game if it ran better. Seriously, if a game isn't on PC i expect it to retain a solid framerate since i can't improve it myself.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
I never seem to get any of these glitches, but that may be because when in Lumiose, I only save directly in front of the hairstylist so I can soft reset if the style and color aren't what I thought they would be. Guess I should just get the patch anyways.