PlayStation 4 Controller Works on a Mac

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
PlayStation 4 Controller Works on a Mac

[vine=hpeXxIeE1Qx]

Sony's DualShock 4 controller is compatible with Macintosh computers.

We're still a few weeks away from the PlayStation 4 launch, but DualShock 4 controllers are already starting to appear in the wild. Today Chris Gallizzi, whose Twitter profile [https://twitter.com/cgallizzi] identifies him as a "Game Hacker" and "Breaker of Things," posted a short video of the DualShock being used as a basic control pad on a Macintosh.

Obviously, Apple computers aren't typically preferred by gamers, but Macintosh compatibility isn't terribly surprising. Earlier this month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128467-Yoshida-PS4-Controller-Basic-Functionality-Will-Work-On-PC], Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios, revealed that the DualShock 4's basic functions will "work just fine" on a PC, which probably means that they operate on the same standards that are currently supported by Windows and Mac OS.

Plus, Mr. Gallizzi is playing Hotline Miami, which doesn't exactly use a complicated set of controls.

So far, Sony hasn't revealed plans to expand the controller's PC compatibility past the most basic functions. This means that some of its more impressive features, like the front-facing touchpad or motion controls, probably won't be supported. So, at this point, the DualShock 4 is about as functional as one of those bargain-bin controllers that you might find at Walmart.

Source: Vine [https://vine.co/v/hpeXxIeE1Qx]

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Now that these things seem to be going on sale everywhere, I can't help but wonder why more people haven't made videos connecting 'em to Windows machines. I've seen a few where it was clearly not working right and the screen kept rotating, but I suspect they just needed calibrated (something no video I saw attempted). Working correctly on Windows is a key factor in whether I buy one of these babies before launch (especially since I have no intention of getting a PS4 until either The Crew or Metal Gear Solid V comes out).

P.S. Thanks

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Any controller can work on any PC, regardless of OS. All you need are drivers, and maybe an adapter in case it doesn't have a USB connector.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Doom972 said:
Any controller can work on any PC, regardless of OS. All you need are drivers, and maybe an adapter in case it doesn't have a USB connector.
I think, this is more about driver-less support. Obviously that with the right drivers, ANY input device works (including a Wii-Mote), but without, it's not that common.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Nice to hear drivers will support more than just Windows. Linux too hopefully.

Since I heard the PS4 controller would work out the box for pc's I've wanted to get one to play pc games with more than actually buying a PS4. Now if the controllers where not £55 I'd buy one on launch day.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
That's cool but as noted already nearly any controller will work as long as you have the right drivers. Also my PS3 controllers work with no hassle on my Mac over blue tooth so its not much of a surprise the PS4's will as well.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Nowhere Man said:
That's cool but as noted already nearly any controller will work as long as you have the right drivers. Also my PS3 controllers work with no hassle on my Mac over blue tooth.
That's fine and dandy, but what the story really is here is that it doesn't NEED a custom driver. It works out of the box. That's a lot less common.

P.S. Thanks

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Covarr said:
Nowhere Man said:
That's cool but as noted already nearly any controller will work as long as you have the right drivers. Also my PS3 controllers work with no hassle on my Mac over blue tooth.
That's fine and dandy, but what the story really is here is that it doesn't NEED a custom driver. It works out of the box. That's a lot less common.

P.S. Thanks
Perhaps I should of specified further in my second sentence, but PS3 controllers do not need custom drivers to work on a Mac either, thus my lack of surprise that the PS4's won't.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Bindal said:
Doom972 said:
I think, this is more about driver-less support. Obviously that with the right drivers, ANY input device works (including a Wii-Mote), but without, it's not that common.
No such thing as driverless support, either it comes with its own proprietary drivers, or it supports generic drivers that come with the OS. Official support for something as non-conventional as Wii-mote/Move/Kinect would be interesting, but we had support for conventional controllers (anything with a d-pad/stick and buttons) since the SideWinder days.

If they made proprietary drivers for it, all they really did was catch up with Microsoft, who's Xbox 360 controller has become the standard for PC games that use controllers.